Paradise Phono Pre

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
edited May 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
While making my digital much better I was also looking around for a real nice SS DIY phono pre to build. I looked at several and decided on a Paradise. It is dual mono design with a nice RIAA and power regulation designed by Joachim Gerhard. I got in the second group buy for the boards.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218625-paradise-builders.html

This was a result of his 2009 MPP or ‘my phono pre’ thread. He gives credit for his inspiration and had some input from others.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp.html

Projects are stacking up on the bench but I am pretty excited about his one.

Fred, some schematics for you!:biggrin:
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited May 2013
    Kewl, Rich. Don't want your Lenco to get jealous of all the love your digital's gotten of late!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2013
    Any chance of still being able to grab one of these kits?

I am always looking for an entertaining project to pass the time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    agfrost wrote: »
    Kewl, Rich. Don't want your Lenco to get jealous of all the love your digital's gotten of late!

With all the work I have to do it may be jealous to next winter……for sure it won’t be ready by June 22.

Any chance of still being able to grab one of these kits?

I am always looking for an entertaining project to pass the time.

The google docs list says the group buy is closed (link is in first post of Paradise phono stage GB thread). You could express interest in the thread linked below or PM Alfred (hesener) direct.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/216891-paradise-phono-stage.html

There have been some folks at diyaudio posting their Paradise kits for sale. I've seen some post a wanted to buy in the Swap Meet forum. In the first round there was also a parts GB which would have been great. After I got the boards I was sent a link to Mouser that creates an order list for one board versus looking up all the parts needed off a BOM.

This is an MC only stage due to the amount of gain. Loading is fixed but they do show how to make a variable loading selector using an input selector switch.

EDIT: Another MC dual mono project that I considered was the Pass Pearl 2. Boards were readily available from the Pass DIY site along with matched jfets. $100 a board IIRC. With the Paradise you have to match which means buying more than you need and measure. If you don't have a curce tracer (I don't) they show how to build a simple circuit to test them with a DMM.

You can find the build thread for the Pearl 2 in the Pass Labs forum there at diyaudio. It did invert phase so you have to swap speaker cable polarity (a pain if you listen to other sources) or better alternative swap polarity at the cartridge. The Pearl 2 offered more gain than the first Pearl. Wayne desinged it, not sure how much input was from Nelson.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited May 2013
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    With all the work I have to do it may be jealous to next winter……for sure it won’t be ready by June 22.

That Swiss table was happy as soon as the funds were withdrawn from your Swiss bank account. :cool:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    edited May 2013
    Hi Rich,
    I received a set of the boards last week also. I thought I saved the BOM but cant find it. I read they are updating it so I will wait for the new one. I just built up the Hagerman Bugle2 phono preamp and like it a lot. Great sound for very little $. So along with the TPA Retro I will have 3 phono pre amp kits to compare when I finish the Paradise. The dac sounds so very good that I felt the need to step up the phono side of things. Did you build the Amanero Isolator/Reclocker yet? I have the parts and the reflow solder but haven't "cooked" them up yet. I also have too many projects to work on and with the summer on its way they will have to wait till the rain comes again in the fall.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    agfrost wrote: »
    That Swiss table was happy as soon as the funds were withdrawn from your Swiss bank account. :cool:

I hope so. I think it just recently got over getting cut up and relocated.:biggrin:

Hey Greg! I hear ya, my TP DAC sounds very good and my turntable gets lonely. I have experience with the Bugle but not the TP Retro. My experience with tables, cartridges and phono stages is like that of the DAC; you move up you get something you didn’t have before. But you eventually hit a point where you can't afford to move up...lol DIY has allowed me to exceed what I can't afford used/retail.

I am behind in my reading and missed the BOM update notice. Guess I’ll wait and see what the change is.

I started on the Amanero isolation board but set it aside. The SMD devices are a pain to work with. We let the landscaping go when the mother in law was living here (she worsened to severe Alzheimer’s) so we’ve been working outside a lot to get that back in shape. It’s not a small job as the wife got carried away with it; it starts at the street, along the driveway and wraps around the house and back yard fence.

I was real spoiled with the ModWright SWLP 9.0SE. Up to 68dB of wonderfully dynamic but quiet phono gain. The DAC sounding better balanced forced me into a balanced pre. The Krell KSL phono board is actually very good after the recap and re-bias but I’m hoping to do better. Like the KSL pre it is a jfet design and I like jfets! I used Vishay and Siemens Styroflex polystyrene caps on the phono board. I’m looking for a little more gain for my low output MC’s.

close_1_zps7f874d8a.jpg

If you preferred to do a nice tube phono the Hagerman Coronet II is very good. It is a low distortion design. You can build it from mild to wild depending on caps used. IIRC the one I built for Carl had Auricaps, like $600 total. It is only around 44dB gain though.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2013
    Nice.By the looks of that parts count you and your soldering iron are going to be spending a lot of quality time together.:razz:
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    FTGV wrote: »
    Nice.By the looks of that parts count you and your soldering iron are going to be spending a lot of quality time together.:razz:

I have worn out a couple of tips. Either normal wear or maybe I press too hard? Stop using acid core solder? :eek::biggrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2013
    Hey Rich!

We're always watching your projects as your builds look like pieces of electronic art. Rock on Richee!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    Hey Carl! Rockman Rock rocks on! :biggrin: