Hello from Queens, New York : )

pork
pork Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in Forum Testing Area
Hello, everyone! New member here and just wanted to introduce myself.

Hailing from Queens, New York, I've been enjoying the home theater experience for about six years now.

My current setup is:

Fronts: Polk RM7400T
Center: Polk CS2
Surround: Polk R300
Subwoofer: Elemental Designs A2-300 (got in on this two years before they bought the farm)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V765
External Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5
Blu-ray player: Panasonic DMP-BD35
DVD player: Sony DVP-NS77HP
Television: Panasonic TC-L60E55
Playstation 3 Slim
Xbox 360 (original white one. It's a Falcon!)

I have a very mismatched system but it's all Polk stuff so that's good, right? :cool: It was all calibrated with a Radio Shack digital SPL meter. I think my sound system sounds pretty okay for having all the speakers from different Polk series. Maybe one day I'll upgrade but for now, I'm diggin' it.

My Emotiva is over-kill for my speakers but they sound amazing now. Before I only had my Yamaha powering my speakers and it really is a night and day difference.

And I also have a separate DVD player because I watch DVDs more than bloos and I don't want to "wear out" the blu-ray player. haha Probably doesn't make sense to you guys but to me, it makes perfect sense.

Been lurking on the forums here for a while and everyone here seems real knowledgeable and I hope to have nice conversations with you all!
Mellow greetings. What seems to be your boggle?
Post edited by pork on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to the club, stick around lots of knowledgable people here
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited May 2013
    Welcome. Enjoy your system and have fun.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,139
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to the Club!!
  • pork
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Will do my best to contribute both helpful insight as well as useless nonsense. : )
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited May 2013
    member since 2009 and your first post is today....Well welcome to club Polk I guess. Had nothing to say until now..? pipe up a little more would ya.
  • pork
    edited May 2013
    Haha well, what happened was I registered for this forum back then and then I completely forgot about it. I remember this place looked a bit different when I first registered. When I went to register for this site again, it gave me the "e-mail already in use" message. Yea, I know, I'm an idiot. I've only actually started reading this forum maybe a month or so ago.... I think. But I'll definitely be more active all up in here from now on. =D

Funny thing about what I stumbled upon which prompted my participation here:

I was reading through a lot of the older threads and stumbled upon the user Mike LoManaco. I know he was well-liked and a valued member here. LOL. His writing style was so similar to others I've seen on various forums and, of course, it is the same person. Just thought it was funny and I spent a good amount of time reading through all his threads. I wish I was here for it but it's my own fault I neglected to honor my own membership here.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to Club Polk Pork!

There is no such thing as overkill, if it sounds great to you that is all that matters, and you don't have to worry about driving any future upgrade speakers to their full potential.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    edited May 2013
    I honestly think the biggest improvement I ever noticed with an amp/speakers was when I hooked up my Carver tfm-55 to my R50's. If there is such a thing as overkill, this was it, but it took those speakers up another couple of notches.

Skip has given you some good advice...this place has cost me thousands:lol::lol: BUT the return on the investment is priceless.

And of course, WELCOME!!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to Club Polk from Joisey.
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited May 2013
    Welcome from Brooklyn.
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited June 2013
    I was just reading one of porks posts. Welcome to Club Polk!
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • pork
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. It is appreciated. Looking forward to getting to know everyone over time. Time to go browse the topics here. Need to do some catching up. : )