How many different ways....

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,903
edited May 2014 in Going Digital
....can you say "Suck it" ?

http://news.yahoo.com/why-going-absolutely-hate-comcast-data-caps-172556890.html

I always said as the more people cut the cord and move to online habits, cost of those online habits will go north. Case in point with Comcast. They used to throttle down the speeds before, but now it seems they want to find a way to extract more coinage. Wondering if this has anything to do with the FCC ruling that came down today of preferred network speeds and locking out competition.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's
Post edited by tonyb on

Comments

• Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited May 2014
    Just another way for Comcast to screw us.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2014
    I am home based business and DSL is not an option as I remote in to clients. I have no option for fiber so I guess I'll just bend over
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited May 2014
    300GB really is more than most need. I'm a pretty heavy user. I surf the web for hours each day, my kids watch Netflix every chance they get, I download torrents every week including certain weekly shows that I can't get from Comcast. In addition, I often binge download things from the past. For instance, last month, I downloaded 5 seasons of an old favorite that is not available on Netflix/Amazon along with 2 seasons of another show that is not available. These are large HD video files. All that and I was still only at 286GB for the month.

Data caps have been in place from AT&T for some time as well, but it doesn't get as much press.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    Did any of you guys pay attention today to the FCC ruling ?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/05/14/fcc-to-cripple-internet/?intcmp=latestnews

It's also on the table to name the big dogs "common carriers" further making them subject to even more regulation. The internet has always been neutral, to change that would be disaster.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    edited May 2014
    The FCC has set up a website for the public to comment on the latest ruling. I suggest that everyone that wants to have their voice heard send in their comments.

http://www.fcc.gov/page/fcc-establishes-new-inbox-open-internet-comments

Here's another article on the ruling:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/05/15/fcc-net-neutrality-rules/9116157/
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2014
    Damn, my co-workers and I just had this conversation about how much they hate Comcast and like ATT U verse. I considered ATT but did not like the idea of capped home internet. I guess in the future we all just need to put the computers down and turn off the TV and go do something else. $140+ a month for Triple play, $120 a months for 3 cell phone lines....$1680+$1440=$3120. Technology is getting too expensive. Time to get off the phone, pull out the boards games and go for more walks, etc... not happy about the future of Cable, Internet, and cellular.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,838
    edited May 2014
    That is f****** ridicules.. Some of the crap these guys come up with is mind boggling...
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2014
    Need a boycott day website to call in and cancel all at once...getting out of hand
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2014
    I'm just waiting for Google to buy the internet and kick all the cable companies to the curb. Then we will truly be screwed!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2014
    dkg999 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for Google to buy the internet and kick all the cable companies to the curb. Then we will truly be screwed!

If Gov't lets Comcast/TWC merge then at least we will have a choice with Google. Neither Google, AT&T nor Verizon is making any push to expand their high speed very quickly. Everyone is tied up in getting underground to expand in existing communities. Cities are reluctant to give right a ways as these companies want the cities to absorb the cost for repairs to roadways and structure and most cities are strapped.

Comcast/TW structure is in place although antiquated is still controlling the overall market.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited May 2014
    That does stink. I have comcast and we have regular cable and a box on the main tv in the house but, I refuse to pay for each tv in the house to have a box so, Roku & amamzon fire is on the rest of the TV's and the kids stream from hulu or netflix. The kids stuff is constantly on on top of them streaming on the phones via wifi at the house. This would put a world of hurt on our house thats for sure.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited May 2014
    One word...Dish.....And I have not looked back...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    edited May 2014
    But ... but ... our internet speeds are so FAST, somebody has to pay for that, right ? The FCC knows best.

"Averaging speeds of 20.77 Mbps, the US falls behind countries like Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia, and Uruguay.
    Its upload speeds are even worse. Globally, the U.S. ranks 42nd with an average upload speed of 6.31 Mbps, behind Lesotho, Belarus, Slovenia, and other countries you only hear mentioned on Jeopardy."

http://theweek.com/article/index/257404/why-is-american-internet-so-slow

Oh well, I guess I could go back to my 1200 baud dial-up from Juno for $29.99 a month.
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    Basically as I see it, eventually you'll have a 2 tiered system, much like HC is becoming. Those with a lot of coin in their pockets get better speed, those that don't will be throttled down or content limited. Start ups...aka, competition, will be seriously limited.

How does that improve anything ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's