itunes question

simm
simm Posts: 562
edited May 2014 in Going Digital
Is it possible to take an iTunes account that exists of burned CD's only, no downloads, and create a new account and download that music into it? My family shares an account and I have all my music on my laptop and want to copy to an external hard drive and then create a new iTunes account on a separate computer and copy that music into it. I am starting to have issues with my current computer and it seems like now is as good a time as any to do this if it is possible. c
Post edited by simm on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited May 2014
    Yes, I did this recently when I bought a new PC. Make sure you load up the music on the computer first. Then download ITunes. When the download is complete it will ask you to import existing media. Hope this helps. Cheers.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2014
    That helps me as I am thinking of replacing my 9 year old XP machine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    edited May 2014
    nap wrote: »
    Yes, I did this recently when I bought a new PC. Make sure you load up the music on the computer first. Then download ITunes. When the download is complete it will ask you to import existing media. Hope this helps. Cheers.

So I can export onto a hard drive with the existing iTunes ID and create a new iTunes ID on a new computer and then copy to the new one? Anything I need to make sure I do or things to look for when I go to use the new account? I want to make sure my ipod will sync to it and I can access it with remote app through airport express to stream through stereo.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited May 2014
    simm wrote: »
    So I can export onto a hard drive with the existing iTunes ID and create a new iTunes ID on a new computer and then copy to the new one? Anything I need to make sure I do or things to look for when I go to use the new account? I want to make sure my ipod will sync to it and I can access it with remote app through airport express to stream through stereo.

I did this using the same Apple ID when changing computers. I am not so sure about the wrinkle of using a new ID. However, the process as described worked great for me. Like I said, import the music first before you download I tunes. Use the same file structure as is currently used on the PC you are copying everything from. I would think that you would still be able to access everything from your old ID on the new PC. Hope this helps. Cheers.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2014
    If the computer you have may be ready to bite the dust soon, copy all the media you want to save to an external hard drive asap. As far as I know, the media you have on your computer is media that can be played on any computer, and does not require an itunes ID to play it. I recently copied all the media I have on one computer onto a large hard drive and can play that media on another computer using itunes without any problems. The second computer does not have an apple itunes ID.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • deafbykhorns
    deafbykhorns Posts: 150
    edited May 2014
    What he said
    The media is usually located under users
    Main System- Scratch built 2A3 , Lightspeed preamp, Technics SP15/Graham/XV1s,Klipschorns w/ALK xovers/Trachorns, Speakercraft MT8(4), Sonos ZP90, Yamaha Aventage for surround
    Office System- Adcom GTP500, Bedini 45/45,Lexicon RT-20,Enlightened Audio DAC, Polk SDA2.3TL, Northcreek Borealis
  • bayni7
    bayni7 Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    You can transfer any music you ripped from CD's to any computer, even songs downloaded from iTunes. I believe all music from iTunes are DRM free, meaning there is no restrictions on what device the song can be played on as long as that device can support that file type. It's easy, just select the songs from the iTunes interface and dragging them to the file window to your external drive.

If you signed up for a iTunes Match you can manage all your music on your primary computer and have access to it on other computers that are signed in to your iTunes account. The only thing catch is, the other computers will have access to all the music from your primary but they will be streaming, but you do have the option to download them to that computer as well.