Amp's recommended for A9's

Options
CinderLyon
CinderLyon Posts: 108
edited August 2013 in Electronics
What brands of amp's are suggested in the $1000 range that will drive a pair of A9's
Fronts: Polk RTiA9
Center: Polk CSiA4
Sides: Polk F/XiA6
Rears: Polk RtiA3
Sub:Polk DSWPRO 660wi

extras: 2x JBL Monitor 4206

AVR: Marantz Cinema 50
Amp: Hypex UcD400 Class D, 2 Channels
Power Conditioner: Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console pf60
Many different streamers, Heos, firestick, apple
Post edited by CinderLyon on

Comments

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Parasound, Rotel, Adcom. Pick something with 200wpc minimum.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I see you already have a GFA-555 Adcom amp in your list of gear. Is it really not enough? Start looking high power Class D amps then with your budget if you need more.

I ran a Carver TFM-42 on my A9's when I owned them and that was MORE than enough power (375wRMS/ch).

B&K amps synergize well with A9's too.
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Out of those 5 amp brands given you can't really go wrong, they should all get the job done and sound great. If it's 100% home theater use i'd throw Emotiva in there too, but don't want to get your thread shut down :biggrin:
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I can speak for parasound's,, they came highly recommended from this forum. I have a 2250 myself. Also I spoke with Parasound's Richard Schram, who spoke very highly of pairing it with my 12's which are almost identical to your 9's. Also, you could check on parasound hca-3500. They can usually be had not far out of your price range and PLENTY pf power! 120 amps/ch and 350wpc. I have toyed with switching to one myself. My .02 for ya.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2013
    Options
  • CinderLyon
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Not really sure. Value is first concern. Music and HT use 50:50 I do not even think I am in the market but i thought i would ask around and start doing some research. I am pretty happy with my Adcom atm. My Adcom is 20 years old now. Have things changed all the much?

• CinderLyon
    edited July 2013
    Options
    i just made a lowball bid for a gfa 555 amp on a bidding site. I figure if one is good two will be better :)

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2013
    Options
    CinderLyon wrote: »
    i just made a lowball bid for a gfa 555 amp on a bidding site. I figure if one is good two will be better :)

You may disagree with that statement once you hear the result. IIRC, the Adcoms never faired well when bridged. If that's what you want, buy a proper pair of monoblocks.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2013
    Options
    DUDE...EVERYTHING Changes in a second..let alone twenty years...PEACE!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You are worried about something happening to your 20 year old amp so went out and bought another just as old???:eek::confused:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't know how less or more effcient those A9s are compared to my 2bs but w/ my Adcom 555 at 12 pos on the pre it's scarey loud and do not want blow these up.It's a very clean powerful amp and should be enough to push those A9s
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Actually the RTi-12s/A9s respond very well to biamping (not running bridged, but vertical passive biamping). I used to own a pair of RTi-12s and they never sounded as good as they did when biamped coincidently with GFA-555s. The bass is astounding. The A9s will take everything two 555s will give them and then some. If you end up winning the auction, you will like the results, just make sure you use the same brand, type, and length of speaker cables and ICs with each amp.

Having said all of that, the others have brought up some legitimate concerns. The 555s are getting a little long in the tooth and the caps are known to leak and go bad over time. If the caps haven't been updated in the amps, I would strongly consider doing so.

The other thing is neither the 555s or A9s are known for being warm sounding. The combination of the two is a little bright to my ears. Ymmv however, it's I personal thing. I personally think A9s pair well with warmer sounding amps like B&K or Parasound. Again ymmv.
  • CinderLyon
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Well I am trying to seek justification for replacing my amp i suppose. It works. it works darn well. It has as much volume as I would ever need. It is getting old. I have not replace the capacitors. It is not leaking. It or the combo is a bit over the top on bright on some music.
    I am wondering what a new amp really buys me. It does not help to say dude everything has changed. A little more specificity would be helpful. What types of amps do folks like to use. Put all my money into Strong 2 speaker. or strong 3 speaker. I know everyone has their own particular take on this...

It will be a month before i even do this so lots of research. I am leaning towards just waiting till my amp dies.

And I lost the bid. :)

• sagasa
    sagasa Posts: 127
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I will recommend Emotiva XPR 2 your A9 will love it. If you want to hear your speakers full potential this is the
    Amp. I did it to my Rti12 the result was amazing. I use mine more on home theater that is where this speakers
    Shine..
    Front: Tekton Pendragon
    Center: Tekton Pendragon
    Surr.: Fxi5
    Umc1
    Xpr-2
    Xpa-3
    Xda-2
    Erc-3
    Xsp-1
    Vtf-2 Mk3 x 2
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I use a Yamaha P2500S. It can be obtained for around $400 and I had zero risk in evaluating it since GC has a 30 day return policy. It replaced my Marantz Mono-blocks. Really allowed the Lsi 9's to open up
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Another option (and the one I would recommend) is running a tube pre with Ht pass-through (like an Anthem PRE-2L). This will allow you to keep your current set-up for HT, but also use a dedicated tube pre for two channel music listening. The tube pre will go a long ways towards taming the brightness( especially running warmer sounding tubes) and will be light years better for music. It really gives you the best of both worlds, far better two channel performance while retaining your ht setup.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I would say parasound halo series. I have one driving rti a9s and it does a great job.
  • GFOviedo
    GFOviedo Posts: 352
    edited July 2013
    Options
    sagasa wrote: »
    I will recommend Emotiva XPR 2 your A9 will love it. If you want to hear your speakers full potential this is the
    Amp. I did it to my Rti12 the result was amazing. I use mine more on home theater that is where this speakers
    Shine..

I was also going to suggest Emotiva. They seem to be the best bang for your $$$.
    AVR: DENON X4000
    FRONT L/R: ARX A3RX-C
    CENTER: ARX A2RX-C
    SURROUND L/R: ARX A3
    SUBWOOFER: PSA-XV15

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: VIZIO M601D-A3R
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Used is best bang for your buck, actually. Emotiva is just one of many brands. Personally I think they look good and have a good price. A used Rotel or Parasound might be better however.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2013
    Options
    With RTI's, you'll want an amp on the warmer side of neutral. B&K, Parrasound fit that bill and are more musical than some other bargain brands. Certainly there are no shortage of amps to try, but the 2 I mentioned will put a grin on your face not easily removed for years to come.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Used is definitely the best bang/buck ratio if you're patient. I'd go the monoblock route if it were my money... or maybe a Parasound HCA-2200. Plenty of options under a grand. Best thing about used is you can usually sell them for about what you paid, again, if you're patient.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • 4xoddic
    4xoddic Posts: 372
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I've read many of the posts on this forum re: RTia9s. In 2009, I began with Polk RTia9 X 4, CSi5 & FXi6 X 2 powered by a Pioneer SC-07 (140 W x 7).

After the many posts re:external amp bringing the a9s alive; I read too much & convinced myself to go that route. In Sept. 2012, I installed a QSC GX7 pro amp, with the main a9s @ getting 740 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms. Note: there is some skepticism that the GX7 could actually be putting out 740 Watts RMS. All I know is that the result has made 2 channel listening much more enjoyable = seeming to tame some of the "brightness."
  • CinderLyon
    edited August 2013
    Options
    4xoddic wrote: »
    I've read many of the posts on this forum re: RTia9s. In 2009, I began with Polk RTia9 X 4, CSi5 & FXi6 X 2 powered by a Pioneer SC-07 (140 W x 7).

After the many posts re:external amp bringing the a9s alive; I read too much & convinced myself to go that route. In Sept. 2012, I installed a QSC GX7 pro amp, with the main a9s @ getting 740 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms. Note: there is some skepticism that the GX7 could actually be putting out 740 Watts RMS. All I know is that the result has made 2 channel listening much more enjoyable = seeming to tame some of the "brightness."

well that amp is certainly affordable. Makes me wonder why some amps are so darn expensive.

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I'd snag up 2x XPA-1 amps.. can be found cheaper second hand for around $1200 a pair. Or go with a XPR-5.

Another choice is with 2x XPA-2s running in bridge mode (single speaker). Would be 500 watts ea amp bridged.

If I had it all to do over again i'd grab 2 XPA-1s.

http://shop.emotiva.com/

They just had there summer sale and the XPR-5 was around $1700 I believe with the XPA-1s around $800 ea.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited August 2013
    Options
    FWIW, Parasound HCA-3500's can be had for $12-1500. I just picked up mine in near mint condition for $1400 shipped. They have larger power supplies than the Emo's too, which I'm told is a good thing. So far I'm amazed at what it's done for the A9's It's more of everything that is good about them and they're a lot less bright and harsh to listen to at volumes compared to the last amp, Parasound HCA-2003.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• CinderLyon
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Well 10 years later my adcom power amp decided to start making a discernable low level buzzing sound that sort of cycles; In a quiet room it is noticeable.

So now it seems like replacement time.

Anything new folks might suggest given it has been 10 years since my original post?

I have noticed that my a9's get kinda muddy when full orchestras are playing loud all at once. Mostly they are amazing.

And i switched to a Denon 3600 AVR (has preouts), set up in dolby atmos 11.1 a long while ago. I tried a couple onkyo but they kept breaking.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I would suggest something warmer like a parasound or B&K reference. A parasound hca-1500 or A21 would be awesome.

If you want to really step up your game, try the musical fidelity A308CR that TMR is selling right now: I have the integrated and it’s by far the best amp I’ve ever owned…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    You won’t get one for 1k but a WOPL 700 would be the ticket.
    And, it’ll be bullet-proof with a lifetime warranty….
  • CinderLyon
    Options
    The wopl is pretty nice to look at. Right now I am currently leaning on a new Parasound Model 2250 v.2 Two Channel Power Amplifier, $1500 free shipping (to hawaii), and 2 year warranty.

Still researching. I looked as some used gear but really dont like the 90 day warranties, especially since shipping here can be rough.

Waiting to pull the trigger on the 10th. (prime day)

• Brelvis
    Options
    Had to double check the start date for this thread! I am still running a pair of Rti10s with, up until last week, a B&K REF7250. My B&K started popping and I could see sparks coming off one of the capacitors so I think it's time has come. I've been trying to find someone who can repair my B&K as I really love it but have been unable to find a repair shop in the Dallas area.

Back to the subject, not sure what your price range is but I have been looking at the Emotiva XAP Gen 3 and some of the ATI offerings since ATI purchased B&K way back. There is also Monoprice who have their own line of class AB amplifiers made by ATI. These are all reasonably priced amps which are new with good warranties.