Parasound Amplifier Hum? (amplifier hum in general? what is it, how do we combat it?)

msg
msg Posts: 9,306
edited January 2014 in Electronics
Like the subject line says, I'm curious about amplifier hum.
What is it?
How do I hear it?
When do I hear it?
How do we combat it?

I'm reading a little outside the site, but also wanted your input as well. Someone mentioned to me to look out for hum on Parasound amplifiers. I don't know what the deal is on this, whether it's even anything I'd notice, etc., but just thought it a good topic for input and discussion.
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2014
    This is a common problem with big amps. You've probably got a ground loop issue somewhere. The easy and cheap way to fix it is to get a three prong to two prong plug. plug the amp into the plug and put the plug into the wall. Nine times out of ten this will take care of it.

I'm sure the guys will be along any minute to tell you the long drawn out expensive way to deal with it as well.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I'm sure the guys will be along any minute to tell you the long drawn out expensive way to deal with it as well.
    hahaha

well, I don't have the problem yet (no amp), but just curious about it, and whether it means there's something wrong with the unit, whether it means to pass on the unit, etc.
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited January 2014
    More common with older amps, often a sign of failing power supply caps. My Parasound HCA-2200ii had pretty good hum. I replaced all the mid-sized caps in the power supply and it went away. My Halo A21 never had any sort of hum, not even when I used with with my HT receiver (which was fed from the satellite box). Ground loop hum is also common, especially when you have a cable/satellite feed connected electrically.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2014
    I bought a Parasound 1500A brand new and when I plugged it in had a hum so I don't really think it has anything to do with the age of the amp. I came on here frantic asking for help cause I didn't know what was wrong. After tons of advice I tried the cheater plug...problem solved.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2014
    Some Parasound amps have a "gound lift" switch---though the HCA-1500a does not. As Cathy stated, get a cheater plug or prepare for a ground loop troubleshooting session. (How did we ever survive before 3-prong outlets?)

This isn't a Parasound exclusive "problem."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2014
    Better yet, don't worry about something that hasn't even happened. You'll drive yourself nuts with the various things in audio that could go wrong.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    It came up in a discussion with a potential seller, so I was wondering what it was about and whether it indicated a problem with the unit, or how much was normal, if any, etc.
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2014
    msg--ground loop hum can be caused by a number of factors; it's usually caused by cable/satellite boxes with a different ground potential--IF somehow interfaced with your sound system. Sometimes the intermixing of 2 prong plug components (chassis grnd) with 3 prong plug components can manifest a hum as well.

The most effective way to troubleshoot is by connecting 1 component at a time, and listen for which component introduces the hum. Start with amp and speakers only; turn the amp on----if you have no hum, then it's not the amp. Connect the next component, and so on.....Once you find the "offending" component, then you have to figure out why it's creating the hum. Always trade out interconnect cables first---as a broken shield wire can cause hum.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited January 2014
    new tag name for MSG.....AKA The Worrier! :)
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited January 2014
    msg wrote: »
    Like the subject line says, I'm curious about amplifier hum.
    What is it?
    How do I hear it?
    When do I hear it?
    How do we combat it?

I'm reading a little outside the site, but also wanted your input as well. Someone mentioned to me to look out for hum on Parasound amplifiers. I don't know what the deal is on this, whether it's even anything I'd notice, etc., but just thought it a good topic for input and discussion.
    Well, there is hum that you hear through the speakers, the causes of which have been mentioned, then there is mechanical hum or buzzing that comes directly from the amplifier. The latter is most often caused by either a loose power transformer mounting bolt, or DC offset on the AC mains. Electrical devices with brightness, temperature and speed controls that draw power from the mains on only 1/2 of the AC cycle are often the culprits. All it takes is a couple hundred millivolts of DC to cause a toroidal transformer to saturate and hum or buzz audibly.
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited January 2014
    Glen B wrote: »
    ...then there is mechanical hum or buzzing that comes directly from the amplifier.

This is probably what the seller was talking about, since it is common on some Parasound models.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    steveinaz wrote: »
    msg--ground loop hum can be caused by a number of factors; it's usually caused by cable/satellite boxes with a different ground potential--IF somehow interfaced with your sound system. Sometimes the intermixing of 2 prong plug components (chassis grnd) with 3 prong plug components can manifest a hum as well.

The most effective way to troubleshoot is by connecting 1 component at a time, and listen for which component introduces the hum. Start with amp and speakers only; turn the amp on----if you have no hum, then it's not the amp. Connect the next component, and so on.....Once you find the "offending" component, then you have to figure out why it's creating the hum. Always trade out interconnect cables first---as a broken shield wire can cause hum.
    thanks! that's a good troubleshooting process
    new tag name for MSG.....AKA The Worrier! :)
    hahaha! ah c'mom! am I being neurotic? crap. I'm trying to be informed :)
    Glen B wrote: »
    Well, there is hum that you hear through the speakers, the causes of which have been mentioned, then there is mechanical hum or buzzing that comes directly from the amplifier. The latter is most often caused by either a loose power transformer mounting bolt, or DC offset on the AC mains. Electrical devices with brightness, temperature and speed controls that draw power from the mains on only 1/2 of the AC cycle are often the culprits. All it takes is a couple hundred millivolts of DC to cause a toroidal transformer to saturate and hum or buzz audibly.
    ahhh, good info. he was in fact talking about hum at the speaker though.
    This is probably what the seller was talking about, since it is common on some Parasound models.
    yeah, at the speaker.
    I disabled signatures.
  • lbcgav
    lbcgav Posts: 23
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to comment on this topic. I recently purchased a Parasound HCA1200 II and fully recapped it. After a couple months, I noticed a buzzing noise coming from the speakers on both channels. I tried the ground lift on the back and that didn't improve things. I then started unplugging components from the power strip they were plugged into. I have a separate power strip for the power amplifier with nothing else plugged into it. After unplugging my OPPO DVD player, the hum disappeared. I then plugged the OPPO into the same power strip that he Parasound power amp is plugged into and the hum did not reappear. I can't explain why that got rid of the buzz, but it did. Just thought I'd share my experience.
  • msg
    Good contribution.

I think I originally started this thread when I was amp shopping and someone I was talking to said that Parasound amps hum. A touch of neuroses in the beginning, for sure, overwhelmed with gear decisions, and not wanting to mess up. I did end up with a Parasound amp, and I did end up with ground loop hum at the speakers later that year.

Do you have cable tv, by chance? if so, I'd be curious to know whether disconnecting the coax from the wall as a test also stops the buzz in your case.

It turned out to be the coax in my case, though I can't recall how I had everything set up before. Mine was a classic case of a secondary ground for the cable service, since it comes in at the other end of the house as my power does. I ended up rearranging the living space toward then end of the year that this post was made, and made a few different system changes at the same time, and the buzz/hum went away. Didn't investigate enough afterward to figure out the differences, but I suspect it was running the coax through a Panamax power center, though can't recall specifically whether it was already connected that way before. All I knew is that I pretty much just forgot about it, and then realized one day later on that it wasn't buzzing/humming at the speakers anymore.

side note: I've never really understood why people on forums (not so much around here) pounce on others for posting on or "resurrecting" an old thread. If it's relevant to the topic, who cares when the info's contributed. imho, that's the whole point of knowledgebasing.

I see people sometimes say, "this thread is xx years old" and then I see people say, "try using the search function before starting a new thread". it's probably the same whiney fools making both comments.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I had a horrible hum from a studio subwoofer (Pro Audio) and got rid of it with this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ebtech-hum-x-hum-exterminator

I've downsized the recording portion of my space, and replaced much of the gear with audio, including a Rhythmik sub, which I have plugged into the ebtech unit.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    This thread is 27 years old, try using the search function before starting a new thread and making me look at it and ruining my life you heartless bassturd!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    your wrong by 24.5 years :p but 27 years ago I was out at the lake wishing I had brought more beer:open_mouth:

I did use a hum-x to remove a hum from a headphone amp.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I had a hum issue with a Parasound Pre and Main amp when I had them plugged into different power outlet circuits when I was working on them in my shop. Once plugged into the same circuit, the hum was gone.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601