Opinions: REW vs. Omnimic vs. XTZ Room Analyzer

Thorton
Thorton Posts: 1,324
I've started investigating room/speaker analyzers and would like input on the 3 mentioned in the title. I could spend months researching the 3 but usually find it easier following the expert advice from our forum members. Time is money. Basically, I'm looking for assistance dialing in speaker and subwoofer placement. Then, I'll explore acoustic treatments to which this tool should offer assistance. From the little I've explored:

Cost: (approx. 200 - 360) with REW (including equipment needed)< Omnimic < XTZ
Ease of use: Omnimic > XTZ > REW
Usefulness: REW > Omnimic = XTZ (this is debatable)

I don't mind spending a hundred or so more if it's simple to set-up, use and provide the information I need. Since this will be used sparingly when changing out equipment or adding treatments, I don't want to spend two full days trying to set it up and figure out the results every time I use it.

Your opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Mike
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
Post edited by Thorton on

Comments

• aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2014
    The Minidsp Umik-1 mic is made to go with REW and it's only 100 bucks. It is plug and play with REW and you won't have to calibrate it. REW works great and is free and for most intents and purposes, you'll just be looking at the SPL graph and waterfalls which it does just fine.

You can buy the mic from minidsp but the calibration file only goes to 20hz and if you want a cal file to be accurate to 5hz you can buy it from cross spectrum.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Thorton
    edited January 2014
    Thanks aboroth! Searching through the REW threads on home theater shack for the latest information is like finding a way out of a maze. After your post, I did some more searching on HTS and AVS and found all the updated information I need. Thanks again for providing me with an easy and relatively inexpensive solution.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Phasewolf
    Phasewolf Posts: 514
    edited January 2014
    What city are you in? I have a setup including the mic all ready to go for REW and if need be could swing by and help you out.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1
  • aboroth00
    edited January 2014
    Let me know if you need further help via PM. I also have the mic and setup if you're local to Socal.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Thorton
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the assistance guys. That's why I enjoy this forum. Great people. Phasewolf, I'm in White Lake (close to Alpine Valley Ski Resort) approx. 40 minutes from you. I've found a very good step-by-step guide for beginners using the usb calibrated mic's on AVS and continue to read the new threads. I'm probably going to order the mic and try it out for myself first. I know I'll be using REW on numerous occasions for speaker placement, room treatments, etc. so I think it's beneficial for me to purchase my own. I already picked up one of the laptops sold on the forum for this purpose and downloaded the REW software. I'm also very intrigued about the science and software utilized. If this becomes too challenging or too long of a learning curve, I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks again.
  • Phasewolf
    Phasewolf Posts: 514
    edited January 2014
    Not a issue it took me a wile to learn the program but when I got going it was nice to see the issues and what the room is doing.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2014
    You will be happy you went with REW, you will truely understand your room and appreciate the improvements YOU made.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2014
    Thinking about jumping into software myself.....well, I've been thinking about it for years. Back during the SQ car audio days...sometimes it was tough setting a car up not being able to see graphs of the response.

Anyway, more recently I was looking hard at the MiniDSP PWR-ICE125 amplifier http://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/pwr-ice125 for my sub project. However, I probably will get a seperate amp and miniDSP unit. Then, once I get the REW setup going have a tool to play around with in getting the sub right and maybe a Linkwitz Transform, checking MCACC results, and playing around with room treatments.

Should be fun....and hands one. IMO, what makes this a true hobby is being able to build something and mold and manipulate it into something better.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • aboroth00
    edited January 2014
    WLDock wrote: »
    Thinking about jumping into software myself.....well, I've been thinking about it for years. Back during the SQ car audio days...sometimes it was tough setting a car up not being able to see graphs of the response.

Anyway, more recently I was looking hard at the MiniDSP PWR-ICE125 amplifier http://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/pwr-ice125 for my sub project. However, I probably will get a seperate amp and miniDSP unit. Then, once I get the REW setup going have a tool to play around with in getting the sub right and maybe a Linkwitz Transform, checking MCACC results, and playing around with room treatments.

Should be fun....and hands one. IMO, what makes this a true hobby is being able to build something and mold and manipulate it into something better.

I think the barrier to being able to measure your room is so low now, it's foolish to invest in $$$ equipment and not look at what the room is doing. A couple inches to the left or right may make the difference in placement to getting better bass response for a speaker. I have yet to build my own sub but I've built some of my own room treatments and being able to see in real time without having to a/b everything is very much worth it. Especially when a mic is 100$ and the software is free and easy to use. Those guys did a great job on REW so that any body with a laptop or desktop can easily have access to very powerful software.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert