Why not try it?

Unknown
edited July 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
To make your own IC's?:eek:
A little cleaning, flux here, flux there, tin, and solder.
Clean and seal!
How hard is that, you let your iron do the work!

Not much too it, few tools come in handy, and the payoff is "OFF THE HOOK"!:biggrin:

These are crazy good for the money!

Finished listening to these today, (I've heard a few).
Really, really a good idea to build a pair of these for a "Grant" $50 for a pair (when you buy 25 foot), that includes the rca's, and you will have quiet a bit of this wire left over.

I used Furutech rca plugs in this case.

Just talking about them to another member today, very good and very surprising (sleepers) for the money.

4 wire braid adds some Capacitance to this wire (which is very low capacitance to start with, ie: clean top end).
The 4 wire braid is not hard at all, plenty of info on the net.

I used Mogami 2549 (22ga Negflex x 2) and stock, it is encased in a full "spiral" shield, and outer sheath, which by the way, lessens the dynamics, and makes the top end "softer" as a result of the factory shielding and sheath.

Take the Negflex wires out of it encasement and braid it, eliminating crosstalk, and most interference, you get a shockingly good IC for the money:eek:, not the best, but we are talking about $50.
It will compete, and beat in most cases, a number of more expensive interconnects, for the money spent.

Unreal dynamics!
VERY DEEP, detailed bass.
Great detail/mids/topend you name it!
Again, not the best, but will compete in the $100-$125 range of "Famous" BS Snake oil cables!
Prolly the best HT IC's you could possibly want, and VERY good for 2 ch which is how I listened to them.

This is only the 3rd pair I have ever made (braided), and all have exceeded my expectations!

DSCN2582_zpsdb731d3c.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited June 2013
    That is a solid braid. Very nice! Good job!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2013
    Well, I learned a lesson on the first couple of pair, you do NOT want to braid them too tight.
    I could have braided the above alot tighter, but firstly I think they may sound alittle bit (minor) better loose.

Secondly, they get pretty stiff when braided tight.

Example A:cheesygrin::

DSCN2558_zps5de2abd4.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited July 2013
    Completely agree! Or like me, buy a 100ft roll of IC on clearance and make anything you and your friends/family need.
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    I made a 2.5 foot pair today using super cheap 20 ga. solid core magnet wire.
    2 runs of the 20 ga. along with 2 runs of pure cotton unbleached cotton yarn for filler (super, super cheap to make considering the performance!:cheesygrin:), and 1/2 length drain wire on 1 side only (source side).
    It is just crazy nuts how good of IC's you can make under $50 (This set cost around $40/pr, and that includes 50 feet of the magnet wire and the Onix OFC plugs!).
    Just simply a killer set of IC's for next to nothing, its a beautiful thing!
    ONIX-70024 OFC-RCA Male, gold-plated OFC Copper (center pin) RCA Male Plug, Per Pair

ONIX-70024.JPG
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    I think I will send them to Chumlie to try out...........like Mikey.......he'll try anything!:lol:
    They are awesome for the money, and you would have to pay a lot more to equal what these offer for the money!:cool:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited July 2013
    I concur. :biggrin:
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    :redface:
    Oops, double post somehow?:redface:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    chumlie wrote: »
    I concur. :biggrin:

I will burn these babies in a while and send them too ya "Sir Charles"!
    Expect them within a week!

Me thinks you will like the solid core!
    Nobody else is expecting these, so take your time.:cheesygrin:
    Maybe send them to Rick when your done?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited July 2013
    Mm K. Lookin forward to em. You da man Paul.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    edited July 2013
    I do like green eggs and ham Sam I am!!!!

I made a set of IC's yesterday morning using 4 strands of Teflon insulated 30ga silver wire. I went online and found a tutorial on how to do a Litz style 4 wire braid, and ended up with a set of 1 Meter IC's. The best part was that my 9yo daughter saw me braiding the wire and asked if she could try. She did a better job than me, so now I need another set of RCA jacks for her cables! I replaced an old set of simple Mogammi coax IC's with the braided IC's, and I can't believe how much better the system sounds! The Mogammi IC's were apparently killing the detail in the music across the board! I'm hearing details in the music that I've never heard before! Thanks for the suggestion! I'm thinking about replacing the stock RCA cable on my Technics SL1200 TT with a set of these! I can only imagine what that will do for the sound!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • sk88
    sk88 Posts: 158
    edited July 2013
    I've seen enough discussions between copper vs. silver, so this is not an intent to add more. However, I am curious about the difference you hear between your new silver litz cable and the old mogammi coax. Could you tell us what are the two devices that the IC connects to? Could it be possbile that the old cable was loose or may have become "dirty" while the new cable is not? What kind of mogammi cable it is (there should be a number on the cable)?
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited July 2013
    Although I can solder I like using Canare L-5CFB and the Canare RCA's. It runs with pretty good cables in my book.
  • newbie308
    edited July 2013
    The Mogami cable is 2964 75ohm hi definition audio/video cable. The RCA plugs are the same gold plated copper on both cables as is the 4% silver bearing solder. I have to admit that I was not expecting much with the new IC's, but even my wife noticed the improvement, and without prompting no less. She just happened to walk in as I cued up Led Zeppelin I and she asked if I changed something because it just sounded better. The IC's are connecting the tape monitor output of my Dynaco PAS2 preamp to the AUX input of my EL34 tube integrated. As I mentioned earlier, the source is a Technics SL1200 MKII with a Grado Blue cartridge. The Dynaco is being used as a phono stage until I find a suitable replacement.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • sk88
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I have heard that mogami 2534 is good in interference shielding (due to its higher resistance) and it makes sound softer by losing some high end frequency (due to its higher capacitance) when length is longer than 6ft. Many professionals use it for mic cables. However, I have no knowledge about 2964. It has low capacitance so should be good for high frequencies and many use it on digital connections such as spdif.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    I have all 3 Mogami mentioned (2549,2534,and 2964) on hand here and have used all 3 many times (I like Mogami for the money).

My goal with this thread was to offer some great combinations for the DIY guys that might want to build their own.
    Trying to keep the price under $50/ pr yet still offer excellent performance above most run of the mill cables (cheap coax being some of those "run of the mill").

I can assure it can be done, as far as performance way beyond your typical "coax" cable (speekskater is going to going to eat me alive).:wink:

That said the two I mentioned will far exceed most standard coax designs as far as dynamics, detail, and "Prat" as much as a cheap cable can, and naturally it is dependent on what you are using them for.

The Straightwire silver 23 would be another really good choice for under $50 mated with the cheap Furutech rca plugs as well (excellent digital cable also for the $).

I rarely make "Cheaper" cables, but I wanted to push the envelope in this price range, and have been surprised with the results, considering the money involved.

I prefer the high end designs with better components myself, but within an hour or two, one can make a very impressive set of IC's for next to nothing, and making them and knowing you built them is most of the fun.

I think the Magnet wire with the Onix rca plugs might just be the best choice of the types I have offered in this thread (for $50 and under).

Pretty stellar set of IC's for around $40, I have been listening to them the last several days, pretty impressive.:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I do like green eggs and ham Sam I am!!!!

I made a set of IC's yesterday morning using 4 strands of Teflon insulated 30ga silver wire. I went online and found a tutorial on how to do a Litz style 4 wire braid, and ended up with a set of 1 Meter IC's. The best part was that my 9yo daughter saw me braiding the wire and asked if she could try. She did a better job than me, so now I need another set of RCA jacks for her cables! I replaced an old set of simple Mogammi coax IC's with the braided IC's, and I can't believe how much better the system sounds! The Mogammi IC's were apparently killing the detail in the music across the board! I'm hearing details in the music that I've never heard before! Thanks for the suggestion! I'm thinking about replacing the stock RCA cable on my Technics SL1200 TT with a set of these! I can only imagine what that will do for the sound!

I think you are going to have a hard time beating them for the money!

Congrats man!:cheesygrin:

Keep in mind the better rca plugs you use the better the sound.

That said, it is hard to stay under $50 for a pair of IC's with decent "parts", but even in this price range you are going to get ALOT more for your money than even buying "Top Name" used IC's (for the same price).

Give em 100 hours and I think you will be even more impressed (especially if it is solid core).

IMHO, silver takes alittle longer than copper to "settle in".

My favorite is actually a combination of silver and copper solid core (Jim Patrick taught me, the man behind "MusicMetre" now retired), different awgs for each, teflon with some good rca plugs.
    Insulating your own wire offers you many choices of insulation, and is my preferred method for my own cables.
    Bare 6N OCC copper or silver, and all options are available for insulation, cotton, silk, Teflon, ect, sky is the limit when you build from scratch, depending on what you are looking to achieve.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited July 2013
    The Mogami cable #2964 is a small diameter co-ax cable suitable for RCA interconnects. (Note the small diameter)

The Mogami cable #2534 is a 4 conductor shielded (Star-Cross) cable suitable for XLR balanced interconnects. This cable is optimized for use in high interference areas.
    It is not for RCA interconnects.
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    The Mogami cable #2964 is a small diameter co-ax cable suitable for RCA interconnects. (Note the small diameter)

The Mogami cable #2534 is a 4 conductor shielded (Star-Cross) cable suitable for XLR balanced interconnects. This cable is optimized for use in high interference areas.
    It is not for RCA interconnects.

Have you done a Google search Speedskater?
    Unreal the amount of people who would disagree with you.

Imagine that!
    (Star-Cross)

Actually it is a "Star Quad".:cheesygrin:

You may want to at least learn the nomenclature before commenting.:eek:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sk88
    edited July 2013
    Sorry, what is the solid core magnet wire mentioned above?
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    sk88 wrote: »
    Sorry, what is the solid core magnet wire mentioned above?

I used 20 ga. magnet wire in this instance.
    You could easily drop down to 24 ga and be happy, but I can assure you, I have never heard better bass than the 20 ga solid core magnet wire!
    In your chest/gut!

Excellent wire!
    It is enamel insulated, so all you do is remove the enamel before soldering.

It is pretty pure solid core copper wire designed for electric motors, and probably in your Inductors in your speakers as I type this!

Not the purest copper, but better than most, and combined with the OFC center pin of the ONIX rca plugs, makes for a fantastic IC!

Personally, I think you gain alot from "solid core" wire if used right.

Depends on the design (and there are many).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    It is pretty pure solid core copper wire designed for electric motors, and probably in your Inductors in your speakers as I type this!

And all transformers in your system!:lol:

CDP, PRE, AMP......ect!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    Well, you inspired me Newbie!
    Did a little braiding myself this evening.
    5N OCC solid core pure silver.

We shall see how it goes!:cheesygrin:

I have used pure silver before, but not braided.

This is actually a 4 wire braid even though it looks like a 3 wire braid!:cheesygrin:
    28 ga Teflon insulated pure silver!

DSCN2584_zpsc0b2a585.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    How to decide which RCA plug?:redface:

I gots tons!

There are 1.38749 MILLION COMBINATIONS of wire, insulation and rca plugs!:lol:
    Just go with my gut I rekon!:redface:

I have made a few in the past.:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited July 2013
    pepster wrote: »
    Have you done a Google search Speedskater?
    Unreal the amount of people who would disagree with you.

Imagine that!

I even made some RCA interconnects, maybe 20 years ago. With guess what? Mogami 2534 cable! But that was long before I knew better. I have since re-purposed the longer lengths into proper balanced interconnects.

[/QUOTE]Actually it is a "Star Quad".:cheesygrin:

You may want to at least learn the nomenclature before commenting.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Your are correct it is "Star Quad".
    If that's the biggest typo I make this week, I'll be happy.
  • newbie308
    edited July 2013
    How to decide which RCA plug?:redface:

I gots tons!

There are 1.38749 MILLION COMBINATIONS of wire, insulation and rca plugs!:lol:
    Just go with my gut I rekon!:redface:

I have made a few in the past.:cheesygrin:

You are definitely more skilled at braiding than I am, but with time and a lot of practice my IC's will eventually start to look better. I used the silver wire because I had it on hand from an old project. I definitely want to try a set of copper braided IC's and then maybe a set of silver and copper. This is fun, and it gives me something to do while hiding from that evil oppressively HOT Sun! I don't have any good local sources for RCA plugs, but I'd like to try some of better quality! I take it you like Furutech? Who is a stocking distributor?

My daughter suggested one potato two potato to decide on which RCA's you should use! Ha Ha! What do you want? She's 9!
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    What do you want? She's 9!
    :cheesygrin:
    LOL!
    That is so cool, you know she will be in her 30's and recall what you were listing too in the house!

I do, Kenny Rogers was the biggest in my house, my mom was in LOVE at that time!:lol:

But it is funny, as you get older, and a certain song sparks a memory of a certain time.:eek:

THAT is what keeps you in this hobby!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    but with time and a lot of practice my IC's will eventually start to look better.

Absolutely, will NOT be long!

Keep me in mind if you need any help!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sbrownnw
    sbrownnw Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    @pepster, I use mogami 2549 with some neutrik pro-fi interconnects and they sound quite good for the price. Your cables look great and I would like to try the mogami with the shield off plus with some onix 70024 rca plugs. If I was willing to pay you, how much would you charge to put some of these together for me?

TIA,

Scott
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited July 2014
    Pepster is long gone....
  • deafbykhorns
    deafbykhorns Posts: 150
    edited July 2014
    I used 20 ga. magnet wire in this instance.
    You could easily drop down to 24 ga and be happy, but I can assure you, I have never heard better bass than the 20 ga solid core magnet wire!
    In your chest/gut!

Excellent wire!
    It is enamel insulated, so all you do is remove the enamel before soldering.

Not the purest copper, but better than most, and combined with the OFC center pin of the ONIX rca plugs, makes for a fantastic IC!

Personally, I think you gain alot from "solid core" wire if used right.

Depends on the design (and there are many).

I've been using this combination for years and found the bass to be excellent. I have used the cotton and teflon insulation with loose wraps (1 per 3"). I prefer these over some of the exotic cables owned over the years.
    Main System- Scratch built 2A3 , Lightspeed preamp, Technics SP15/Graham/XV1s,Klipschorns w/ALK xovers/Trachorns, Speakercraft MT8(4), Sonos ZP90, Yamaha Aventage for surround
    Office System- Adcom GTP500, Bedini 45/45,Lexicon RT-20,Enlightened Audio DAC, Polk SDA2.3TL, Northcreek Borealis