Who has a tube tester

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,079
edited October 2013 in The Clubhouse
I have a pair of =C= 6L6 power tubes and one is bad. I'm not sure which one. Is anyone capable of testing these so I can eliminate the bad tube?

Thanks

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2013
    Options
    If you cannot find anyone local send it to me
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Might be able to use a VOM depending on the failure.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thanks George, I'll see what other offers I get.

Tracy, not sure how I would do that. The offending tube can't be in the circuit more than a couple minutes. I start to smell the bias resistor (I assume) as it gets hotter and hotter so I am assuming the tube is drawing to much current or perhaps even shorting out. After a couple minutes the tube starts going to static and then eventually that channel no longer passes a musical signal all the while the "hot" smell gets worse.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have one brock. its kind of simple. it will report shorts. it has a health meter. i can send it to you. that way you can check other suspects. its been pretty usefull
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Somehow I would of thought you had one.........