If not Polk, then...

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited December 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got a 2008 Xterra and NEED to upgrade from the stock system. Obviously I am considering Polk, but who else should I look at. I remember liking the sound of Focal, but have not hear much else.

Thanks.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited November 2013
    alpine type g's are pretty nice for the money, but dont know if they have hit the american market, may be euro only still
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2013
    At their price point, it's hard to beat Polk. If you're wanting to spend a lot more though, Focal, Morel and Hertz all make good stuff too. If you're wanting to go DIY, there are a lot of options there like Seas and Scanspeak.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • zruben
    zruben Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    JL and Alpine have some pretty good quality speakers; however, Focal's do sound extremely good. I'd suggest finding a some type of car audio store where you can listen to everything side by side. That's the best way to figure out what sounds right to your ears.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the input. I agree that Polks seem to be priced better than the others I am looking at. Now I need to find someone to do the install for a reasonable price.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2013
    How far away from Seattle is Olympia? I have an old MECA buddy that recently moved back out there after retiring from the army and opened up a shop. I easily recommend him. He won a SQ world champhionship (I think maybe 2) and a few install world championships so he obviously knows his way around an install bay. One of the best guys youll ever meet too.

https://www.facebook.com/SoundstageCarAudio

**edit**

Google maps shows it to be an hour drive (60 miles) from Seattle. If you dont mind the drive, he's the guy you should see.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2013
    Jeez, that looks like some nice quality custom work he does. The drive would be a lot, but dang. I'll think about it.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2013
    MacLeod,

What is your buddy's name for when I call?
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2013
    Steve McIntyre. My name is Aaron Thomas from Chattanooga. Tell him I sent ya.

• Shizelbs
    edited December 2013
  • evamodel00
    evamodel00 Posts: 11
    edited December 2013
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I just got a 2008 Xterra and NEED to upgrade from the stock system. Obviously I am considering Polk, but who else should I look at. I remember liking the sound of Focal, but have not hear much else.

Thanks.

The polk MM 6501 are really hard to beat for their price point. However, you could obviously look into other sets. Image Dyanmics generally give you a good bang for your buck. Rainbow has a few lower priced sets, along with the previous sets mentioned by others above (hertz, morel, alpine). To me though, I really think that the MM series is a ton of speaker for the money you shell out.
  • pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Old thread but figured I'd throw in my $.0

I've always loved using Alpine products. I can find Type-R speakers from certain eBay dealers with warranty for the same price as Focal's lower end speakers. They also take power like a champ! I was running Type-X comps all the way around and wasn't a fan, though. Then again, when I'm in my car I like having my music a little louder than quality. With that being said my Type-R Comps have 186w rms going to them from a PDX F6 and they handle everything I throw at them.

As for subs...again the Type R's are a good bargain but I find that they take too much power to really shine. RE Audio seems to be the most efficient to my ears and really give you good thud in the back.

For amps...I go Alpine all the way again because of price:performance. I got both my PDX F6 and PDX M12 for under $1k two back in 2012 through the same eBay dealers. The F6's birth sheet showed 186w rms and the M12 showed 1440w rms. They're also incredibly compact and efficient.
    Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.
  • Image Dynamics. You'll be shocked.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge