Need suggestions for cd/sacd player

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 2,962
edited February 2014 in Going Digital
Getting ready to plop my Parasound amp into the game room for the SDA 2B's to enjoy. Currently they are hooked up to an AVR in a different room and it's time to do them justice. I had thought I still had an old Pioneer SACD player but I think I may have given it to my daughter and I'm not going to ask for it back. For now, I plan to run without a preamp(so variable output is needed), need a remote and only have a budget of about $250 or so. Looking for suggestions on what used player you can give me. Audio is the only important factor as I don't see me ever playing video in the game room. I see I missed out on what appears to me to be a good deal/unit in the FS recently.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
Post edited by muncybob on

Comments

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited February 2014
    If you really want SACD capability, your best bet at this point is probably Oppo; that will (obviously) cover you on the video side as well.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • muncybob
    edited February 2014
    Find me an Oppo for under $250 and I'm a buyer. I wish my BDP93 had the dedicated 2 channel outputs.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • muncybob
    edited February 2014
    I'll take a look at these when I get home, blocked here at work...sheez!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2014
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited February 2014
    Take your time and save more money and get the Oppo.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • muncybob
    edited February 2014
    So now I have to ask, since the 83 can be had for around $250 are there audio only units that could equal(or exceed) the 83's audio for possibly same/less money? I agree the Oppo units are a good bang for the buck(esp bluray).
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited February 2014
    I have an Oppo 980 which does fine for my purposes. I output the DSD over HDMI though. Got it for $50 on ebay. A friend uses the analogue outs on his and it does well also. Not the best player out there but for the money I don't think you can beat it.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2014
    Muncy, do you have a DAC
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cconklin1
    cconklin1 Posts: 10
    edited February 2014
    oppo. pick one. i personally love the oppo 95..
  • roserose
    roserose Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for your sharing!
  • muncybob
    edited February 2014
    No I don't, but if a DAC and player combo was in my price range I would consider it. My Oppo sounds great playing 5.1(both movies and sacd) but for 2 channel I use the digital to avr route...sounds much better which has me concerned about 2 channel from Oppo direct to a 2 channel amp.
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited February 2014
    For less than $200, you can get a Sony Blu Ray player that will play SACD's. Not an OPPO but it will still work fine. I have needed a backup for my OPPO a few times and it came in handy.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited February 2014
    The mistake I made with the Oppo 83 is that I have a nice dac and thought I could just use the cheapest Oppo with a nice dac. Unfortunately, SACD can't be sent digital out to a dac (I don't believe from any SACD player, but I may be wrong there).

The 83 still sounds nice for SACD and I do send regular cd's out to a dac, but if I had known SACD had to use the internal dac's I would probably have waited and got a better SACD player.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2014
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, SACD can't be sent digital out to a dac (I don't believe from any SACD player, but I may be wrong there).

It's complicated but not impossible. You are working with DSD and gotta snag clock, left and right channel data between the transport and DAC chip along with a ground. Then you have to send it to DAC chip. Long wire runs of 1 meter will affect clock so best to use LVDS or low voltage differential signal modules to send and receive.

Some DAC chips share DSD inputs with I2S (which is CD) and you may end up with a L and R channel swap while playing DSD. If you are just after DSD you can wire it for proper channel but if you want to export I2S (CD) as well you can't. I implemented a digital switch that flips the R and L DSD channel when exporting DSD to my DAC. No worries about SQ if done properly exporting I2S or DSD from a player.

Pics of the signal snag in a Denon 3910.

wires.jpg

The right module is a Twisted Pear OTTO II that flips the DSD channels. The left module is a Twisted Pear LVDS Teleporter set to transmit. One in the DAC is set to receive.

otto.jpg

A manual switch on back of the Denon controls the OTTO II for flipping channels when set to DSD. The DSD channel flip can be done in software using foobar or JRiver, but we are not using a 'putie to send signal from the Denon 3910 player. Some USB to DSD modules also contain firmware that flips DSD channels.

3910_3pcmdsd.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • muncybob
    OK, finally got the 2 channel gear set up...and I found the old Pioneer sacd player too. No satisfied with the sound from it I brought my Oppo 93 into the mix...big improvement as I expected. Can anybody offer comparisons between the Oppo 83 and 93 for sound quality? Looking for a unit that will dig deep for bass and the 93 seems to do that but I don't have approval for that budget, although that may change.

The Mrs is totally deaf in one ear and after hooking up the 93 she said it's as close as she has come to really enjoying music since her accident. Maybe a few more listening sessions are in order but at $200 the 83 is tempting if it's audio is comparable to the 93.