Hey T.U.I. listen up::

Options
sgtgto
sgtgto Posts: 310
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hi:

Do me a favor. Put your RT55s on stands or whatever and set them on the inside, about 8" from your RT2000s, and not quiet level at the top. Connect them in parallel and let me know what you think.

Gary:p
Post edited by sgtgto on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I recently put my rt25's on top of my rt1000's. I ran parallel witch gave me 4ohms. My Onkyo handeled it well but got a little warmer than usual. Checked the manual and it strongly suggested against any load under 6ohm. So I then ran them in series which gave me a 16ohm. Reciever runs much cooler now. Did not notice very much differnce in sound. I am very happy with the results. Plenty of volume and clarity. :D
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi:

Scott, you need to put them alongside the RT1000s and slightly below the top of the 1000s, 8 or 9 inches apart.

Gary
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    sgtgto- have you tried a side by side comparasion between running the dual fronts on each side; side by side vs. stacked???

just curious? i am running rt800i/rt35i's stacked, and i was very happy with the results and the greater detail this set-up provided. i believe you are running 2000's and 800's, and i am assuming you too, are happy with your results, i'm just curious if you have tried a 'stacked' method against your side bye side?
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    24_9_thumb.jpg

i've updated my system showcase pics.:D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    you should buld a custom grill for them
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    hell they look 50 feet high!! might as well get another sub and stack the speakers on them.

scott;)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Doing this doesn't have any cancelation effects? Maybe I should stack my RT25i's on top of my RT55's...thoughts?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    When I first got my RT55's I stacked them on stop of my RT800's just to I could use the RT800's speaker wire to test them out. That was a scary proposition since the RT55 is significanly wider than the RT800. I had the Leaning Tower of Polk that thankfully didn't come tumbling down. I never tried playing them together. Someday I'll try it, but side-by-side.

Aaron
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    ron, give it a shot. adding the 35's to the 800's greatly improved the highs and midrange. test it out, see what you think and let me know your thoughts on it...

on the side by side vs. stacked, i haven't demoed them against each other, but in theory, is there a reason one should be better than the other? thoughts?

goingganzo-don't they look great 'naked' though???:D

wangotango68- the angle of the shot is helping the height, alonst had the digital on the floor for 'effect':rolleyes: check out the system showcase, you can see how they look from behind the 'sweet spot'...
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Juice, do you have these running in parallel, series, or are you A+B'ing these? Please, pardon my prying.
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    wiring in parallel...(it's my only option)

A/B played simultaneously downgrades to a stereo downmix on my rec. in 5.1 applications...

works well, no over heating...yet:D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Ron - If you do this let me know what you think. I have considered trying this since I can get a pair of rt25is very reasonable right now. I had a pair of large Advents with a pair of AR 4x sitting on top. I could connect one to the A and and one to the B and play them at the same time. They complimented each other very well and sounded really good together. This was in a old stereo 2 channel setup.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi:

The stack method doesn't work to produce what I am looking for, A broader sound stage. When you stack them you are also way above ear level which isn't good. To get the proper sound stage they need to be side by side. Try it and you will see what I mean.

Gary
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i will play around with my placement a bit when i get some free time, hear what the differences are for myself. the height isn't (too) bad for my application, although ear level is preffered, my center has to sit high on my entertainment center. it is tilted down towards the listening position, but the 'stacked' method has the tweeters are a relatively close horizontal level...

nevertheless, i am going to experiment with this...:D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I had my 800's running with my 1000's at the time.. it sounded ok.. but I like them stacked better.. sin my 55's are upside down now..its more at ear height..

oh..I have nor room to put them on stands next to my 2000's anyway...
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    Options
    you can put something under your chair cushin so you can set higher
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i would rather buy a beter main like the ls instead of running dual fronts just my thoughts
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I cant argue with that last statement...but since I already had the 200i...and needed to trade in my fx/300is for something... I figured why not

with the Lsi's..I would need an amp that can run 4ohms..wich I do not have...
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    yeah, i would prefer the LSi's too over the 800/35 combo, but i had the 35's available after getting the 1000's. it sounds good for now, the LSi's are awhile off for me...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I've got my Acoustiflex sitting atop my 10Bs. Man is this ever good. Now listening to one or the other pales in comparison. I also turned the Acoustiflex over. Before I turned them over it sounded blurred. Probably time delay problems. Now the space between the tweets is at ear level.

I have them hooked-up A/B, but my JVC uses the rear amps for the B so I can adjust the volume independently and have the Polks at 6ohms and the Acoustiflex at 8ohms. But I can only listen to one pair in 5.1, but I can switch between the 2.

Edit: Mouse died. Reboot, etc. I have B (sub-room) pre-outs. If I hooked up another amp I could listen to both sets as fronts in 5.1 I'm thinking about a 200/ch Denon if I can talk my buddy into it, or a multi-channel for the house like the 12 ch Niles.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi:

I keep saying it and I will again. You need the speakers side by side. Having them on top of one another is an improvement, it doesn't compare with side by side.

Gary:D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited March 2002
    Options
    sgtgo//// u keep saying its better on the side... but did you put your 800's on your 2000's? In my room...what I have is working just fine..in your room..what you have is fine... green apples to red apples..bottom..line... apples.. :):cool:
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi TUI:

All i'm saying is try it.

Gary:p