RTi10 Crossovers

Jefe
Jefe Posts: 5
edited January 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi Everyone! New guy here with what may be a beaten to death question.

I have had a pair of RTi10's in my HT for quite some time now and have started to fall out of love with them. They are good for TV and movies but do not handle music very well. It's the same old complaints...bright highs and lacking good mid-range. I use a powered sub so bass in not much of an issue.

I have searched for fixes and found the "adding 1 ohm resistor or a 1uf cap to the tweeter" mods. That would be fine for taming the highs however I'm looking for a little more. Perhaps some crossover mods.

So now for my question...

Are there any crossover fixes that will help these speakers? I have not been able to find any information on the RTi10 crossovers. I know that the RTiA7 and the RTi10 are basically the same speaker. Will the RTiA7 crossover mods work on the RTi10's?
Post edited by Jefe on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited January 2014
    doubt it two different beast. Some replace the electrolytic's with poly caps but it will still be kinda of bright. What gear you running that may affect more so than XO...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited January 2014
    I have ran the RTiA7 crossover in a RTi10

It is an improvement, I would increase the resistance in the tweeter network ever so slightly
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited January 2014
    Aside from opening them up (I'd rather not do that), where can the specs for RTi10s be found? Not looking to do mine next week, but it would be nice to know approximate costs if I ever decide to go cap shopping...

Anyone?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • VR3
    edited January 2014
    I would just build a RTiA7 crossover, the mids and lows are incredibly superior to that of the RTI10 crossover. The highs are about the same
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jefe
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for all of the quick responses. Sounds like there is some hope for these speakers.

VR3 - Would your RTiA7 crossover upgrades achieve the results I am looking for?
  • VR3
    edited January 2014
    People have reported cleaner highs that are warmer but the issue would be sourcing the inductors and would increase the cost of a build with a RTi10 but it can be done
  • Jefe
    edited January 2014
    Even though it is doable, sounds like I am better off just getting another set of speakers. Thanks for your time and expertise.
  • eon
    eon Posts: 1
    I was running these speakers off a hk7550 receiver rated at 110 x7 channels. The rms is actual. I was having the same issue with shrill highs and muddy base. Spent 400 on a carver Tfm55 amp. I used the pre outs for front speakers (rti10s) on the hk to the input on the carver. Result. Amazing sound from the Rti10. Evened out low Mids and highs. Deep undistorted low end bass crisp highs clean vocals. Use an amp with these speakers. They are power hungry but when they are fed enough power, holy crap!! Be it movies or music. These speakers kick but when set up properly.