SDA-SRS2 vs SDA-1C -- comparison of sound and value

Options
Mystery
Mystery Posts: 2,546
edited April 2014 in Vintage Speakers
I'm looking at a pair of SDA-SRS2's and of course they are not hot rodded but do have RDO-194's and upgraded crossovers (not sure what brand caps).
I can do few other small upgrades like dynamat, epoxy etc... myself later on.
Would like to get an opinion on how different (better?) they are compared to 1C's.
I have read hundreds of threads but never heard neither in person.

Specs of 1C:
Years of Production: 1989
Original MSRP: $1,800/pair
Drivers: 2 - 1" tweeter, 4 - 6.5" midrange, 1 - 12" sub-bass radiator
Dimensions: 44"H x 16.563"W x 11.5"D
Weight: 100 pounds each
Specifications
Frequency Response: 15Hz - 26kHz
Impedence: 6 Ohms
Recommended Power: 50 - 500 watts per channel
Efficiency: 90dB

Specs of SRS2:
Years of Production: 1986-88
Original MSRP: $2,200/pair
Drivers: 2 - 1" SL2000 tweeters, 4 - 6.5" midranges, 1 - 15" fluid-coupled subwoofer
Dimensions: 50"H x 20.688"W x 12.344"D
Weight: 135 pounds each
Specifications
Frequency Response: 12Hz - 26kHz
Impedence: 4 Ohms
Recommended Power: 10-750 watts per channel
Efficiency: 92dB

From the specs, SRS2's are taller/wider, quite heavier and go 3dB lower with 2dB more efficiency.
I have amps that can deliver 330 wpc at 4 ohms so that'll be way more than ear bleeding level in my 14 x 14 (or 14 x 26) long formal living/dining room.
On the Polk ladder, SRS2's are above 1C's but how better are they?
From what I read, SRS2's will have wider soundstage but sound pretty much the same???
Also, what is a good price? Seller asking $600.

Comments from those who've heard at least one of them would be more meaningful than just 'I suppose they'll be better as they are high up in the model list' replies as I already ****-u-med that.
Thank you.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
Post edited by Mystery on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If you have already modded out the 1c's I would just stick with them as IMHO, there will be a negligible improvement. The one area the SRS2's will be better at and that would be in the low frequencies due to the larger passive radiator.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mystery
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I don't have 1C.
    As I mentioned, I've never heard neither of them and I was planning on getting 1C's to see if they have better mid range than SDA-2 models but want to skip and move up the ladder if an opportunity comes.

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited March 2014
    Options
    That's a good price if they are already capped with Rdo-194 you know that costs a bit (300+) even if you do the work yourself.
    You know what I have and given the choice both priced the same and in the same condition I would go with the SRS2. One thing about the 1C is they are 6 ohms so more friendly and the pin blade and crossover is newer gen. The big guys will dig a little deeper, like my 2.3tls.

If you have already modded out the 1c's I would just stick with them as IMHO, there will be a negligible improvement. The one area the SRS2's will be better at and that would be in the low frequencies due to the larger passive radiator.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The SRS 2s will have a wider soundstage due to the wider placement of the mids. The lows are lower simply because cabinet volume and radiator/port size since the number of mids making bass is the same.

I don't know what you call hot-rodded, but new tweeters and crossovers is hot-rodded in my book.

The SRS 2s may not be able to be driven with mono blocks at all due to blade-blade IC. This could be a deal breaker for some for sure.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2014
    Options
    WHICH SRS 2s? After years of following Craigslist and eBay advertisements, I've never seen an SRS 2 described as blade/blade or pin/blade; and most don't even show a decent photo of the binding post cup.

The blade/blade SRS 2 is a larger version of the SDA 1B. Cannot use with non-common-ground amps. Like the 1B, they can sound spectacular.
    The pin/blade SRS 2 is a larger version of the SDA 1C. Can be used with common ground amps and an isolation transformer like the AI-1 or Dreadnaught. Binding post cup has two pair of posts, with jumper wires to connect hf and lf crossovers. (in other words, bi-ampable)

Located near Denver, with replaced tweeters and fresh caps? I called that guy months ago, as best I could tell (the owner didn't seem to know much about the speakers) they were modified first-style SRS 2s. I think the interconnect had been re-wired, and the current owner didn't know about blade/blade vs. pin/blade.

IF (big IF) you never want to use non-common-ground amplifiers, they'd probably be a good deal.
  • Mystery
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I thought hot rodded includes inductors as well as caps and resistors.

• chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I am debating these two models as we speak. I have had a my modded 1C's for a couple of years now and just recently fell into a nice pair of SRS 2's with RDO's only (blade/blade)

One thing I can't get over is the low end from the SRS 2's, its pretty impressive. But, my 1C's are very mint and all the mods are done already. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one so it would depend on your listening preference, and maybe room size.

Do you have a line on some 1C's? How much? SRS2's with RDO's and new caps for $600 isn't bad IMO, actually sounds like a good deal to me.

Keep us posted, I would like to hear your impressions on whichever you choose.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,455
    edited March 2014
    Options
    600.00 is a good price. Ive never seen/heard those before, but if there better than the 1c's id go for it at that price-if there in good condition.. I love my 1c's very much & can only compare them to the 2b's (stock) & thats a toss up-as their both great speakers. Good Luck
    Randy/Maine
  • Mystery
    edited March 2014
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    ...I love my 1c's very much & can only compare them to the 2b's (stock) & thats a toss up-as their both great speakers. Good Luck
    A lot of threads have 1C's as much better than 2B's while some mention they are pretty close.
    That's one of the reasons I wanted to skip 1C's.
    Not in a hurry but just thinking over it.
    As soon as speakers of that size come in, I made a promise myself to sell two pairs so I get some space in that wall.

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Studying the designs Polk used in the SDA lineup indicates that 2 mid woofers used in the CRS successfully with a 10 inch radiator can be stretched to be used with a 12 inch radiator in a large cabinet in the SDA 2 lineup to go lower. The same premise can be noticed as the SDA 1C uses 4 mids with the 12 inch radiator, but can be stretched to go lower in a larger cabinet and 15 inch radiator in the SRS 2. This makes you wonder if the mid woofer in the CRS and SDA1C are just loafing or are they being stretched to the end of their limits by pushing large cab/radiator capabilities in the SDA 2 and SRS 2 models.

If you take this further, since the 1.2 models have 8 mid woofers with a 15 inch radiator are they loafing or would they go even lower than their 27 hz if they had a larger cab with an 18 inch radiator?

Does anyone know where this ends?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Since the MW's don't produce much of any sound below about 30 hz, the PR is doing that job. Seems reasonable the 1.2 could effectively drive an 18" PR if the cabinet size was adjusted for a lower resonance and the PR tuned with the proper cone weight to take advantage of it. Interesting to note that with the PR removed from the cabinet (big open hole) the speakers still produce very low bass from the back pressure and the cabinet resonance. Of course one would not apply much power since they aren't loaded and could easily over extend.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I've owned both models, preferred the SRS 2's simply for the Bass output, and they just have an overall "bigger" sound. The midrange on the 1C's can be a little congested (no offense to 1C owners), I still have mine and sold the SRS 2's. The 1C's are easier to drive.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Actually the pin-blade model SRS 2s are 6 ohms also. I currently have a modded set of SRS 2s (pin-blade) and have owned modded SDA 1Cs in the past. I prefer the SRS 2s by a good margin due to the better bass and wider soundstage. Also the pin\blade SRS 2s are biamp/biwireable while the 1Cs are not.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Just got Back from Sunny's house, didn't realize he only lives two blocks away from me LOL!!!

Thanks for having me over, the Boston speakers you have sound amazing!! I love em..

I will have you over when I get my garage in order, and we will sit and listen to some tunes, maybe grill some burgers or something..
  • Schurkey
    edited March 2014
    Options
    So...Who has compared SDA 1Bs to SDA 1C?

Has anyone compared SRS 2 blade/blade to SRS 2 pin/blade?

Of course, similar levels of maintenance/modification would be required; along with an amp that won't knock it's knees when driving the earlier-generation speaker.
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I guess I would have thought the bass on the SRS 2 would not be as tight as other models. Maybe more, but not as tight.
  • Dawgfish
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ^^Actually I find not only is the bass deeper and greater with the SRS 2s, I find it to be better defined as well, especially when biamped. The only advantage the 1Cs have over the SRS 2s are being slightly easier to pick up! :-)
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I am sure they have more wife appeal LOL

Dawgfish wrote: »
    ^^Actually I find not only is the bass deeper and greater with the SRS 2s, I find it to be better defined as well, especially when biamped. The only advantage the 1Cs have over the SRS 2s are being slightly easier to pick up! :-)
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • chandler9a
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I too, would also like to know if anyone has compared the SRS blade/blade with the pin/blade model. I know the pin/blade model is more desirable due to options with amplification but is there a big difference in sound once they are both modded all up?
  • Dawgfish
    edited March 2014
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    I am sure they have more wife appeal LOL

Lol! Yeah your probably right on that one!
  • Dawgfish
    edited March 2014
    Options
    chpinler9a wrote: »
    I too, would also like to know if anyone has compared the SRS blade/blade with the pin/blade model. I know the pin/blade model is more desirable due to options with amplification but is there a big difference in sound once they are both modded all up?

If I remember correctly the blade/blade versions do not have dual binding posts, while I know for a fact the pin/blades do. Its fun to biamp those beasts so I would consider that an advantage for the pin/blade versions also.
  • Schurkey
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the blade/blade versions do not have dual binding posts, while I know for a fact the pin/blades do. Its fun to biamp those beasts so I would consider that an advantage for the pin/blade versions also.
    Yes, true. It is also true that it would be supremely easy to add two binding posts, re-route some wire, and have the same biamp capability in the SDA 1B and the SRS 2 blade/blade.

The only reason I haven't done this is that I have no need to biamp/biwire.
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I am Okay with not biamping so I guess I am good there. I would like to upgrade the binding posts and interconnect sockets so that should be good enough for me.

I think if I had to choose between the SRS 2's and the 1C's, I would take the SRS's at this point. Just a bigger overall sound that I like.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2014
    Options
    My choice would be the SRS 2s due to the deeper bass response, the fact that they are literally half an SRS, and their rarity. B-B 1986 SRS 2s are single amplification, and have a 4 ohm impedance unlike most SDAs.