I'm fed up and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited June 2013 in The Clubhouse
So this isnt a thread about cables, amps, or even audio. Its about me admitting something that I finally can no longer ignore and must come to terms with. I got FAT. This admission doesn’t mean I am obese large, but that I have gotten bigger than I feel comfortable with and I need to do something about it before it becomes a serious problem. Clothes that used to be super loose are now beyond tight, I am not happy with what I see in the mirror body image wise, and it’s time for me to do something about it. Lot of it is probably due to the Prednisone I am finally done with today, but I need to go ahead and make some changes regardless as I am not as active as I used to be. I won’t post what my weight is because it’s not so much the number that matters but how it sits on me, and that I know lots of it is water weight, or just plain fat from being lazy and non mobile.

I have started the first few steps of what I hope to be a continuing life change. I thought I would start this thread to both share easy things I am doing to curb my weight, and maybe connect with any of you currently doing similar things to bounce idea’s, recipe’s, etc off of.

Currently, I have downloaded two apps for my iPhone, myfitnesspal and runtastic to help me track my calories eaten and burned through exercise. I am sure there are many more apps out that that are similar and maybe even better, but these are the two people at work are using and they are both free (but have paid versions if you want more than just what I use)

MyFitnessPal is basically a calorie calculator and its nice because you can scan in barcodes of items to add to your daily list of food you have eaten. You also can search for items and pull them in so you don’t have to do too much work figuring out how to list your calories. It does lots more but I haven’t gotten too deep into it just yet. You also can connect to other users using the app to kinda get a community going. If you are interested in getting my user information to link your info to mine let me know.

Runtastic is basically a program that helps tries to figure out how many calories you have burnt doing different activities. It will use your GPS to calculate average mph on a run, calories burnt, total time, etc. What I really like about it though is that it can sync the calorie information into MyFitnessPal so you can see what your total net calorie count is after subtracting your exercise calories.

As to how accurate either of these apps are I cant tell you but they help you at least gauge where you are as opposed to just eating what you want and hoping your not over your calories.

Here are the things I am doing to put these two apps to work.

I have started to grill out as much as I can on my charcoal grill and have been grilling low fat chicken tenders and lean beef. I am grilling out because I enjoy cooking on the grill, it saves me from picking up fast food and is just more healthy overall. That and honestly I dont enjoy actually cooking with a recipe as much as making my own marinades, and there is something about the sound of the sizzle on the grill and the smoke hitting you in the face from the grill that I LOVE. I have cut out my normal morning energy drink which was a waste of calories and just replaced it with drinking a additional Diet MD. I would like to try and cut down on my Diet MD intake, but it doesn’t make a difference calorie wise so I am not making it a top priority right now. I realized Diet MD isnt a great thing to drink as diet soda is still not as good as water, but I will deal with that later. I am also trying to cut down on my snacking between meals. This is hard for me as I am a grazer by nature. Also my wife gets off work 2 hours later than I do and has a hour commute home so normally we are sitting down to eat about 8:00 or 8:30 if traffic is bad. I have started eating grapes as snacks as well as carrots. My wife has gotten cherries but I am not normally a huge fan of them, but will give them a go. I will probably have her pick up some apples as well.

My wife and I have started taking walks after dinner each night with the baby. We normally walk about 2-3 miles and burn about 300 calories right now. I would like to try to at some point start running with Skye to burn additional calories and possibly add lifting weights into the mix. With that said I want to start slow and really not overdo it and then give up, so I am starting with just walking.

My goal is each day to have a 1400 calorie intake at the end of each day. According to MyFitnessPal that should net me 2 lbs weight loss a week. I would love it if I could lose more than that a week, but I realize this is not “The Biggest Loser” and I have an actual job and responsibilities during the day that take a priority over things like working out. My total weight loss goal is about 40 lbs before I start to attempt to just maintain my existing weight. I am ok if it takes 6 months to even a year to get there. I know its going to be easier in summer to lose weight due to the ability to take walks which in the winter I no longer have, and will deal with that when the time comes.

So any tips/hints/low calorie snacks, food, etc suggestions you can give me are welcomed. Feel free to share your stories, etc. I know Lasereath has lost a LOT of weight over a bunch of years on this forum so hopefully he can weigh in here with some idea’s.

And if you haven't figured it out already, the thread title is a play on what the subject of this post is :cheesygrin:
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Good for you. You don't like what you see in the mirror, and you want to do something about it. You're half way home with that attitude. For me, it was all about evenings. Cutting back (out, actually) ice cream and other non essentials in the evenings made a world of difference, still eat about the same through the day. Good luck bro :smile:

Bill
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I like the feisty attitude, Dan.

I'm right there with ya...put on a little extra myself over the last five years. Biggest problem for me I guarantee is the micro-brews. Not quite ready to give those up yet, but maybe you'll inspire me :wink:
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Remember eat to live don't live to eat. Swimming, and riding Bikes are the best exercise, running is good but takes a toll on the knees. I love to grill kebobs with zucchini with cherry tomatoes onion and chunks of venison steaks, all veggies are from the garden, grilled salmon steaks are tasty, wrap fresh veggies in tinfoil and cook on the grill,

As far as that morning pick me up skip the energy drinks and drink one of those little bottles of 5 hour energy. There is no better feeling than a 20 mile bike ride it invigorates the body and mind. Keep at it, an iPod full of good tunes makes for a good time while walking or biking, take ol fido out for a walk. I wish you luck on your weight loss regimens.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I like the feisty attitude, Dan.

I'm right there with ya...put on a little extra myself over the last five years. Biggest problem for me I guarantee is the micro-brews. Not quite ready to give those up yet, but maybe you'll inspire me :wink:

I don't plan to give up everything, but without having a gauge of where you are so you don't consistently overdo it, its easy to gain. I plan to give myself one day a week I can go over my calorie count because if you can't live a little you end up blowing it big and then just giving up.

MyFitnessPal allows you to set a goal of x amount of weight per week. You can pick 1/2 a lb or if you just want to maintain you can pick that as well. If nothing else it can give you a idea of how bad a week you've had so you know if you should go with just 1 or 2 microbrew's, or if you've had a really good week and can really go hog wild.

So I am by no means saying give up things, but portion control, and keeping an eye on where you are on a weekly basis so you can make sure your not always overdoing it are a great way to start :biggrin:.

Drink a micro brew for me (I dont drink at all as with inflamation in your insides its a bad idea) so its not hard to give that up. Hard and Chewy Candy are my vices along with Diet MD. Got some gummy bears in the kitchen givin me the eye as we speak. Gonna let em live to fight another day thought.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I agree with gudnoyez, get on a bike and roll some miles. Works for me
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited June 2013
    Options
    That's your problem don't bring gummie bears, cookies, and junk food in the house, if its not there you won't eat it as far as the brewskis go that's hard. I love to sit in the sweet spot when listening to tunes, a six pack is usually required. But the next day I go riding to burn it off. In the winter time I will take the grand kids sledding or walk the dogs for long ones to help make up for the brew intake.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

As far as that morning pick me up skip the energy drinks and drink one of those little bottles of 5 hour energy. There is no better feeling than a 20 mile bike ride it invigorates the body and mind. Keep at it, an iPod full of good tunes makes for a good time while walking or biking, take ol fido out for a walk. I wish you luck on your weight loss regimens.

Yeah, looking at buying a bike and putting a baby seat on it so when I get home I can put in some miles before the wife gets home.

We have lots of biking trails around so its something I may do eventually.

Thanks for the food suggestions may give em a try.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Oh and the energy drink isn't really to wake up. I can't drink OJ due to how my body reacts to it. The energy drink I drink tastes like a combo of diet md and orange juice. It's called Shockwave. So I will just not stop at the gas station and get it.

As far as candy I will finish what I have and not get anymore but you gotta live a little too so I will try to eat candy in moderation.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm right there with ya bud! I reached a point about where I couldn't believe what I was staring at in the mirror. My clothes weren't fitting right and I jumped up another waist size. So I started working out at CrossFit about a month and a half ago 2-3 times a week. I'm not sure if CrossFit is a socal thing or nationwide, but there methodology is great. I'm only now just starting to focus on the diet part, but my cardio is better and I'm stronger than I've ever been. It's a great feeling.

I don't know if this helps, but my main focus is not necessarily worrying about cutting foods, but rather incorporating BETTER foods (fresh organic veggies veggies veggies!). Eventually, the body just starts wanting the good stuff. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm right there with ya bud! I reached a point about where I couldn't believe what I was staring at in the mirror. My clothes weren't fitting right and I jumped up another waist size. So I started working out at CrossFit about a month and a half ago 2-3 times a week. I'm not sure if CrossFit is a socal thing or nationwide, but there methodology is great. I'm only now just starting to focus on the diet part, but my cardio is better and I'm stronger than I've ever been. It's a great feeling.

I don't know if this helps, but my main focus is not necessarily worrying about cutting foods, but rather incorporating BETTER foods (fresh organic veggies veggies veggies!). Eventually, the body just starts wanting the good stuff. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yup, thats where I am. All my old "fat" clothes are all now the ONLY clothes I can wear.... That was kinda what put me over the edge.

Crossfit is here in Indy as well and I know some folks doing it, but due to the fact I have to pick up my kid each night and watch her for a couple hours while my wife is still working, going to a gym isn't going to work.

I am trying to do the better foods mostly due to my wife not buying the bad stuff. I can only eat lean meats as I tend to get sick on super fatty stuff which helps. With that said I do have to watch how much fiber I eat and also how much fruit as it causes me some issues.

For now cardio will have to be something I can involve the kido in so I think walking and biking and possibly jogging will have to suffice.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yup, thats where I am. All my old "fat" clothes are all now the ONLY clothes I can wear.... That was kinda what put me over the edge.

It's a hard thing to loose the pregnancy weight.:mrgreen:

The last couple of pics I saw of you on a top secret NSA live feed were truly shocking as for a minute I thought you looked like Kim Kardashian:twisted::eek:

lol... j/k bro... I need to drop about 35 myself.:cool:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2013
    Options
    There is no better motivation than results. WWW.BODYBUILDING.COM has all the info you need and step by step programs to reach your fitness goals. Choose one and STICK TO IT they all work very well and its FREE. Your hard work and dedication is the only thing that determines success, not genetic potential or age, metabolism or any other bs excuses people come up with. Be DISCIPLINED don't cheat on your diet. I've read your posts I know your a smart guy, research a little about nutrition, diet soda really man. WATER, a gallon a day, A GALLON. Limit your salt/sodium is a biggie I would eat none if I could. Sodium sticks to your fat cells and absorbs water making your fat bigger. Limit the sodium as much as possible will shed this excess water giving a fast reduction in size and weight. And you want lots of water coming in to flush it out faster. Its a nice motivator when getting started.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I've gained and lost my own body weight several times during the course of a few decades. Just call my YoYo...(I don't play cello, though). I never really get to the obese stage either just 20-35lbs or so over where I should be.

I assume you've dieted before, because the BEST part of dieting and exercising is when you HIT your sticking points (the place where a week or two or more passes and very little weight comes off, and you get a little disgusted with the entire project, but then, magically, you get on the scale and 4-5 lbs peels off, lol).

So hang in there, the first 10 lbs, almost anyone can lose, the rest, that takes time!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2013
    Options
    If you're gonna get serious then get serious. Don't "finish" the candy you have, THROW IT OUT!! "Eat candy in moderation" seriously?? Cut out the crap....period. You know what that is....sugar. Eat veggies veggies veggies.....your body WILL adapt. Be true to your subject line that you're not gonna take it anymore..... I DARE YOU to throw out the candies and other junk in the kitchen.....do that and I'll say that you're serious.....eat the candy and you'll soon be back to doing what you've been doing. Good luck.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Joe, while I appreciate it, I am doing this for me. This isnt meant to offend but this is about me so I dont care if you take me seriously or not, my wife still doesn't believe me yet, but if I do something I go all in. Otherwise if I am not going to go all in, I dont because its not worth it.

I am only a week in, but I plan on staying focused on the end result.

Joe: Yes I know Diet Soda is bad, its a vice I have. We all have vices in some way shape or form. Trust me there are worse out there for sure :biggrin:. Like I said I have been trying to limit my intake there and have done a decent job this week. Just plain water doesnt do it for me, maybe that will change. I cant do those flavor things because most of them have citric acid which I really need to avoid for medical reasons (hence watching fruit intake as well).

I am going to try and cut down on it, and who knows maybe my grape snacks will kill my taste for it but right now I am focusing on calories.

Thanks for the website will make sure to check it out when I have time. I think a buddy of mine uses it for his strength training stuff.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It's a hard thing to loose the pregnancy weight.:mrgreen:

I know right? It was soo easy to gain it.. :wink:. Actually most of the big push was due to the Prednisone, but again its gonna take time for even that water weight to come off, so I might as well just make this a major life change.
    The last couple of pics I saw of you on a top secret NSA live feed were truly shocking as for a minute I thought you looked like Kim Kardashian:twisted::eek:

Hey man, cmon you know what happens in the NSA stays in the NSA..

P.S. I read your emails :mrgreen::twisted::evil:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Well Dan welcome to that age of 30 something, when things slow down and we blow up...if you let it...been there done that.

Th quicker you get a handle on it the better...but those treats will taste better
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Fyi diet dew=citric acid!

Fact. diet soda increases appetite. The water will make you feel full. Drink 12oz of water before you eat, you will eat less. You gotta get out of your own way. Discipline is how I lost almost 60 lbs in about 6 months. From a size 36 at 217 lbs to a 30 in waist at 158 lbs. Now im still a 30 in waist at 195lbs. Building 10lbs of lean mass a year. If I did it anyone can. I would wish you luck but luck had nothing to do with it. Good discipline.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Let me start by saying this will be wordy! I understand if ou want to come back and read it another time but I was there not long ago.

Over the span of 13-14 years, I gained 95lbs after moving out of my parents house. I was always ok with it and was confident in myself no matter my size so I made the jokes as being the fat kid before others could make them. Kind of like Eminem in 8 mile; take their ammo away from them and they can't hurt you thus making it easier to accept. A buddy at work was about my size (but taller so heavier number wise) hit his breaking point and jumped on MyFitnessPal then after 20 or so down, started running. After 10 months, he was down 80lbs and running half marathons. I was his biggest supporter for a good amount of time until I decided to pick up biking as I always loved it as a kid. First couple rides were rough. 30 minutes and I was gassed and sore for a couple days. Really? Early 30's and that out of shape? So I said, if he can do it, I know I can. Downloaded MFP, entered my intake and exercise and what do you know? That isn't hard. At first my net was 1490/day. After 10 down, 1460 and so on until it bottomed at 1200 net. So after kicking my own ****, sticking to healthier options (aka low cal at the time), I eventually lost 70lbs in 8 months and fealt great! Friends, family, co workers, customers at work... All making comments how I look great. But with my work, I eventually decided to maintain and stop trying to lose as I can't do much cardio in the winter. I maintained (only put on 5lbs in 3 months) and was happy with that. I will say I also spent all winter doing nothing up researching food, exercise, nutrition, etc. I eventually picked up Insanity and finished it (only 7% do finish so call that a win for me!). Then the weather got nicer but I started to return to my old ways and ended up at 12lbs back on. I've recently got back at it and am back on my path to lose again for the summer and lean out. But it's going to take muscle so my focus is shifting to weight training instead of pure cardio. Once you hit a plateau, you must change it up pretty drastic to blow past it. Motivation is key obviously. I even tried a week long juice cleanse. While I lost 9.4lbs in 7 days, 7 popped back on in 3 days of finishing and that's even with primarily eating veggies and lean protein. I don't know if I just didn't do it long enough or if its a fluke but I am unsure what to think about it. There's thousands of people losing weight but few do long term result reviews. The few that do will still do 10-14 day cleanses every 3 months. But I'll leave that up to you to research if you want to try that. I don't NOT recommend it, must saying maybe... If you want, watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It's all about juicing and his website has a lot of good recipes. I'll eventually do another cleanse and make it longer to see how I feel about it more long term. So for fitness, I'm a cyclist with focus on mountain biking. I've always hated running and I still do. So I picked up running at the end of last summer to compliment biking and to challenge myself. If I can conquer and become good at something I hate, I can do anything I set my mind to. I'm now running 3-5 miles every time I lace up. Still hate it but it also gives me bonding time with my dog so I love that side of it. As already said, I even completed Insanity just to say I did. Lots of coworkers tried but stopped 2-3 weeks in. Well the former fat kid finished and I love that I can say that. I have a FitBit pedometer my dad bought me so we can see each others activity level. It can sync to MFP but I don't recommend it because it'll skew your exercise and give you the impression you can have more calories than you should IMO. For working out, I use Endomondo simply because it'll automatically input the exercise and calorie burn into MFP. Get a heart rate monitor to even further help its accuracy. Otherwise, track EVERYTHING into MFP. No point of tracking if you're not going to track it all! Your body will keep a log of weight and calories even if you don't so there's no point in cheating/lying to yourself.

So what have I learned about all this? What is my key to success? Lots of things actually. First, figure out your triggers for cheating/unhealthy eating or binging and find viable solutions. For me, I'm a sweets guy! Now I eat strawberries, grapes, kiwi, blueberries etc. food portions is also very key for me! I'm an over eater. Not because I needed the extra food but I didn't want to stop the flavor intake. Just remember, the fat will stick with you a lot longer than the flavor in your mouth. Ive been on twitter for quite some time but have changed who I follow to be part of a fitness sub culture basically (nicknamed the FitFam) which has helped with motivation, motivational sayings and pictures, as well as workout programs and proper eating techniques. Eat clean, train dirty! Anyway, I've watched every food documentary on Netflix and have learned a lot. Now I don't look at food in terms of calorie intake so much as nutritional value and content. You can eat all you want if its veggies, fruit and lean protein. I've also switched to a 2-3 meals guy to 5-6. So don't stop your snacking, change what you're snacking on! It'll help keep your metabolism up, as will eating spicy food, cold water and numerous other things. Which brings me to my next point that I didn't see anyone mention unfortunately. DRINK MORE WATER! Damn near drown yourself, or it'll feel like it at first. 8-12 cups a day, more depending on your exercise needs. That is the #1 thing to remember! Eat fruits that also give your body water. Melons, berries, grapes, cherries, etc. if your body is dehydrated, it'll retain water because it doesn't know when you'll be getting your next water source from. Water water water! Switch away from as much dairy as possible. I only drink almond milk now for my cereals, protein shakes etc. Much better for you, lower cal, more nutritional. Ive taken almost all dairy out of my diet and dont miss it at all. The only time is if its melted cheese. If its unmelted, it's a lot of calories and really doesn't add any flavor to your food. For a good filling source of protein, eat more natural nut butters. Peanut, almond, cashew, etc. Find a good protein powder and drink a shake after every hard workout, run, biking, you name it. Also, starting the day with protein is good for the system. So drink a protein shake for breakfast and watch the pounds drop. Much better for you than cereal. If you have time to make a real breakfast, oatmeal, eggs, fruit, peanut butter, all good options to fuel your body for the day. I've seen documentaries on going vegetarian, vegan and paleo and while I'll never go to any of those extremes, there's a ton of good information out there to incorporate into your daily regiment. For example, check out Food Matters on Netflix. Also find a good multi vitamin and fish oil (I get mine from Advocare) to help your body all around. I even throw in some vitamin D during the winter when I'm not outside all the time.

I will say it feels amazing that I've lost the weight, kept it off mostly and my family and friends are so proud of me. That's an amazing feeling that I'll never forget. My friends at first used to say "come on man, lets get 5 Guys burgers." Now they say, no man. I get it. Now I even have family and friends slowly changing to a healthier lifestyle, becoming more active and becoming happier with themselves. That's how I now I'm inspiring and changing the world. Even if it means a coule people. Lastly, take pictures, and reference them often. I have a couple pictures on my fridge of the Fat Kid just to remind myself to grab a yogurt or fruit instead of a frozen pizza. My phone has a photo album called Progress and I organize them by angle (forward, side shot, flexing etc) to be able to swipe and see the progress a month at a time. That will be key in continued effort.

Without rereading all of this, I'm pretty sure I've covered everything. Can think of off the top of my head. This was a long type for an iPad but I hope I have helped, given some new ideas and maybe even inspired some. If I can be of any help, even be a friend on Endomondo or MFP, hit me up. I'm not the foremost expert but I know what worked for me.

Btw, I'm 33, 5'4" was 240lbs, size 40 pants, XL pushing XXL shirts. Now I'm 175, size 33 pants, med or large shirts (depending on cut/brand) and couldn't feel happier about it. I'll never be a 200lb guy again and once I continuously stay in the 160's, I'll never see 180 again. I don't know what my goals are as they'll always change depending on where I'm at. For now, I want to gain functional strength, lean out and on top of it all, be healthy!!

I'll jump off my soap box now. Sorry, I love to talk about it as you will to someday.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Beyond Diet podcast , listen learn live.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,028
    edited June 2013
    Options
    My sophomore year in college, I weighed 296 lbs.
    I was 208 when I got married in 1983.
    Today I weigh 155 (and have been at that weight for over a year).

I hate to exercise (except for walking and bike riding).
    I love to eat.

The current Weight Watchers program is palatable, and it works.

If you can use apps and web sites and gymnasiums to lose weight & get in shape; great and good for you.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I think its all great advice for you. Its good you realize its important to be healthy. Which is definitely better for your body. Take it one step at a time,without over doing it. Do it a step more each week and you will notice the progress. You will feel much better physically and mentally you will feel great. Do it for yourself and others will notice. I have 20 year olds ask me for advice on weight lifting.im almost 50 . I help them with programs/schedules. I tell them its all up to you. Start light dont over do it. You will see progress. It doesnt happen overnight..BUT you will feel results daily if you continue. You be the judge of that....keep it up. Have faith in yourself....Randy
    Randy/Maine
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions. I'd like to add something about starting a physical agenda, be it the gym, crossfit, biking, running etc. Your body is going to be wanting more "input" (read:food) because of your increased output. We have a gym where I work, and it's a common site to see folks come in with the intention of losing weight and finding they don't because they've increased their calorie count to compensate. It's easily remedied, being aware this may happen is a good start. And whatever combination of exercise/dieting you may choose, please stick with it. Humans, for the most part, are creatures of habit. Most of our bad habits didn't come overnight, same goes for our good ones. It's amazing how if you make yourself do something in the beginning and stick to it, that it eventually becomes part of your lifestyle.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Awesome job, Toxis. Your doing it exactly right, I commend your dedication.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Absolutely Red ^^^.

Discipline ?? That's the real killer in the weight loss world. We have none and our attention span is about as big as a nat. People move from diet plan to diet plan failing at each eventually, searching for that magical plan that requires no exercise/change of habits/ and still allows you to eat junk.

No offense to anyone, what works for some may or may not work for others. Saying you will finish the candy first ? Dude, you just committed yourself to failure off the bat AND your not taking it seriously. Make the commitment, have a plan, have the discipline to see it materialize. Focus like a laser beam pal.

Portion control, variety, good wholesome foods, and yes...exercise. It's a winning formula that doesn't require calorie counting, giving the evil eye at a slice of cheesecake, or turning vegetarian.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I had a similar wake up call when I looked at the pictures that were taken at my niece's wedding. I could not believe that I let my gut get so f'n big! I started my change of life immediately, and have since lost 35#. I feel great, and look good, too! I love it when people notice! The first thing I did was eliminate soda from my diet. Unsweetened iced tea is my beverage of choice now. Essentially I cut my sugar intake as much as possible. Guess what! It works! Next, I changed the way I eat. I try to have more greens on my plate than meat or starch. I eat until I'm full, but instead of a second potato, or more steak, I eat another serving of veggies. Sometimes I slack off, but I try to make it the exception, not the rule. Exercise is provided by my new German Shorthair puppy. He needs to get a good run two to three times a day or he goes stir crazy. This motivates me to get my **** off of the couch and get moving or loose another piece of furniture due to his nervous chewing!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Several people have mentioned the sugar thing....very true! Research the glycemic index and how it works. Probably more important than worrying about the calories in a food. Greatly reduce the sugars and the calories are reduced at the same time, this along with gradual increase in physical activities and you'll feel and look better in a few weeks. Stay away from processed foods(including deli meats that have been cured)...eat fresh foods as much as possible and eat lots of chicken, turkey and fish for meat rather than beef/pork. Find a substitute for diet soda.
    I say all these things not from my own personal body experience(fortunatley my genes keep my weight in check it seems) but from a friend that weighed about 275 a few years ago, he's now down to 190 and has more energy and feels better today than he has in years.
    Good luck to you. Whatever you do to lose weight naturally your body will thank you soon.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited June 2013
    Options
    You ARE FED up!!!

Muhahahaha!!!!!!!

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Good luck Dan, your girl will love the extra years with 'fit' dad!
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I am just going to chime in. I was faced with the same situation you are in about 5 years ago. I had just got married and balloned up 35-40 lbs from my college weight. In college, I always worked out but never really ate well. I started reading and getting back in the gym. I know this is going to sound crazy but YOU MUST EAT MORE CALORIES!. 1400 is too low of intake for any man. 6 meals a day is a must to get your metabo going. You should be eating 2k -2500 calories a day. Its all about what type of calories your eating. Cut out salt and sugar and drink plenty of water. Both are wasted calories and salt makes you hold water. Do give yourself a cheat day. You will go nuts if you dont. Also this has to become a way of life, not just for the moment to lose the weight. It will come back faster than you lost it if you dont. As others said, eat lean meat. Chicken breast( no skin), turkey, and fish(white fish is better). Keep staying active. Eating properly is 70-80% of it. Also keep a journal and chart your calories, carbs, fat gram intake, protein per day. Once you hit the plateau that is inevitable, you can see where you might can adjust to get over the hump. Good luck. I went from 255 to now at a lean mean 200 at 6'1. I also had a friend that went from 420 to 270 naturally by doing these things and he did it in a years time. Discipline is key period.
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Also dont judge yourself by lbs right off. Judge by inches and how your clothes fit. Muscle weighs more than fat and as you transform, you may not lose any weight but look and feel lighter.