Discount tire wants to replace TPMS, should I?

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited March 2014 in The Clubhouse
DT 'highly recommends' (of course) to replace the TPMS on my wife's car. It's a 2011 GMC Acadia. It's not that old of a car, so to me, I don't really see that there's a need to replace it. I thought the TPMS was in the wheel? It seems like the one they replace it with is in the valve stem?

It's $10/wheel, doing all 4, so it adds an extra $40. I'm not opposed to it, but I thought the stock ones were good for 7-10 years or so. If it was a 2006-ish model, I'd be more inclined to do it.

Thoughts?

While we're on the subject, who actually gets the road hazard? It's an extra $40/tire, so an additional $160 for that as well. I got it on my truck, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The tires cost around $230/ea.
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited March 2014
    The sensors that I'm familiar with are integrated into the valve stem. I guess the batteries will go dead eventually, but I'd agree with you that on an '11 it may be a bit premature. Maybe next time she needs tires.

Most of the tires we sell have road hazard insurance included at no charge. $40 each tire sounds a bit steep, IMO. They probably prorate the tire anyway, so I'd think you'd need to blow out a tire pretty soon to recoup your costs.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • exalted512
    edited March 2014
    Thanks. I'm inclined to deny both.
    -Cody
  • spencerthomass
    spencerthomass Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    I would not replace the sensor unless needed. The batteries in those sensors can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. So unless your yellow tpms light remains on, don't replace it.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    edited March 2014
    Tire dealers untold motto, Sell to the customer whether they need it or not.
  • exalted512
    edited March 2014
    Someone on another forum mentioned "they're replacing the rubber valve stem which connects to the sensor. I'd do it, the rubber degrades over time and could cause a leak. They don't need to replace a sensor itself unless it's malfunctioning."

So I guess it wasn't communicated very well to me. But $10 for a rubber valve stem is expensive. Maybe they're more expensive because of the TPMS?
    -Cody
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2014
    As far as the road hazard warranty goes, that seems very high. I have only had one flat tire in the last 20 yrs. I don't know about you, but that hardly seems like a worthwhile expenditure. Saving the cost of the warranty will cover most of the cost of one of your tires.
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    edited March 2014
    I would say this:

Call your dealer and ask what they recommend. What type of life is expected from your original stem....Keep in mind that different places in the US will experience different weather and therefor the life of the stem coincides with the weather... (super hot places like Arizona, salty crappy winters in Chicago, all affect rubber in different ways and degrade it at different rates).

Your car is a 2011....I wouldn't expect that your car would require it.....that's why you should call your dealer to see what the life expectancy is, perhaps its in the manual??? Unfortunately, the dealer may have the salesman hat on and tell you that it is recommended at every tire replacement....

Hope you find some helpful info...

JR
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2014
    I tell you what, Sears changed the tires on one of my Tundra's, and didn't replace the sensors. Didn't realize till next tire change. Didn't change the driving, didn't have any issues, tires wore the same.

To me it's a personal choice
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • exalted512
    edited March 2014
    So they're replacing a grommet and valve stem, not the whole sensor.
    http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/tpmsRebuildKit.jsp

$10 seems like a crap ton of money for a grommet and rubber seal. I'll tell them if they cut the price in half, I'll do it. Otherwise, I think the car is too new for rubber seals to go out so soon.

I'm still up in the air about the warranty though.
    -Cody
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2014
    Well don't do it then. Pay to have it done later when they will charger you to remove the wheel, dismount, remount, and balance the same old tire a second time or replace a $10 part now. $10 bucks now is a lot cheaper than doing it later.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    edited March 2014
    As a general practice, I replace the stems every time I buy tires, which is about every 3-4 years. So your not that far off. 10 bucks...seems worth the peace of mind to me. When it comes to auto maintenance, 10 bucks is a spit in the bucket.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2014
    Deny both I agree... And not that you asked but highly recommend Costco or BJ for tires. Road hazard is included along with tire rotations / re-balancing saving you $$ later. I don't think they would try to sell you TPMS also if you don't need them, and I doubt that.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited March 2014
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Deny both I agree... And not that you asked but highly recommend Costco or BJ for tires. Road hazard is included along with tire rotations / re-balancing saving you $$ later. I don't think they would try to sell you TPMS also if you don't need them, and I doubt that.

We dont have either around here. :(
  • exalted512
    edited March 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    As a general practice, I replace the stems every time I buy tires, which is about every 3-4 years. So your not that far off. 10 bucks...seems worth the peace of mind to me. When it comes to auto maintenance, 10 bucks is a spit in the bucket.

This isn't for valve stems though. Seems to be some sort of grommet, a sleeve, a valve core, and a cap
    http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/tpmsRebuildKit.jsp
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    edited March 2014
    Gotcha....still for 10 bucks....that's the price of a good cheeseburger.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2014
    exalted512 wrote: »
    We dont have either around here. :(

Maybe Sams? Never used them, but may check with that too.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited March 2014
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Maybe Sams? Never used them, but may check with that too.

We do have Sam's and I talked to them. I wasn't really impressed with them and their prices were higher. Too close to a Wal-Mart for me to feel comfortable having them work on my vehicle.
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2014
    Sorry

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited March 2014
    Ended up not getting the TPMS 'kit'. Maybe next time, but not on a 3 year old vehicle.

I had a friend who worked at Discount and he told me to ask them to see if they'd go 'half' on the road hazard. I had already got them to match NTB's price. Michelin was also holding a deal with NTB for $70 off if you buy 4 via a mail in rebate. So they also took that $70 off the price previously. I got them to throw one of them for free if I bought 3 of them. So total cost was actually around $117 instead of $160 for the road hazard. ~$29/tire is a little more doable for me than $40/tire. Especially since I very rarely, if ever, get 'extended warranties'.

So there's another 'life hack' for you. If you're going to DT, try to get them to go in half for the warranties.
    -Cody