Bottlehead DAC

xsb7244
xsb7244 Posts: 24
edited May 2014 in Going Digital
This must be the best kept secret. There should be a lot of talk about this DAC. Since 2009 John Swenson has been working on this DAC for Bottlehead on and off and finally it will become a reality very soon. Don't say I did not warn you! Check out the Bottlehead forum for more info on this great dac. And this will be a kit.
Post edited by xsb7244 on

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited March 2014
    Well their Headphone amp sure are nice, and seem to have a huge following. I almost bought a Bottlehead Crack + speedball. but didn't want to try building 1 myself as I'm not the best at soldering. I figured it was only time before they came up with a dac to go with their amps
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited March 2014
    I'd be interested in it. Had a lot of fun building the reduction and plan on landing a Crack once i can decide on a set of headphones. Most reviews and writeups point towards the HD600's as the paring is supposed to be quite nice?

I waded through a copy of pages on the DAC but didn't read much in terms of a completion date. Based on the history here, i'll check back in 2015....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • xsb7244
    edited March 2014
    Why is this DAC so good? You must read the Bottlehead Forum to find out. Click on Digital. Read the thread Taking orders. And all the rest of the past threads about the Bottlehead DAC to get an understanding of this dac. It goes all the way back to 2009. John Swenson has worked long and hard on this project. May he succeed.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2014
    :-( Bottlehead doesn't need shills.

Their schtuff can stand on its own merits.

11037513993_f8ece1e162_o.jpg
    paramours 112413 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • xsb7244
    edited May 2014
    From Bottlehead Forum, the kit will be $1,550 via Kickstarter.
  • update, this will not be a kit. A lot of R and D went into this.
    http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottlehead/messages/13/136299.html
    I have a feeling this DAC is way underpriced.
    http://bottlehead.com/product/bottlehead-dac/
  • I've asked for a clarification of the purpose behind his postings.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Stupid names for gear and im not paying 1600 bucks for a dac. Will need one soon tho..
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2014
    It's interesting to see how much FLAC... umm, I mean flack... this new BH product's engendering on teh webs (similar discussion playing out at AK lately).

I don't know whether this is due to one or more of these factors:

* Doc B and crew have strayed too far from their "core competencies" (DIY, vacuum tube, high-value).
    * They haven't adapted well to the contemporary crowd-source model (and/or they've actually resorted to using shills to pushing a new product).
    * The culture of the hobby has changed to be much more critical and mean-spirited than it was ca.. 15 years ago.

I know I won't be investing in a $1500 DAC, but many folks are perfectly willing to do so.

I note two critiques that strike me as amusing.

First is related to the cosmetics -- to me, it looks a lot like a lot of other current (albeit cheaper) products (e.g., the plethora of Chinese-made T-amps).
    The other relates to Bottlehead's product names... I don't see tirades on teh webs directed at that fine line of Schitt products, though (and from my perspective, Schitt is an embarrassingly sophomoric name).

So... all in all... not sure how I feel about this DAC and what it might portend for the Bottlehead crew.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Eh....lets let it stand or fall on it's own merits. That is...how it sounds, which is how most products are judged anyway. Personally, I don't care who built it or from what, the end result is always going to be about the sound. Some of the most respected audio companies have put out stinkers in their time too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    I will judge it on its own merits, after I comment that the damn thing is ugly.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • For now I cannot afford to buy any stuff so I will do the next best thing read and research products that could be good.
    I read a lot about Mr clean magic eraser. Most guys think this is a great product.
    I read a lot about Mint best tractor. Most guys think this is the best.

I have been reading a lot about the Shigaclone CD transport.
    I have been reading a lot about this Bottlehead dac on the web since MAY 2009.
    I like this dac because it was designed by John Swenson. If you don't know who John Swenson is then this dac is not for you. I may be wrong about this dac and it may be over rated but time will tell if this dac is any good. We will see when the reviews come out.
  • DSkip,

What dac do you like the best? I support your right to express yourself on all things audio.
  • tonyb
    I won't answer for DSkip, but I will bet that whatever dac he likes, or tells you he likes, will be based on what he's actually heard himself, not whats hyped up on the internet.

Just about every audio product is hyped up as the next best thing to sliced bread. The trick is getting your ears on as much as possible to draw your own conclusions. Your drawing conclusions without hearing this dac. So who's opinion will carry more weight ? Those who have heard it....or those who have not ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...Just about every audio product is hyped up as the next best thing to sliced bread. The trick is getting your ears on as much as possible to draw your own conclusions. Your drawing conclusions without hearing this dac. So who's opinion will carry more weight ? Those who have heard it....or those who have not ?

That's why some of us tend towards the timeless in hifi... many of those products are still available today (and some of those have been in more or less continuous production since before World War II).

Here's a good example.
    http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/cartridges/spu-series/spu-95th-anniversary

SPU_95th_310x230px.png

No, the cartridge hasn't been around for 95 years (they were using cactus thorns and osmium needles 95 years ago)... but Ortofon has.

... and the SPU dates back around 50 or 60 years... and was, and is, an extremely fine sounding phono cartridge (albeit one requiring a fairly heavy arm).

Indeed, as tonyb implies, nothing beats listening to as many things as possible; ideally for a fair amount of time, with different program material and sources, and in different acoustic environments. It gets easier and easier to make good qualitative choices for oneself (since, at the end of the day, preferences in sound tend to be extremely subjective and personal).

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2014
    Interesting. I guess expressing agreement with a sentiment isn't a great idea, then.
  • tonyb
    That wasn't aimed at you pal, the OP.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    ahh, I am getting thin-skinned in my old age, ain't I?

Yes, the Gestalt of the fanboy posts for this DAC are... a tad odd.

Now, back under my bridge I scurry...
    maybe I just need more coffee.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Bottlehead and HD-6xx headphones pair very well.
    A quick look at the OP's posts does pose an odd pattern.
    Not quite as over the top as the standard product Shill.
    But at best fanboy +++
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson