Amplifier Power

Options
gregure
gregure Posts: 871
edited July 2004 in Troubleshooting
Well, I've heard it on the forum enough times, but I wanted to check with Polk CS to make sure. I will be buying an Outlaw 950 preamp coupled with a 770 amp shortly in the future. The 770 outputs 200 watts/channel. I want to make sure that exceeding the recommended amplifier power for my FXi 3's and my Rti 4 as surrounds will not blow them out. Many on the forum have assured me that this should not be a problem, but then what are recommended amp ratings for? I don't play music or movies insanely loud, but I do like them pretty loud from time to time. Am I risking a blowout sending 200 watts to these smaller speakers? Any advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks.
Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
CSi5-Center (for sale**)
FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
Martin Logan Depth-Sub
B&K AVR 507
Pimare CD21-CD Player
Denon 1815-DVD Player
Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
Post edited by gregure on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Don't give it a second thought. Low power and clipping fries tweets, not clean high power. The speaks will thank you for it. I'm sending my LSi7's 300 watts per and they sing right along.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Nope. You are much more likely to blow speaks by pushing an underpowered amp to clipping than overpowering. Your ears will tell you when the speaks have too much juice. BTW I have a 220 watt parasound that is driving 150 watt rated Lsi7s, never had a problem at all, and it sounds great.

There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Oops. Looks like you beat me to the punch Doc. I'll just have to second your opinion.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • gregure
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I have every confidence that what you guys are telling me is true, but if that is the case, why do these speaker manufacturers have maximum amplification recommendations, if it is perfectly safe to drive them with well over that wattage? :confused:
    Current System:

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I'm sure the max power rating deals with the woofer/mid bass unit and its excursion capabilities. With enough power and a heavy enough bass signal, you can simply over drive the woofer even if the amp isn't clipping.

Under normal listening conditions, using an overrated amp is FAR preferable to using one near the bottom of the rating scale. Like King said, use your ears and common sense and you will never roach a speaker with a clean high power amp. Almost invariably, it's the tweeter that buys the farm from clipping an underpowered amp.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gregure
    edited July 2004
    Options
    In other words, the tweeter can handle higher watt loads, but the woofers can't? Is this basically canceled out by using a crossover to the sub?
    Current System:

CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Just buy it. Tons of reserve power. If I could start from scratch this is the pre/amp set I would buy.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I whole heartedly agree with these guys concerning more power than what is stamped on the speaker. I do not know exactly why they have that rating either. Lately I have been looking at upgrading to at least 200 watts for my "100 watt Klipsches"

Just keep the volume under control........:D ......Pat
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's