Sacd?

guapote
guapote Posts: 3
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hi I have a 7.1 set-up with a pair of old SDA2c's as the fronts a csp 1000 as the center a pair of FX1000's at the sides and a pair of 10b's at the rear. This is a great set-up for Home Theater and surround music. My question is I'm thinking about getting a SACD player (the high end sony 777es? I think that's the model number) and am wondering if my speaker set up is going to be able to resolve the best of this high resolution format or do I need new speakers? My preamp is a Lexicon MC-1 (will be a MC12 if I get the SACD player) and sunfire grand signature amps. Thanks for any feedback, Mel
Post edited by guapote on

Comments

• pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited March 2002
    My favorite label—Telarc—now records in that format. Not being too familiar with it, I'm wondering if there are a lot of CDs available in the format, and what people's experience has been with SACD.

Give War A Chance
  • pensacola
    edited March 2002
    Might find this interesting—
    Telarc has some rather detailed info on SACD and loudspeaker setup here:

http://www.telarc.com/surround/default.asp?mscssid=98JFP1QP8HSR2P270G05AFURQ6WC0FWA

Give War A Chance
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    quapote: How about considering a sony dvp-s9000es player ? If you are not familiar with this unit it is awesome. It is a cd, dvd, progressive, sacd player all in one unit. The price is right and alot to offer in a all in one unit. Yes I bought one and I am very happy. It also looks cool which is a plus. By the way when you decide to bye that mc-12 and sunfire amp let me know I could work out a deal on a trade in with your mc-1 and get you a good deal on one or both of your a/v products. It's up to you just trying to help you. Have fun.......
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    not sacd, but i just checked out the link, i've never purchased a telarc cd before, but i've heard the referenced often. so i was checking out the site and i stumbled across their 'sale' section, picked up 4 telarc classical collections, vol. 2,3,5 &9 for less than $17 shipped! should be a great inrtoduction to this label. i have alot of the stuff on these samplers (will provide good side by side comparasion to EMI/other recordings i currently own), but there's lots of new stuff too!
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    thats a good link pensacola, you can listen to mp3 128k, and hear some of the music that telarc has. and they have a good selection of multi-channel sacd and dvd-audio. good post.

thanks

ps i have a lot of older telarc cds and they where the frist to have real good cds
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • pensacola
    edited March 2002
    Telarc's been recording digitally since the late 70s. Even some of their first ones (before CDs) are better than many recordings today. From the start, they realized that the key to a natural-sounding recording was minimalist micing—using only 2-3 mics in most their acoustic projects. And no signal processing.

I would be interested in learning the technical aspects of their SACD's. Do they use multiple mics, corresponding to each discrete channel—or are the surround channels digitally created, or what...?

At last count, I had 51 Telarc CDs—and a few on vinyl, though they're "stored-away".

Give War A Chance
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Guapote....

You have a very nice speaker setup.
    With that said.... I would have to say...NO. Your old Polk's probably aren't going to resolve SACD properly.

You will hear some improvement. But, it won't be anything as detailed as the source material.

Old Polk's aren't known for being detailed. Wish it were true - it just isn't. I am in a similar dilemma and will probably upgrade away from Polk someday as a result. The LSi series may be able to accomodate the DVD-A/SACD format better. Though, I doubt even these speakers will resolve the sound completely.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    i know i am going to upgrade to lsi-9, the only thing is if the lsi-9 will match my cs-400i center .
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.