Circuit City/and all other dealer's around the Phila to New York area.

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi guys,
I'm completly discusted with all the dealer's around here.The Wiz,evey Circuit City,and a couple in New York city I went to Yesterday.I had a job in New York city yesterday.I plasma,Pioneer Elite vsx47tx,Sony dvd,mitsubighi vcr,Digital cable,Faroudja native rate scaler,Velodyne sub,Transparent interconnects,and NHT inwall speaker's.Well the system came out well,and My partener and I wanted to see the audio and video stores around the city.well traffic waas out of control and we couldn't go where we wanted to due to parking.we stopped in a circiut city so he could pick up a cd,and I went to quickly check out the New Polk's.Let me tell you,nothing worked right in there sound room's If you can call it that,They had the rti70's but they sounded like hell on the Onkyo 898 as it is a horriblle sounding receiver as all thee line is.I couldn't get any of the Harman Karden stuff going as most of them would only play left channel or right.The store was noisy,so how the hell can you demo like that???I've been to the Wiz latley and it was horrifing.I can't seem to get a demo on Polk's anywhere.My partener found this other place that carried Polk's in the city and it looked like a American applience store.Awefull.The gear was locked up in this glass cabnet like someone would steal it if it wern't.I asked 3 different salesman for a demo and they said they didn't have the key's.They had low line sony receiver's anyway so how the hell do you demo like that??????????
I hate everyplace where Polk's are around here, you can't get a good demo,if one at all.I wish Polk would move into a dealer that has demo room's, good equipment,has salesman that know something,anything would be nice,I'm so sick and tired of going to these hole in the ground electronic stores that don't know **** fromm **** about sound.
Polk you really should get out and see your demo room's where your speakers are being sold!!!
Bryn Mawr stereo was the last place that used to carry Polk's that that good to great gear and good sound room's.
Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I hear ya, man. There's a Polk dealer within 30 minutes of my house that isn't bad, but they're certainly not super. They do have more knowledgable people than CC, but they only have one demo room (which had the SRT's last time I was there....long time ago). Unfortunately they drive the speakers with receivers, but Tweeter is often guilty of this as well.

Really I think your comments about poor demoing conditions apply to just about every hi-fi store. I've only found one store that has truly excellent conditions for demoing. The store you work for looks like they have a really nice setup based on what they show on their website.

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    GNT in lancaster has a pretty nice set-up. i think they have 5 rooms, from denon 5700's, to anthemseperates and CJ tube stuff. most of the guys know their sutff, but a couple are real **** clowns. another local hi-fi store (same that aaron mentioned) is getting better. they now have 3 listening rooms, but pretty much still all receivers. one set-up is running proceed seperates. they are cool, cause they'll move/hook up whatever speaker you want to a particular rec./dvd/etc. Glick audio is strickly marantz & McIntosh and i can't remember if they had a single receiver in the place last time i went. all it is, is one demo room, and a small desk/reception area, and you can pretty much only listen to what they have set-up at the time. the 3 are within 20 minutes fo each other, so it may be worth the drive for you...
  • MaddogCT
    MaddogCT Posts: 1
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The stores in Norwalk, CT (The Wiz and Circuit City) were getting set up for all the new lines coming out soon. The Wiz's audio room and the the reciver room were dismantled, nothing was on the shelf except for a few dusty demo's for sale for $100 off. C.C's rooms were up and running, but the reciever section was for the most part bare. It's like car dealers in the fall, get the old stuff out and bring in the new.
  • mantis
    edited March 2002
    Options
    There is a couple of good stores around my way.None carry Polk's.They all think that Polk's are a joke and belong where they are(meaning Circuit City).I disagree.I have heard almost every speaker made and for the Money,Polk makes a good well rounded speaker.There is much better speaker's on the market,but you have to spend alot more to get alot more.But that aside,I don't mind testing Polk's on receiver's,I use a Denon avr3801 for theater anyway.I use B&K for 2 channel when I feel like hooking up my amp and use the Denon as a preamp.But I would for once like to go to a Polk dealer that has top of the line receiver's like Pioneer Elite vsx49tx,B&K avr307,Denon avr5800,Rotel 1065,even Yamaha rxv1 would do.Sony Da5 es would be nie,how about Marantz,they make great sounding receiver's.Low end receiver's in my opinion,low end receiver's just suck the life out of good speaker's.Technics,Kenwood,Harman kardon,Onkyo,Integra,regular Pioneer,low end Yamaha.(don't get offended if you own any of these,I'm not kicking your gear,it's just not for me or my Polk's).I often think about getting out all my Polk's and upgrading to something better because I got to hear them on better gear.We have Dynaudio's,B&W,Martin Logan,and I've always liked the Vienna's when I used to work for tweeter.But I stick with my Polk's and would like to but new and better Polk's but I can't find anywhere that nice to go,I can bring my own music and movies,and get thing 's to work.
    JUICE,
    Where is this GNT store in Lancaster???I go there from time to time doing Install's(we have some customer's up that way.It's not that far from where I live(Lower Bucks county in Pa,Croydon,PA)
    Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I didn't mention the good stores around my way that Don't carry Polk's.World wide stereo and video(BoB and Ron's)have good demo room's,and very good gear,they are in Mongomery county on 309 north.Tweeter store's are ok to demo in but not great.Audio Lab in Fairless hills is pretty nice ,you can have a nice demo there.Hi Fi house in Ardmore is good ,they are about 10 minutes from our store.Everywhere else is ...well not up to par.Hi fi Sales is ok in Medford or chery hill, it's right near both kinda in the middle,You can get an ok demo there.Our store is really nice ,we have all open rooms ,no speaker switchers,and you can sit in theater seats or couches.You can close the door and go at it.It make buying nice,nobody to bother you,no **** salesman that have no clue,But our store is high end,we have lower mid fi stuff,but Id rather keep my Polk's over like the B&W dm line and the newer 600 series.RBH sucks I don't like them at all,and micro systems is not my style.So what do I do???Buy new **** from our store,or try to find a good quality store that carries Polk's and I mean the whole line including the LSi line which I want to look at.But the Quest goes on.
    Dan
    Dan
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis

JUICE,
    Where is this GNT store in Lancaster???
    Dan

if you are familiar with rte. 30, heading west bound get off at the centerville rd. exit, turn left onto centerville rd., it's a 1/2 mile down on your left (right next to "that fish place"). they don't carry polks, but have lots of nice equipment, definitely worth a stop. wee-bee does carry polks, if you are interested in their location, drop me an email, i'll get you directions...