Polk Audio LSiM703 Crossover Modification Thread

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,967
edited February 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Now THIS is going to be a challenge!

I am shooting for a complete replacement mod, inductors and wiring on a simple drop in replacement! Mark...get set... go!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited November 2013
    Here is the game plan...

"Fortress Plus"

Tweeter Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistors
    Jantzen air core Inductors
    Supra 15 Awg Wiring, gold disconnects

Midrange Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA
    Bennic Electro bypassed by Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistors
    Jantzen Air Core Inductors

Woofer Network -
    Bennic Electro bypassed by Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistor
    Jantzen Inductors

Additional Features -
    Larger rod for taller stack
    Delrin substrate, point to point wiring
    Stock terminal plates and binding post
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited November 2013
    Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of room, but I know you will knock this out of the park.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • VR3
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for the vote of confidence! :)

It will fit, one way or another!! :-D
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited November 2013
    You can do it!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2013
    I'd like to be first in line to offer a listening comparison vs my stock pair of 703's. Buy you dinner, give you a blanket and pillow for the couch to stay overnight if the listening nectar needs to wear off before driving....
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited December 2013
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    I'd like to be first in line to offer a listening comparison vs my stock pair of 703's. Buy you dinner, give you a blanket and pillow for the couch to stay overnight if the listening nectar needs to wear off before driving....

Can I come? Pretty please? :mrgreen:
  • VR3
    edited December 2013

LOL, That would be up to Mike! :-D
  • Mikey081057
    edited December 2013
    VR3 wrote: »
    LOL, That would be up to Mike! :-D

I would actually prefer that you get the shoot out done too while they are on the road trip.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Polk&Beans
    Polk&Beans Posts: 94
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the pics. Was curious about the XO. Good Luck! VR3!
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    My schedule unfortunately would not make a road trip possible but if it is ok with Mike I can mail them TNHandyman first... That is something we can all discuss?
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited December 2013
    ^ guys I was sorta kidding, not really thinking it was a possibility BUT...hell yeah!

I would actually rather drive to Charlotte and pick up vs having to ship them to me and would want to coordinate everything thru the owner- Mickey first. Details could be worked out thru PM's, but was curious as to how you are shipping them back. Are they in the original boxes or hopefully something a little sturdier to ship?

Cody if this pans out, absolutely your welcome at my place anytime. Maybe we could get Conradicles, TennMan, and a few others to come in for a day long mini fest.

Just let me know guys and the timeframe for them being ready VR3.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• Mikey081057
    edited December 2013
    ^ guys I was sorta kidding, not really thinking it was a possibility BUT...hell yeah!

I would actually rather drive to Charlotte and pick up vs having to ship them to me and would want to coordinate everything thru the owner- Mickey first. Details could be worked out thru PM's, but was curious as to how you are shipping them back. Are they in the original boxes or hopefully something a little sturdier to ship?

Cody if this pans out, absolutely your welcome at my place anytime. Maybe we could get Conradicles, TennMan, and a few others to come in for a day long mini fest.

Just let me know guys and the timeframe for them being ready VR3.

Alls I want for Christmas is my VR3 LSIM's home for the holidays... So if they were to take a road trip to TN before or after that, I would not mind, I am sure we can work out the details and get some good exposure for Trey...I won't be happy until you can buy VR3 modsdirectly from polk as an option and Trey is driving a pimped out Bentley.

• VR3
    edited December 2013
    WP_20131212_21_42_22_Pro.jpg
    Tricky...
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited December 2013
    ^ Wow.... you could put some Cardas Silver soder on the ends of those and go vampire hunting in Transylvania.

• VR3
    edited December 2013
    WP_20131213_17_59_42_Pro.jpg
    LOL! They wont be that long on the final product...
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited December 2013
    My goodness!!!... that looks nuts. Have fun with the build!
  • Mikey081057
    edited December 2013
    nice

• VR3
    edited December 2013
    It is going to be pretty nuts, I am estimating each crossover to weigh approx. 6-8 pounds. If not more.
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    It fits like a tight glove, had to enlarge the opening a tad to make it fit and change out the connector on the midrange unit, otherwise is a drop in replacement! Took approximately 2 minutes to install once the hole and connectors were changed.

Not the prettiest mod due to the amount of parts but it is actually laid out fairly well and all the wire runs were relatively short!
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited December 2013
    Hey VR3, just wondering if there was any reason to replace the air core inductors that came with the original crossover. Was there a difference even with matching mH and DCR or did you tweak any of those values?
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    This was the hardest Fortress mod I have ever completed.. took me four days to just figure out the stack. It had to be exactly 8.5" or it would not fit... plus I needed to keep the inductors in proper orientation...

The air cores in the network did not make much of a difference as the originals are actually pretty nice. Everything is an exact MH/DCR replacement.

There are a lot* of things in the midrange circuit that can be improved that this modification touches on and there is a critical 82uf that should be replaced with a film but it would not fit...

Overall the stock crossover is nice but it has a lot of components that can be improved...
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    This is definitely the hardest mod I have ever done for multiple reasons...
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited December 2013
    You packed things in tighter than the farm boy in skinny jeans.
    Nice work.
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    LOL

I tell ya man, this was a tough one... not as artistic as I like to be but it fits with just enough clearance to make it an easy install, hell of a lot easier than what Polk did! LOL

The bass response seems to be unaffected, I would say it actually digs deeper and is quite a bit cleaner in the lower registers. I was a bit concerned the taken up space would be a negative...

Thank you :)
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited December 2013
    Sometimes artistic and functional just don't go together.As long as things work out as planed.
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    This is true...

I had a buddy over here and we were comparing the modified 703 versus my stock 705 and the 703 was substantially better in the mids and highs. So I can say with confidence this is a worthwhile modification... :)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2013
    VR3 wrote: »

Wow Trey! Even on my crappy computer speakers it becomes blatantly obvious that the modified 703's leave the stock ones in the dust. The bass and especially the midrange are nice in the modified ones! Nice job Trey!! :smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited December 2013
    I can't believe I missed this thread. Wow, that's quite a complex crossover and looks like a bear to figure out. How many burn-in hours do you have on it?

Something that comes to mind that I'm sure you may have thought of, but what about an external X-over showing off those cool Clarity caps? You could form a fiberglass dome and cover it with a black laquer of some sort rounding off the sides. Could go as far as using glass, plexi-glass but plexi isn't very chemical resistant.

Wouldn't look right sticking out 6" from the back but maybe 2-3" using a double stacked setup with 2 layers of components.

Could use all glass and have black edges to cover the joints.

Just throwing out ideas since I know you like the challenge. I know this is a moot point since it's already finished but I'm impressed you made it all fit.
  • fryedspeakers
    fryedspeakers Posts: 11
    edited December 2013
    thats one mean lookn stack there trey !!!