Does anyone use equalizers anymore?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,426
edited May 2014 in Electronics
I was just wondering whether anyone uses equalizers anymore. I don't really see anyone making mention. I always enjoyed the accessibility of hardware equalizer when I was growing up, but the ones I see now seem to be designed more for use with tape decks.

would someone choose to use an EQ in a 2ch setup as opposed to simply just the standard tone controls off of a preamp? seems like this would be beneficial and I'm wondering why it doesn't seem more popular. or is it just because a lot of 2ch guys seem to be purists?
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• tygr1955
    tygr1955 Posts: 45
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have one in my 2 channel system. Mostly for the light show, I keep the tone controls of it bypassed. BUT, every once in a while I play something that needs a little additional bass and/or treble boost and it works great for that too. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I don't even have tone controls in my 2 channel system. It the ht/music system I have the tone controls but keep them flat. Years ago I used a eq....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    Options
    tygr1955 wrote: »
    I have one in my 2 channel system. Mostly for the light show, I keep the tone controls of it bypassed. BUT, every once in a while I play something that needs a little additional bass and/or treble boost and it works great for that too. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.
    yeah, this is what I'm thinking.
    vmaxer wrote: »
    I don't even have tone controls in my 2 channel system. It the ht/music system I have the tone controls but keep them flat. Years ago I used a eq....
    gaaaaah! how do you do it, man? hehe :)
    do you just get used to it, or are we talking records and a pristine setup?
    I disabled signatures.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited January 2014
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

gaaaaah! how do you do it, man? hehe :)
    do you just get used to it, or are we talking records and a pristine setup?

I have a very mid-fi rig, and a pre with no tone controls. I moved to that because of reading here as I was curious. I often used tone controls, and in my college rig had some 12 band EQ... even when I was using computer speakers before moving to a DAC/2 channel system I used the software EQ. And it never sounded right.... I spent more time fiddling.
    I have well updated RTA11Ts, decent pre/amp.... and I don't miss the tone controls one bit for 2 channel. The sub I run is pretty crappy, but top to bottom the signal sounds very good. Now I notice more about recordings than my rig. Some recordings just suck, but in my mind, tone controls aren't gonna fix that.
    Then there is speaker placement, room treatments... your room plays a HUGE part in tonality.... that is going to be my next step.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    They add too much noise to the signal....same with those old tone control switches. A good 2 channel system, heck even a low -fi system doesn't need them anymore. Signals are cleaner today, gear is better at reducing jitter, why add the noise back in ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2014
    Options
    If you use an AVR and have run the autocalibration - aren't you using an 'equalizer'?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    In a sense, yes but that's done with software not noisy switches.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    In a sense, yes but that's done with software not noisy switches.

And in the digital domain, then requiring another D/A step.

All about tradeoffs.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I don't - but, as already indicated - some incredibly complex and sophisticated equalization technologies in the digital domain have become widespread. Better, worse, or just different? All depends on one's perspective.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited January 2014
    Options
    No tone controls, no EQ here..

Agree with Tony on this one..

But if it works for you or anyone else that's all that matters..
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I use one in my 2ch setup to help control sound reflection in the room its sitting in (wood floors, vaulted ceiling). In the natural/bypass mode its like listening in a cave echos everywhere. I have had this Eq for 20 plus years and had it in the garage collecting dust until I put together my 2ch 2 years ago.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    Options
    hmmmt. lots of interesting feedback, and good info about the noise.

so do we basically get midrange control out of bass and treble combinations? I don't see midlevel control anywhere anymore.
    I disabled signatures.
  • recoveryone
    edited January 2014
    Options
    An Eq is suppose to be used to help control the sound on the output side of a system, just as an dbx suppressor works on the input side. I read a few post on here how people are asking how to control the boomy sound of SDA's, but since most people don't use separate EQ's much anymore you are stuck with the source material or built in EQ software limits that come with your setup. An Eq can help a speaker reach its full potential or to your ears potential on how you want or need your system to sound. Tony's point on noise is interesting as I have never experience such an issue with using an EQ with my 12ch mixing rig or in any of the setups I had one in over the years.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I myself do not use one. I can adjust all my 2 channel set ups to sound very pleasant without need for a equalizer. Seems to get what i need.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    edited January 2014
    Options
    An Eq is suppose to be used to help control the sound on the output side of a system, just as an dbx suppressor works on the input side. I read a few post on here how people are asking how to control the boomy sound of SDA's, but since most people don't use separate EQ's much anymore you are stuck with the source material or built in EQ software limits that come with your setup. An Eq can help a speaker reach its full potential or to your ears potential on how you want or need your system to sound. Tony's point on noise is interesting as I have never experience such an issue with using an EQ with my 12ch mixing rig or in any of the setups I had one in over the years.
    ..no boomy on my SDA's they are perfect & with no need for a subwoofer :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I might try it down the road. they seem relatively affordable these days it seems. it'll take me back to my roots, even if I just end up with it just sitting there with its lights on, like tygr

anyone using a tape deck?!?
    I've still got some old mix tapes, bootlegs, and local bands stuff, just stashed away since I don't have a tape deck.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I read a few post on here how people are asking how to control the boomy sound of SDA's,

Got a link to those posts?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I use a parametric eq in my rig. I've always had equalizers and always will. I don't hear any added noise to the signal. I adjust it to suit my taste in sound. I'm not a purist and don't care about the shortest path from the source to the speaker. I'm all about modifying things to suit my taste. For example, monetary value aside....I would modify the hell out of a muscle car rather than keep it a boring "match number" car. So it basically all boils down to what YOU like.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I don't hear any added noise to the signal.

Since you've always had equalizers how would you know?

Folks don't understand the noise floor is not something one hears until that floor is lowered. It's one of those ah-ha things.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited January 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Since you've always had equalizers how would you know?

Folks don't understand the noise floor is not something one hears until that floor is lowered. It's one of those ah-ha things.
    for my own edification, is a lower noise floor also what helps create a blacker background?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2014
    Options
    People use EQ's to eq their subs all the time to bring it within linear response in the bass region. Who wouldn't want to get rid of the peaks and nulls that rob you have bass definition?!
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    edited January 2014
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    hmmmt. lots of interesting feedback, and good info about the noise.

so do we basically get midrange control out of bass and treble combinations? I don't see midlevel control anywhere anymore.

F1 is correct. One never will know that any noise is present until it is gone. It really is an "ah ha" moment. The lower the noise you currently don't hear, the more music you actually do. As far as tone controls and EQ's, If a system is well chosen, properly assembled, a proper format and playback source are utilized and everything has synergy, then zero tone controls are necessary. Let alone an EQ.

One more thing. An EQ will train your ear on what it wants you to hear. A well built system will let you know what you should.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited January 2014
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    for my own edification, is a lower noise floor also what helps create a blacker background?

Exactly.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2014
    Options
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    People use EQ's to eq their subs all the time to bring it within linear response in the bass region. Who wouldn't want to get rid of the peaks and nulls that rob you have bass definition?!

Are you referring to an HT rig?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2014
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    One never will know that any noise is present until it is gone. It really is an "ah ha" moment. The lower the noise you currently don't hear, the more music you actually do. As far as tone controls and EQ's, If a system is well chosen, properly assembled, a proper format and playback source are utilized and everything has synergy, then zero tone controls are necessary. Let alone an EQ.

One more thing. An EQ will train your ear on what it wants you to hear. A well built system will let you know what you should.

Tom

Nail, head, hammer!

President of Club Polk

• aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Are you referring to an HT rig?

No, I am not :). Some subs have an EQ on the low end to boost low end response as well.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have two vintage EQs, a Sansui and a Pioneer. Both have been sitting on top of each other on the dining room floor for two or three years. I may eventually put the Pioneer into a rack with some other vintage Pioneer equipment from the late '70s early '80s because it "looks nice". A very pretty silver face with a couple of dozen sliders on it, but I doubt it will be used in any "active" sense. As said above, they are "noisy" little suckers!

Nonetheless some of these older units are real lookers and also bring a pretty penny on ebay for some reason?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • recoveryone
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Got a link to those posts?

My mistake Monitor 12's
  • recoveryone
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I guess the real question that should be asked from the type of responses I am reading is do most people know what a EQ is used for. In a proper prepared room there would be no need for a EQ, but we all know for most of us that is not the situation and the need to control brightness, boomy sound waves or bring out vocals or lost bass is the job of the EQ such its name sake. You can have a perfect source, but in a bad room it will suffer from the short comings of the environment being played in.
  • msg
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I guess the real question that should be asked from the type of responses I am reading is do most people know what a EQ is used for. In a proper prepared room there would be no need for a EQ, but we all know for most of us that is not the situation and the need to control brightness, boomy sound waves or bring out vocals or lost bass is the job of the EQ such its name sake. You can have a perfect source, but in a bad room it will suffer from the short comings of the environment being played in.
    I'm picking up on two perspectives:

1. useful tool
    2. band-aid for another problem, and possibly creating a problem

I've always used it in the way you describe - to basically fix something that's lacking or overpowering for whatever reason. I didn't know they introduced noise though. Is that just because it's another component inline or something else?

now that I'm thinking about this, where would it go in a source/receiver/amp configuration?
    between the source and receiver, or between the receiver and amp?
    I disabled signatures.