Speaker crossover settings help, please?

hotfist95
hotfist95 Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
Home Theater System
RECEIVER:
Denon AVR-1912
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?CatId=StreamingMedia%28DenonNA%29&PId=AVR1912%28DenonNA%29

FRONT L/R:
TSi100
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tsi100

CENTER:
CS10
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/cs10

SURROUND L/R:
OWM3
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/owm3

SURROUND BACK L/R:
TSi100
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tsi100

SUBWOOFER:
Klipsch Sub-10
http://www.klipsch.com/sub-10-subwoofer/details#specs

I was wondering what the crossovers should be set for all the speakers? The Audyssey has the crossover settings as
Front: 80 Hz
Center: 40 Hz
Surround: 150 Hz
SurrBack: 60 Hz

The sub has a Lowpass (Hz) dial that goes from 40-120.
If someone can help me, I'm trying to find out what are the best settings for the best sound.
Thank you for any help that can be given, I really appreciate it.
Post edited by hotfist95 on

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2013
    Your center is only rated down to 53Hz. Somebody more knowledgeable will chime in but I'd set them all to ~80-100Hz and let the sub take care of below that. Turn the crossover point (the physical one) on the sub all the way up to 120Hz and let the AVR take care of it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • hotfist95
    edited August 2013
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Your center is only rated down to 53Hz. Somebody more knowledgeable will chime in but I'd set them all to ~80-100Hz and let the sub take care of below that. Turn the crossover point (the physical one) on the sub all the way up to 120Hz and let the AVR take care of it.

Thank you so so much for the help. I just want to get the best sound. I am in the military and once a month the guys come over to watch a movie. So I want to give them a good experience.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2013
    80Hz is what most folks find works best, it's also the THX standard.

Welcome to Club Polk and thanks for serving.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2013
    F1nut wrote: »

Welcome to Club Polk and thanks for serving.

+1. With your set-up and for watching movies, this should be very good. Audyssey can be a little quirky. I'd also check what your channel levels (each speaker) are set at and report back to the forum. Thanks for your service and enjoy the system.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • hotfist95
    edited August 2013
    Channel Levels /Crossover
    CENTER: +1.0db /40hz
    FRONT L: -1.5db /80hz
    FRONT R: +0.5db /80hz
    SURR R: -0.5db /150hz
    SURR L: -1.5db /150hz
    S. BACK R: +1.0db /60hz
    S. BACK L: +2.5db /60hz
    SUBWOOFER: -7.0db /crossover set to 120hz
    With this setting I have to turn the volume to -16db to get a good sounds from everything. The volume goes from lowest to highest -80db to +12db and I have to put it at -16db to get a good movie sound.

My new setting:
    Channel Levels /Crossover
    CENTER: +2.5db /80hz
    FRONT L: +3.5db /80hz
    FRONT R: 3.0db /80hz
    SURR R: +2.5db /120hz
    SURR L: +4.5db /120hz
    S. BACK R: +4.0db /80hz
    S. BACK L: +5.5db /80hz
    SUBWOOFER: -3.0db /crossover set to 120hz

With this setting I have to turn the volume to -36db to get a good sounds from everything. The volume goes from lowest to highest -80db to +12db and I have to put it at -36db to get a good movie sound which is pretty good.What do you think of this. Thank you once again everyone.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2013
    Not bad, hard for us to say exactly because each room and set of ears is different but you are in the ball park for sure. I might turn that sub level up to 0 and see how you like it. The fronts seem bumped up too much for small speakers, maybe try around 0 or plus 1, give or take a couple on the plus side or negative, what ever it takes to balance the sound from your listening position. How big of a room is this in anyway ? Incidentally, not all that volume dial is going to be usable. The + side of that dial definitely not and getting close to the 0 mark is danger territory too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited August 2013
    hotfist95 wrote: »
    Thank you so so much for the help. I just want to get the best sound. I am in the military and once a month the guys come over to watch a movie. So I want to give them a good experience.
    Thank you and your friends for their service in the military. I wanted to ask if you or someone you know has a db meter? (I bought one from Radio Shack years ago) . It makes setting up your system so much easier to get a nice even sound. Also, very important that you double check the speaker distances in your avr settings , I have a Yamaha avr with Ypao and it's also quirky about doing the auto settings. Hope we can help you along on this sir.
  • hotfist95
    edited August 2013
    I am sorry the room size is 18 x 18 ft and we can get a db meter from work. Just to make sure all the sounds are supposed to measure out the same.
  • romediggy
    romediggy Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I also wanted to know what to set my crossover points. My Avr is Denon 1913. Speakers are Polk audio tl150. Sub is Polk audio psw10. I have the center channel at 100Hz. Fronts at 150Hz. Surrounds at 120Hz.
  • tonyb
    edited September 2013
    hotfist95 wrote: »
    I am sorry the room size is 18 x 18 ft and we can get a db meter from work. Just to make sure all the sounds are supposed to measure out the same.

Pretty good sized room for smallish speakers my friend. It may sound somewhat thin or drowned out in that big of a room.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited September 2013
    F1nut wrote: »

Even the fronts? (left and Right).

I was under the impression that one of the advantages of separates, was getting an amp with enough power to push lower tones out of all the speakers. YPAO sets all my speakers except the rear surrounds to "large", but that's probably a different discussion.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited September 2013
    BC, YPAO does that on my 663 too, just go into the avr settings and change all speaker sizes to small and crossover setting to 80hz, let the sub do they heavy lifting. Did you have the crossover knob on your HSU sub turned to the max before running YPAO?
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited September 2013
    I have the sub's crossover set to external (e.g. the AVR does it). YPAO consistently gives me the W-3 level error ("significant volume differences between speakers") so the gain on the sub is probably only about 30-40%.

I guess I just figured with the B&K amp, I could push the fronts a bit harder with bass and have left them at "large".
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • pretzelfisch
    pretzelfisch Posts: 160
    edited September 2013
    if the speakers are large ypao turns the sub off. you would have to set extra bass on. But then it may sound odd, but it doesn't hurt to try.
  • Man I'm confused a bit. I have a Denon 510 BT receiver 5.1. Running Polk T50 fronts, T30 center, and T15 for surround. Yamaha YST SW012 sub. While audio is routed through recever for TV, I'm really more into cranking it up to thump some classic rock. I make my song selections through YouTube and always play a song thats in HQ or been remastered for best quality. I just want to get the most out of each speaker. Current crossovers are Front 40Hz, Center 60 Hz, and surround at 60Hz. Sub is at 110 Hz. Any advice?
  • Hey emaw4ever, You've got main speakers that can carry a fair amount of low-end, and a fairly modest entry level sub. I think your sub crossover is set too high. 110Hz would be more appropriate if you were running satellites as your main speakers. I'd try turning that sub crossover down to the 50-60 Hz range; that'll let you turn the gain on the sub up fairly high without sounding super boomy and artificial. I think. Your mileage/ears/taste in music may vary. Let me know how it sounds to you.
  • tonyb
    em,

Speakers set to small, crossover at 80 in the receiver. Turn the crossover on the sub to it's highest value. Reason being is you don't want 2 crossovers doing the same thing, double filtering.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's