Onkyo PR-SC885

Phish56466
Phish56466 Posts: 54
edited January 2014 in Electronics
I've always wanted to go pre/pro. I realize this will require more amplifiers. Has ANYONE here used the Onkyo PR-SC885? Does it have the same issues as the Onkyo AVR's with the video board(mine does WEIRDNESS after it's been powered up for a while, several people have said it's due to heating issues-when upconverting any video signal, after a while it will split on the monitor). More importantly, how does it sound in comparison to using the AVR's in a similar manner?

I'm thinking the video issue should be resolved due to the fact there isn't as much heat from power amps being inside it. ALSO thinking the audio is probably cleaner in part to the same deal(no power amplifiers leaching the power supply).
Monitor 12's-RDO's and XO's done!
Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
Adcom GFA-555 for power(being reborn, as I can afford it)
Onkyo DX-C730 changer
Onkyo CP-1057F table W/Grado cartridge
CS300 center
M4's for rears
LG 47" LCD
ROKU streaming gizmo
Post edited by Phish56466 on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2014
    I have had two Onkyo receivers, the first one had the HDMI board fail. The second one I put a small usb powered variable speed fan on top of it and have never had a problem with it. The PR-SC5508 that I have in my HT has never had an issue in the over two years I have owned it. I think all of the HDMI board issues are heat related when the amps are all crammed into the same AVR chassis. I think you would be fine with the pre you are looking at.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited January 2014
    I have the 885. It's been the processor in my rig for I'd guess 4+ years now. I'm the second owner & it's never given me any trouble. Sounds better than the Outlaw 990 it replaced.
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 806
    edited January 2014
    I've owned the 885, 886 and PR-SC5507. No issues for me with any of them, but I upgraded after a couple years with each, so my length of ownership may have saved me. There is an enormous amount of info over on AVSForum.com on all of these units, including info on how to do a DIY fix if you have an HDMI board failure. I can share that the 885 runs hot.....hot enough to make you remove your hand if you put it on top. I ran mine in an enclosed, forced air ventilated, temp controlled rack, so that may have helped as well. Many users who have used ventilation fans have reported good luck....so it may be worthwhile for you if you can do it.

I can tell you my 886 sounded better than the 885 and the SQ of the 886 and 5507 are about equal. At the time it was new, it was nearly impossible to match its value for the price. At used prices, its a screaming deal....seems like I saw one for sale for around $300 somewhere recently.

Have fun.....buy a good amp!!
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L&R, LSiM706c center, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 703 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Sherbourne 7/2100 200 x 7 Amp, Emotiva BasX A-500 for Atmos
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS520 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • Phish56466
    edited January 2014
    SERIOUSLY? It ran that hot? I'd think it'd get warm, but this sounds like component frying heat. NOW I'm wondering if it's a design flaw. Did you ever run it out of the cabinet and monitor it? Did it STILL get that hot? As for power, I'm currently using a GFA-555 Adcom. I've been fairly impressed so far, and as such I'm basing the 5 channel amp to probably be an Adcom also.
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo DX-C730 changer
    CS300 center
    M4's for rears
    LG 47" LCD
    ROKU streaming gizmo
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited January 2014
    It does run pretty warm. Not as hot as some amps I have/had, but I wouldn't put it in an enclosed cabinet without some form of forced air ventilation. That said, mine sits on the top shelf of my equipment rack, nothing stacked on it, and has been fine without any further cooling.

-Dave
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited January 2014
    The problem is that the HDMI processor generates a LOT of heat. It is not the amps that cause the problem. The excessive heat dries out the caps on the HDMI board causing failure. While placing a fan helps, it only delays the inevitable. My Onkyo had a fan since day one and it failed after three years...
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2014
    jon s wrote: »
    The problem is that the HDMI processor generates a LOT of heat. It is not the amps that cause the problem. The excessive heat dries out the caps on the HDMI board causing failure. While placing a fan helps, it only delays the inevitable. My Onkyo had a fan since day one and it failed after three years...

This is pretty much the case. Don't be lulled into complacency because you "think" not having "amps" will save you from an Onkyo HDMI failure.

That said, my TX-SR 805, five years and still plugging away NO fan, but a healthy amount of space (a foot and half of free space above it). Does it get HOT! Yeah you can cook EGGs over that HDMI board. I'm not sure though, if my caps, etc. in that 805 were replaced and SAFE because I bought it "refurbed" by Onkyo on their site. So I might have lucked out on that? Fingers crossed! But five years is a LONG time! Long enough, I'd say, for NOT one problem. Pound for pound, at almost 51lbs. Those 805s were really SOMETHING. Spectacular "value" since they pretty much shared the same amps as models costing twice as much. (Could put out an HONEST 130 watts x 5 in the surround mode, no loss of power-@ 8 ohms, of course) And! You could often get them for almost half price which is 1/4 the price of the higher model siblings? Those were the days!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Phish56466
    edited January 2014
    I have NO doubt that board gets warm. BUT getting the internal amps AWAY from it can do nothing BUT help! I have done some reading in other spots about the caps drying out. IF I could just find a service manual, I'd re-cap it myself(Onkyo is kind of picky about that info). On the note of the PR-SC885, IF I can convince the wife to let me get it-do you guys suggest putting some heat sinks on stuff?
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo DX-C730 changer
    CS300 center
    M4's for rears
    LG 47" LCD
    ROKU streaming gizmo
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2014
    I did add a couple of heat sinks that I put on a couple of the processors on the HDMI board that I picked up at RatShack along with some heat sink compound
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Phish56466
    edited January 2014
    Did it seem to help at all?
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo DX-C730 changer
    CS300 center
    M4's for rears
    LG 47" LCD
    ROKU streaming gizmo
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    edited January 2014
    I have an Onkyo PR-SC885 sitting in the closet for the last 16+ months, tried to sell it here but no takers at the time....send me a pm if you are interested....will let it go cheap....

I stopped using it because I went all Sunfire...TGP-401 pre and Sunfire Sig amp.

Juan
  • Hello people i own an onkyo prsc5508 but on turning it on after 15mints it heats a lot why so?
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited December 2020
    @ansh2122
    Welcome to the forum.
    I had the PR-SC5508 and now I have the PR-SC5509. The heat is normal. What you would need to worry about is the HDMI board issue and the audio chip issue that they had with them. Onkyo had a free fix program for years, but it lapsed. I had my HDMI board go south on my 5508 and then Onkyo decided to replace it with a 5509 even though it was out of warranty!!(there was a six month backlog on the parts at the time) A couple of years later the audio chip issue reared its ugly head with the 5509 and I had it fixed for free under the program. No problems since then.
    From what I was told by the guy at the repair shop, Onkyo had been using a sub contractor who had cut corners. Which resulted in a very large amount of their receivers and preamps going down with those two issues.
    Just make sure the thing is well ventilated.
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    Hook a USB fan to it. I had one for years with no issue.
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables