Difference between RTi and RTiA Series?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,544
edited December 2013 in Speakers
Hey guys,
sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I tried searching and didn't come up with anything.
I'm curious as to the differences between the RTi and RTiA series speakers.
Most of what I read says that they're basically the same speaker, but surely there has to be some differences?
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Well there is a letter A in one and not the other..

What do I win???

LOL!! J/K
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The cabinets are VERY different and there is possibly some sound differences, but highly doubt it that's pronounced if its there. Its mostly aesthetic.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The A series is a better looking design, not sure on sound differences but worth the extra coin for looks alone.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited December 2013
    Options
    From what I hear, the RtiA series is a tad less bright. Maybe they added a resistor in the xover or something.
  • msg
    edited December 2013
    Options
    thanks for the responses so far.
    yeah, I'm more curious as to whether there are any design diffs. for instance, the RTi8 vs the RTiA5. the RTiA5 employs the PowerPort Plus, whereas the RTi8 uses the PowerPort. the RTiA5 seems to have an additional port at the bottom on the front. stuff like this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,166
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Well there is a letter A in one and not the other..

What do I win???

LOL!! J/K

That was funny
    The cabinets are VERY different and there is possibly some sound differences, but highly doubt it that's pronounced if its there. Its mostly aesthetic.

+1, agree with this.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    The RTi A5 is a fine speaker

The A5 really had a nice sound to it during audition time I spent with the store demo pair.

This is a common statement from all the A5 owners I know, in fact, some use phrases like "In heaven", but I've also heard those statements from i8 owners as well.

I'd say either way you go, you're a winner big time.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited December 2013
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Geoff, if the idjit sales guy didn't lead me over to the system with the A7s on it...the A5s would be in my living room, there wouldn't be a Parasound amp and well...enough said. LOL

LOL, too bad there wasn't a bigger idjit to lead you to the A9 set up, you'd be a hysterical mofe like myself :mrgreen:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • msg
    edited December 2013
    Options
    good stuff, thanks fellas.

I'm seeing the previous gen RTi series speakers on sale here and there.
    was about the pull the trigger on the RTi12's over at Fry's a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't quite sure, and was seeing mixed feedback, most of which stating that they require a proper amp. won't be a problem, but just wasn't quite ready to jump in. now wondering whether I should have gone for them and just run them as is while I research and shop out the rest of this system.

system priority is for music, with home theater secondary. I'm sure I'll find myself with a floor/amp combo down the road, but the RTi12's just seemed almost too big, and the RTiA7's seemed like a better fit. I have nothing to base this on though. haven't heard either, but noticed years ago how underpowered speakers can sound a bit empty. the space hugely open with and irregular floor plan, but just standard 8ft ceiling. listening area is not yet set, either, and speaker size may dictate this to a degree, which I realize is sort of backward, but as it sits, there are no "side" walls.

the reason for this post and asking about the RTi8/A5 is that I was considering something for slightly fuller music in the meantime, while I decide on some proper floor speakers/amp. just been messing around with some used/donated equipment lately, consisting of a little Pioneer VSX-521K and a set of old Infinity Minuette satellites, center + 8" subwoofer. I haven't bought equipment in years, and am coming from the old huge floor speakers with 12" - 18" woofers/mids/tweeters + horns. obviously things have changed a lot since then, and while the current setup is okay, it's just okay, and I am noticing lack of body, for obvious reasons.

anyway, while we're on the subject -

1. are the RTi12's essentially the same as the RTiA9's? both offer PowerPort Plus - are these cabs the same otherwise save for some aesthetics, or truly redesigned? I've been seeing everyone saying that they're the same thing, but are they really? surely there has to be some design difference to come with the name change. I'm just not finding this info anywhere.

2. to those of you with the RTi12/A9 - is it that much better for rich, full music than the RTi10/A7? and even at mid to low listening levels, or do these things need to be cranked to sound good? as I understand it, this is probably a function of power at any listening level, yes?
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2013
    Options
    If your going to get an Amp with some Power in the mix, get the A9's and don't look back.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited December 2013
    Options
    msg wrote: »

anyway, while we're on the subject -

1. are the RTi12's essentially the same as the RTiA9's? both offer PowerPort Plus - are these cabs the same otherwise save for some aesthetics, or truly redesigned? I've been seeing everyone saying that they're the same thing, but are they really? surely there has to be some design difference to come with the name change. I'm just not finding this info anywhere.

2. to those of you with the RTi12/A9 - is it that much better for rich, full music than the RTi10/A7? and even at mid to low listening levels, or do these things need to be cranked to sound good? as I understand it, this is probably a function of power at any listening level, yes?

1. Essentially yes. I've got the 9's but I know guys with the 12's and have heard the 9's and feel no need to switch.

2. I chose the 9 because of the unique midrange/tweeter compared to the other speakers in it's series. They are very accurate at low to mid levels but man does the detail jump out at you at high levels.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I was able to listen to the RTI A5 and RTI 8 side by side when I first started shopping. I really didn't hear very much difference in sound, they were both in the middle of a fairly large show room, and I'm far from being an audiophile. Personally, I liked the A5's a little better than the A7's, just a tad better mid-range in my opinion.

I settled on the A5's, because I got a really good buy, and like the cabinets a lot better than the traditional box shape if the RTI line. Completely satisfied with them, but I was looking for a speaker mainly for HT.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Here is my honest opinion, you will be very happy with either the RTi12's or the RTiA9's, for the price of the 12's jump and don't look back if you have a tight budget.
  • msg
    edited December 2013
    Options
    music being the primary focus, I just assumed I'd need an amp at some point with real floor speakers, yeah.
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    If your going to get an Amp with some Power in the mix, get the A9's and don't look back.

okay, good info.
    I was just reading about the 12/9A and see that they have a separate sealed enclosure for the mid-high array while the sub enclosure is ported (pretty cool; seems like a little like a component setup and would be pretty clean, I'd think?) and the RTi8/10 uses a slightly different setup for that (ARC)? just stumbled across the RTi10's as well, btw. this complicates things a bit. haha, I think I need a break and some time for this to sink in. the options get overwhelming when piecing a system together.

is ARC still separated from the main cabinet enclosure?
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    1. Essentially yes. I've got the 9's but I know guys with the 12's and have heard the 9's and feel no need to switch.

2. I chose the 9 because of the unique midrange/tweeter compared to the other speakers in it's series. They are very accurate at low to mid levels but man does the detail jump out at you at high levels.
    I disabled signatures.
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Got a parasound 2250 for sale btw. If I'm not supposed to post that here I apologize!
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,647
    edited December 2013
    Options
    This was asked while Mark(doro) was here more and if I member right there was crossover work also in the A line..His words"better crossovers"....Of course better cabinetry...
  • PolishDude
    PolishDude Posts: 58
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I am going through a similar situation but just can't get myself to like the rti style, they look better with the grills on than the Rtia, my opinon, but I want to run them with grills off. I just found a cherry set of a7s used, if I can get a good deal on them they will be mine, otherwise a5s will have to do the trick with a couple psw505s.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited December 2013
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

+1. I've owned both. For music between the two, get the A9's and an amp.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • msg
    edited December 2013
    Options
    all great feedback fellas, thanks.
    been learning a good bit the past few days.

I do like the design of the RTiA series a bit better, but for the sake of keeping this project on the practical side, I had to go with the old stock RTi stuff.

ended up going with a set of RTi10's through the Polk Ebay store. was a tough decision, but I think the 10's will be a better fit/entry point for me at this juncture. I'll go from here. future plans involve research of a decent receiver, power amp, sub, and center speaker. thanks again for all the great info and feedback on your personal experiences.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    edited December 2013
    Options
    but I want to run them with grills off.

Why? All that gets you is dusty drivers, poking fingers and if you're watching the drivers, you're not really listening.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,207
    edited December 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    if you're watching the drivers, you're not really listening.

Perhaps he's a multitasker! Sorry, I've had a couple cocktails and everything I say right now cracks me up! I'm my #1 fan.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Can't remember who but some one provided many RTi 10 XO details. Enough to confirm, between the closure & XO, the only things it has in common w/the 'A7 is the tweeter & brand name.

I'm confident the same is true for the RTi vs RTi A lines.

Also the "A" line, due their shape, are inherently more rigid & have far less internal standing wave issues compared to boxy ones.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    Options
    Can anyone comment on the tonal balance of RTiA7 vs. RTi8?

I briefly used RTi8 in a secondary system and found them to be way too bright and fatiguing for music.

Are RTiA7 as bright as RTi8?

5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • msg
    Options
    wow, blast from the past. I think this might have been my very first post!

I can't comment on any RTiA vs RTi similarities/differences, but some general info on RTi10's (similar to A7's) for music...

Since I've been on here, it seems like plenty of members like RTiA's for music. All I can contribute is that the RTi10's I had (have? sitting in a closet :/) back then were way too bright for me for music. I tried different AVR's, then amps and preamps. The closest I got was with an old B&K MC-101 preamp and EX-442 amp with the treble dialed back a bit. Even then, not good enough for me to keep them in use. They were pretty nice for TV along with a CSi5, but for music, just not enjoyable at all. At All. I'd actually deem it a stressful experience. I tried them out again in a more plush space several months after switching them out - they lasted less than 15 minutes.

Maybe someone else will be able to chime in with some direct experience, but I say if music's your thing and you're at all sensitive to bright, thin sound, consider some other options as well as A7's or 8's. I ended up settling on some Monitor 10's with 194 tweeters, and some LSiM703's. I'm pretty pleased with them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    Options
    For kicks, I've tried out several floorstanding speakers in this secondary 2-ch system (Emotiva DC-1 DAC feeding a Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver). I use this system to play around with different speakers, knowing that I will need to sell a pair or two to fund the next experiment.

RTi8:
    Too bright and fatiguing for music.

Pioneer FS52:
    They are my son's, but I tested them in this system. They sound pretty good for an entry-level speaker.

Energy RC-70:
    Currently own. Nice, well-built speakers, but a bit too mellow in the highs for my ears/preference. I can live with them, but feel they lack energy (pun intended) in the highs, and can sound a but dull.

Def Tech BP10B:
    Currently own. I have not spent much time with them yet, but a like their tonal balance the best of the 4. I think of them as a "fun" speaker - the bipolar design puts out a wall of sound. They also have impressive bass. However, I've noticed that the highs can sound edgy when the volume is pushed.

Back to the RTiA7 vs. RTi8 comparison - if the RTiA7 are as bright as the RTi8, I will cross them off of the list of test subjects.

5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    wow, blast from the past. I think this might have been my very first post!

I can't comment on any RTiA vs RTi similarities/differences, but some general info on RTi10's (similar to A7's) for music...

Since I've been on here, it seems like plenty of members like RTiA's for music. All I can contribute is that the RTi10's I had (have? sitting in a closet :/) back then were way too bright for me for music. I tried different AVR's, then amps and preamps. The closest I got was with an old B&K MC-101 preamp and EX-442 amp with the treble dialed back a bit. Even then, not good enough for me to keep them in use. They were pretty nice for TV along with a CSi5, but for music, just not enjoyable at all. At All. I'd actually deem it a stressful experience. I tried them out again in a more plush space several months after switching them out - they lasted less than 15 minutes.

Maybe someone else will be able to chime in with some direct experience, but I say if music's your thing and you're at all sensitive to bright, thin sound, consider some other options as well as A7's or 8's. I ended up settling on some Monitor 10's with 194 tweeters, and some LSiM703's. I'm pretty pleased with them.

I also had a frustrating music experience with the RTIA series, had 7's and 9's. I was running warm gear as well, Like harman kardon and sunfire. They lasted a little over a year in my house before I ditched them for lsi.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    Options
    IMO the RITA series is the best overall sounding RT series speakers to date. I'm sure Polk is working on a newer version as the RTIA series has been out for a pretty long time now.
    If I was in the market for this price class speaker , I would seriously consider the RTIA7's to live in my home. Honestly I believe these would be the ones I would buy.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I use to love my RTiA7's until I heard better and they were better for HT then music, I have now sold them to a friend who is making up a new HT set up and I took them over his house power by a Adcom 5503 and he loved them but he is 95% movies and TV.
    since getting some Monitor 10's & CRS's & now a set of LSiM 703's. I have gone mostly to listening to music without as much care for HT. (for now) but then i have changed out amplifier & Cables and power cords etc...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    IMO the RITA series is the best overall sounding RT series speakers to date. I'm sure Polk is working on a newer version as the RTIA series has been out for a pretty long time now.
    If I was in the market for this price class speaker , I would seriously consider the RTIA7's to live in my home. Honestly I believe these would be the ones I would buy.
    in which respects/for what type of use do you find them best?
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I also had a frustrating music experience with the RTIA series, had 7's and 9's. I was running warm gear as well, Like harman kardon and sunfire. They lasted a little over a year in my house before I ditched them for lsi.
    yeah, I really wanted to make them work, but just couldn't. in fact, I built my system sort of in the opposite direction and chased my tail for months trying to find gear to fit the speakers instead of speakers to fit gear.
    voltz wrote: »
    I use to love my RTiA7's until I heard better and they were better for HT then music
    since getting some Monitor 10's & CRS's & now a set of LSiM 703's. I have gone mostly to listening to music without as much care for HT. (for now)
    my path was very similar.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    Options
    yeah, I really wanted to make them work, but just couldn't. in fact, I built my system sort of in the opposite direction and chased my tail for months trying to find gear to fit the speakers instead of speakers to fit gear.
    I use to love my RTiA7's until I heard better and they were better for HT then music
    since getting some Monitor 10's & CRS's & now a set of LSiM 703's. I have gone mostly to listening to music without as much care for HT. (for now)
    I found them to be very balanced in this price class for Theater first and Music second. They are not my first choice for music listening but to get the best of both worlds in this price class I can't think of another speaker that will best them.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I found them to be very balanced in this price class for Theater first and Music second. They are not my first choice for music listening but to get the best of both worlds in this price class I can't think of another speaker that will best them.

I'm not a klipsch fan but I have to say the RF800B is a great bang for the buck speaker.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.