Blu-ray players and universal remotes

Beta
Beta Posts: 267
edited December 2013 in Electronics
I've been using a Sony BDP S350 for about six years now. Lately it keeps freezing up on me mid movie. I'm not sure if this is the result of Netflix DVD's being trashed, or this thing is dying on me. Any thoughts? Also, the long loading time just drives me nuts.

Anyways, my knowledge of HT is a bit limited. I use a Denon 4310CI as a processor. I have a Parasound Halo A21 driving my fronts and a Parasound Halo A31 driving my center and rears. I use Polk LCi in wall speakers.

I'm guessing I need to pick up a new Blu-ray player. My use will strictly be for movies. Not music. I have a separate 2 channel system for music.

I have been thinking about buying the Oppo 103D. However, I have no idea if the 103D is overkill since my use is for video. Any opinions or recommendations on Blu-ray players would be appreciated.

Also, I bought a Logitech universal remote for HT use about seven years ago. The darn thing has worked like a champion all this time, but it is now starting to go. I have no idea which one it is. The only thing I can remember is I bought it at Home Depot. Any opinions or recommendations on universal remotes would also be appreciated.

Thank you
Post edited by Beta on

Comments

• JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    edited December 2013
    What is your budget?

Sony BDP-S790 can be had for about $200 and give an outstanding picture and you can make adjustments as well. If you want to spend more cash then go with a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD or the 53FD (about $400) These players have the Marvell QDEO video processor for outstanding picture...or you can jump into the OPPO BDP-103 for about $500 and it also has the Marvel QDEO processor..

it's all about your budget and some differences these players offer...read about them and decide....

I own the Sony BDP-S790 and the Pioneer Elite BDP-53FD and love them both.

Juan
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited December 2013
    Just want to note that the Sony BDP-S790 was "revised" late this year. I will dig up the article but there have been rumblings that the revisions were most assuredly not for the better.

That being said, my 590 is still in use in my bedroom and is also SACD capable but has been discontinued.

I would lean towards the Pioneers or the Oppos.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited December 2013
    Save yourself 2-3 hundred dollars and pick up an older model (within the last 2 yeas) that will have the same Marvell chipset. All of the Oppo line is known for their performance so a 83 on up will serve you well and many of the Pioneer units Elite or non elites will give you great visual pleasure. I picked up the 95FD for $60 off Ebay, a $900 unit 4 fours ago, works like a champ, bit slow load time but the PQ is worth the wait. Just my 2 cents.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Beta
    edited December 2013
    Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated!
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited December 2013
    funny... no one asked you what TV you're using. But if you're in socal and near a Magnolia AV, just pick a 103D up and try it out for a week and return it if you don't like it.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    edited December 2013
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    funny... no one asked you what TV you're using. But if you're in socal and near a Magnolia AV, just pick a 103D up and try it out for a week and return it if you don't like it.

If you do as aboroth00 suggests, let me know if you return it and which Magnolia store you went to, so I can pick it up as an open box item. heheeh
  • Beta
    edited December 2013

63 inch Samsung C8000 Plasma. Never thought about Magnolia. Have one a couple of miles away. I was going to buy via Audio Advisor. Hopefully, Magnolia will match AA's price. Thanks! Appreciate the tip.

All the best
  • aboroth00
    edited December 2013
    Beta wrote: »
    63 inch Samsung C8000 Plasma. Never thought about Magnolia. Have one a couple of miles away. I was going to buy via Audio Advisor. Hopefully, Magnolia will match AA's price. Thanks! Appreciate the tip.

All the best

Hey Beta,

Where are you located? I live pretty close to the Costa Mesa one and they only have the 103 on display so you'll have to buy the 103D to try it out. No restocking fee though. Magnolia's price is technically cheaper at 600$ only thing is that they charge tax and I'm pretty sure you can't negotiate state taxes :P.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Beta
    edited December 2013
    Hey Beta,

Where are you located? I live pretty close to the Costa Mesa one and they only have the 103 on display so you'll have to buy the 103D to try it out. No restocking fee though. Magnolia's price is technically cheaper at 600$ only thing is that they charge tax and I'm pretty sure you can't negotiate state taxes :P.

Thanks for the heads up aboroth00. I'm located a few miles away from the Costa Mesa store. My plan at this juncture is to go after the holidays and pick up the 103D.
  • zruben
    zruben Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    I've been using a Sony BDP S350 for about six years now. Lately it keeps freezing up on me mid movie. I'm not sure if this is the result of Netflix DVD's being trashed, or this thing is dying on me. Any thoughts? Also, the long loading time just drives me nuts.

I feel your pain! That thing is painfully slow.
  • aboroth00
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the heads up aboroth00. I'm located a few miles away from the Costa Mesa store. My plan at this juncture is to go after the holidays and pick up the 103D.

I'm not too far away from the Costa Mesa store either. It's a nice unit, and they have the regular 103 on display which I assume would be identical other than the Darbee chip.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • aboroth00
    edited December 2013
    DSkip wrote: »
    Sure you can... just tell them to knock it down to $600 out the door.

Hey worth a shot... Unfortunately I tried to talk the guy down and he just replied that the Oppo is so popular it just flies out the door and open boxes are pretty much gone before you know it. But if i tried the take off the tax maneuver... who knows might have worked.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert