HDMI Audio extractor

NeilGabriel
NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
edited January 2014 in Electronics
http://www.parts-express.com/hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995

I am in need of a 2nd/3rd generation Roku to stream VUDU. But the Roku only uses HDMI for video AND audio output. My receiver does not have HDMI input, so I want to extract the audio in 5.1 (toslink/optical), run video to HDTV and audio to receiver.

Is that what the above adaptor does? I'm not familiar with SPDIF, but assume that is the normal 5.1 optical output.

Thanks for the help.

NG
Post edited by NeilGabriel on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2013
    Unless I am wrong the Roku's offer HDMI, Optical and composite connections (see pic below).

Attachment not found.

You should be able to use HDMI and Optical at the same time....

This is at least how the back of my unit looks.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • NeilGabriel
    edited December 2013
    I believe that is an older model and Roku did not update to support VUDU. Many complaints about this on Internet.

I will double check.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2013
    If your TV has a digital sound output, ie optical or SPDIF/coaxil then you could run hdmi from roku into the tv and then sound out into your receiver. If no digital out, you could still run 2ch rca out from TV and let receiver use Dolby processing to convert to surround sound. Good luck. Also you can look for older Roku's for sale in your area. I've bought three this past year for under $40 each.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2013
    Model# for an older unit? My SSP doesn't process HDMI
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2013
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Model# for an older unit? My SSP doesn't process HDMI
    The discontinued XD/S is model 2100X. I never used it but have the Roku 2 and the Roku 3. The 3 has a way faster processor so if you can work it out with an HDMI splitter of some sort, you will like the Roku 3 a lot more.

If you have to have the XD/S, they are available on eBay all the time for about $50 or so.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,740
    edited December 2013
    I have this but the LED's are ridiculously bright. There are better options but it does work. Every time it turns on it auto selects input 1, which is on the front..the remaining 2-3 inputs are on the rear which is goofy so if you want to hide the cables you need to leave #1 empty.

It works but again there are other HDMI switchers that I would likely get over this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5557&CAWELAID=1329451830&catargetid=320013720000010715&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIPK6_7f2rsCFSUOOgodVBEAOw
  • NeilGabriel
    edited January 2014
    J-Tech Digital (Registered Us Trademark) Premium Quality Hdmi To Hdmi + Audio (Spdif + 3.5Mm Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter

I ordered the above product. Below is the description of its audio extraction abilities. My concern is that VUDU states that it streams audio at 7.1. I am hoping that 5.1 can still be extracted.

Can someone explain how I use uncompressed audio for LPCM? I understand that is a lossless format. Not sure how extractor pulls this out. Is it encoded in the disk?

Audio EDID Settings: 2CH for L/R or SPDIF stereo output; 5.1CH for SPDIF Output, Supports uncompressed audio such as LPCM. Supports compressed audio such as DTS Digital,
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2014
    gmcman,
    So that I'm clear:
    gmcman wrote: »
    I have this...
    ...and this is?
    gmcman wrote: »
    Does the Monoprice item do a better job; more user friendly?

Either way thanks, dude! You are an example of what's RIGHT about this forum!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,740
    edited January 2014
    gmcman,
    So that I'm clear: ...and this is?

Yes that's the one.
    Does the Monoprice item do a better job; more user friendly?

Not sure, again if I could do it all over I would have opted for a higher priced model. The unit I listed extracts 5.1 from HDMI but is sloppy in design. If you turn it off you still need to change to Input 2 if you use the rear ports each time you turn it on. That's just me being picky but it does the job.
  • NeilGabriel
    edited January 2014
    From what I have read and what VUDU sent to me, if the audio signal in the HDMI stream is Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, the audio extractors will not extract the signal. VUDU support told me I would have to use the 2 channel mode of an extractor. Most of the new VUVU movies use the DD+ 5.1 stream and some use 7.1. I don't want to use 2 channel to create a surround effect for all of my movies.

The model referenced by gmcman does not show that it supports DD+ 5.1 (or maybe it just downgrades it to DD 5.1?

Guess I will know when the unit I bought shows up.

I have a straight monoprice switcher....4 HDMI in and 1 out...and it has gotten touchy when I switch between the inputs...takes coaxing to get it to go from Roku to cable input.
  • Does magnifi Max SR support lpcm5.1?