Powercords

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
edited October 2013 in Electronics
My HT setup is pretty well fixed with Kimber Kable 8VS bi-wire for my front 3 LSi's, Kimber Hero IC's for my 5 channel amp, and Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables which I have yet to buy.

Now after all that is said and done, I am looking toward upgrading the powercords in that setup, and am curious your thoughts as to brands and specific models.

Below is a list of all the components I have that have a removable powercable.

1. Integra DTR 5.9
2. Pioneer BDP-51FD blu-ray player (connected via HDMI to the Integra)
3. Elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofer (connected to the Integra via a 5m Audioquest Sidewinder IC)
4. Carver M1.0t
5. Potentially my Carver AV-705x (may have it modded to allow for a IEC plug when I have it fixed locally in the near future)
6. APC H15

I am curious as to what powercords folks would recommend for each of those components. I am cheap so I am looking at some of those JellyFish cords DoctorCilantro pointed out in his thread. I am also aware of Doug's powercords, but honestly am not sure what to use where. Some of the other brands I see thrown around a lot are Pangea, Kimber, Cullen Cable, and Audioquest but I dont know what specific models I should be looking at, and some of those brands are a bit out of my price range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. With that said I would like to keep the cost per cord around 75 bucks give or take, and the used market is fine.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Ever gave any thought to making your own? Pepster gave high praise for the CCi wire at Menards and the Schurter IEC from this place
    http://www.revolutionpower.com/c/Connectors+%252F+Plugs+%252F+Receptacles/Schurter/
    with this not much of a sale but if you order anyway its one stop instead of going to local store to pay 2$ more
    http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/Marinco+5266+Straight+Blade+Plug/359/

This is what i used to make mine. The IEC doesn't lock up like a bank vault, but you can either take black tape(pepsters method) with one wrap or use shrink tubing like I did to get it tighter. Mine never fell out just not as tight as i liked.
    That 12ga CCI cable at Menards is like a buck a foot so not out much.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited October 2013
    Options
    This is the powercord that that blew my mind. It's way more than $75 though. Still it can't hurt to look at the web site now can it.
    I now have 3 of his powercords in my system. It took me a year and a half to buy them all. LOL

http://triodewirelabs.com/
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited October 2013
    Options
    PS Audio are the only power cords I will recommend. Competely built from the ground up with proprietary cold welded, hermitically sealed ends which have an iron grip. More importantly, they sound great.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    PS Audio are the only power cords I will recommend. Competely built from the ground up with proprietary cold welded, hermitically sealed ends which have an iron grip. More importantly, they sound great.

And if you ever need to a removable ground pin.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited October 2013
    Options
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    This is the powercord that that blew my mind. It's way more than $75 though. Still it can't hurt to look at the web site now can it.
    I now have 3 of his powercords in my system. It took me a year and a half to buy them all. LOL

http://triodewirelabs.com/

Jesus, those are MIT Shotgun prices... No thanks man.... I could get that Pio SC 67 I want for the price of 3 of those lol....

I will take a look at those Jesse. Any particular model in that line to look at/for?

*edit* the Jewel and AC-3 seem to be within my price point, going to assume the AC-3 is the better buy :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited October 2013
    Options

But do they have the requisite "high end" pedigree? If not, I won't buy them.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Jesus, those are MIT Shotgun prices... No thanks man.... I could get that Pio SC 67 I want for the price of 3 of those lol....

Ok let me tell you that I bought 2 used and one was a Beta cord.

I paid no where near current prices. When I find something
    that works well for me I look for it used and I'm very very patient. :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited October 2013
    Options
    thsmith wrote:
    And if you ever need to a removable ground pin.

LOL...yeah, make sure the damn thing is screwed in tight or you might end up chasing the devil.
    going to assume the AC-3 is the better buy

It's the better cord.
    But do they have the requisite "high end" pedigree?

Not according to Mr. Patel, but he didn't appear to be well informed anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Another PS Audio supporter here. I use the AC-5s. I am very happy with them. They sound great and the build quality is just superb. They (AC-5) are not very pliable. Cable management can sometimes be challenging in my situation.

As a side note, I have a Power Plant Premier. It died on me. I sent it back to PS Audio for repair. It was no longer under warranty. Nonetheless, PS Audio covered the shipping both ways and fixed the unit free of charge.

As a precautionary measure I bought an APC H15 and used that while my PPP was in Boulder being repaired. I am truly not trying to embellish here. I was simply stunned by how much improvement the PPP made when I re-inserted in into my rig after being repaired. So much so that I can see a P5 in my near future.