how to get rid of smells?

Options
erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,315
edited June 2013 in Electronics
I got a cd player that has a funny smell to it. Its like a musty or mold kind of smell but I dont see any mold inside it anywhere. The box and manual have the same smell but its melowed out just leaving it in the sun for a day or 2. How do I get rid of the smell from the cd player itself?

I like the unit too much just to ditch it. I thought maybe put it outside but im afraid with the cover off, it might get too much dust and crap inside of it. Any tips on getting the smell out of it would be helpful.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
Post edited by erniejade on

Comments

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited May 2013
    Options
    How about trying to put it in a large sealed plastic container with a few sheets of fabric softener for a day or 2.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • eclypse
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Also I've read to try some apples cut in half in a sealed container. I'd prob try that first!
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• erniejade
    edited May 2013
    Options
    So take the cd player and open it up and put it in a big bag with dryer sheets. That sounds like it might work actually. The person I got it from house must have a mold or musty smell to it. the box, paperwork and the unit itself all have the same odor. I thought when I opened it up I would see mold in the box or the unit itself but, its all clean so its driving me crazy! The cd player weighs in at 50 lbs but I can use a bigger garbage bag. thanks for the idea!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Put it in a garbage bag with a small bowl of coffee grounds. Seal it up for a few days.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • hosedagain
    hosedagain Posts: 116
    edited May 2013
    Options
    take it into the shower with you and give a good soapy wash, couldn't resist. Maybe the previous owner was a smoker? I would try the fabric softner sheets, or ozone that car detailers us to get rid of smoke smell in cars that has been smoked in
  • eclypse
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yup I've heard of the coffee grounds as well. All those should work.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• erniejade
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks I will give it a shot. Its crazy how the metal holds the odor! I thought after a week or 2 of being out of the box it would mellow out but, its just making the room smell!
  • eclypse
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The smell is prob deep down in the PCB.. prob in the resin on the boards. IF that don't work remove the boards from it and clean then with q-tips and isopropyl alcohol 99% and scrub the boards. Do that last though if nothing else works.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2013
    Options
    If you can set your oven under 200 degrees. You can put in there and bake the smell away.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • heartystatue
    heartystatue Posts: 329
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You can also try a good electronic contact cleaner safe for plastics. Brands like CRC, LPS, Chesterton. I like the Isoprpyl alcohol idea too.
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I, Essence HDACC.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Or how about putting it in a sealed container with an open box of baking soda for a few days?
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The airlines always use fresh coffee when someone can't keep the contents of their stomachs down. I think putting your gear in a bag and opening a fresh can of coffee and putting about half in with it should work.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It sounds like the prior owner may have had it stored in a basement. That happens to books when they are kept too long in a damp and humid basement. It is hard to get rid of that smell, at least in books. I have heard about baking soda but have never tried it. I have a Parasound HCA 1200 amp I recently got and the prior owner was a smoker so the amp has a slight smell of smoke to it. Let us know if any of the tips offered by the other posters work. I am curious myself and would like to try to do something to get rid of the odor of smoke to my amp. Good luck.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The garbage bag idea is good. Would recommend using vinegar instead of drier sheets/coffee though. Vinegar is probably one of the best de-oderizers/cleaners known to man.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Id try dryer sheets first. But In my 48 ft trailer i use coffee grounds and it does a WONDERFUL JOB even when i used after i hauled fish to the fish market in NYC....then pick up a load back of frozen food for Shaws/Hannaford supermarkets in Maine..coffee grounds work wonders.... DARN SMELL
    Randy/Maine
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited May 2013
    Options
    ^ That is where my experience with coffee ground comes from. I've also used it in guitar cases before to remove smoke smell. Works great.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Paint it with Kilz. Works every time...
  • erniejade
    edited May 2013
    Options
    All good ideas. I will try the coffe / dryer sheets in a bag with the cd player top off. I went to the store and got some sheets.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Eh, just give it a new smell. Pop the top and place in the kitchen while roasting a few heads of garlic. At least those old Dean Martin tunes will sound.....and smell authentic.:smile:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    edited May 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Eh, just give it a new smell. Pop the top and place in the kitchen while roasting a few heads of garlic. At least those old Dean Martin tunes will sound.....and smell authentic.:smile:

Now that's funny!
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Not pulling my finger............................will greatly decrease the occurence of smells!
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2013
    Options
    If OZIUM can clear a room of that immediate tell tale oder of weed ,it's got work on most other oders. If and it's usually a spray aply then either air dry or take a fan to it.This I know from the former not about the electronics....lol

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ozium&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4643229027&hvpos=1s1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=323324296556215841&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5b3feg1rs2_b
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Should of thought of this before ending my 1st post.While coffee is used to mask other oders if you put it w/ the unit naked then the grinds will get all over the place. If you bag it 1st then you defeat the whole pupose of your exercise to begin with.The old apple and orange peal thing is also done to keep canned tobacco fresh as I remember some of my pipe smoking friends used to do
    that.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Get a good sized bag of charcoal, slit it open on one side, put it in a large garbage bag with the gear on top of the bag of charcoal, seal it, come back in a few days. I've un-stunk many speakers that came from "smoking" homes this way.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Try putting it in a closet with an ozone generation machine.

I have one and it is incredible in removing any kind of organic smell such as cigarette smoke, mildew, musty basements, barf, pet urine or worse.

It's what they use to get rid of , you know, "that dead body smell" out of car trunks, motel rooms etc.

You can rent one at most rental places and some hardware stores.

May not be worth the rental for one CD player, but you will find other uses. Put it in a bathroom with whatever you want deodorized, shut the door and let it run overnight. Then turn on the fan for a while to clear out the ozone (it is can irritate your eyes/ears etc. No more smell.

You can borrow mine if you want. It's about the size of a lunchbox.

I bought it used cheap and use it all the time.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I've purchased a number of funky smelling pieces of electronics from Craigslist, and the best treatment is airing them out. If you can pop the top and blow it out with a can of air, then vacuum it out, and it should loose its smell within a week.
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Other than fire, ozone is the most oxidizing thing in nature. Ozone will neutralize any odor. Auto Dealers often use what is called an "ozone bomb" to eliminate odors in a used or rental car. They work like an insect spray bomb. I think I saw some on Amazon. I would put the unit in a small room, say your bathroom, and release the ozone bomb there. A smaller room will make the ozone more concentrated. Ozone will not hurt electronics in any way.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2013
    Options
    PatFox wrote: »
    why dont you spray up some rose water on it that would work well here and will also give it a fresh fragrance to it

I dunno about that one. You think spraying water on electronics is a good idea ?

I like my garlic idea so far. :smile: But, other options are still available. For instance, he could snag a hookers underwear and rub it all over the inside. the smell may not go over too well with the wife however.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's some deep thinking, lol
    I would try Mothballs..

tonyb wrote: »
    I dunno about that one. You think spraying water on electronics is a good idea ?

I like my garlic idea so far. :smile: But, other options are still available. For instance, he could snag a hookers underwear and rub it all over the inside. the smell may not go over too well with the wife however.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited May 2013
    Options
    When my wife had cats in our house and they would pee on my stuff, I used a product called "Natures Miracle" which is enzyme based to neutralize smells.

Maybe a fine mist of this with the unit unplugged then let dry for a day or two?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.