I love my neighbors!

SDA1C
SDA1C Posts: 2,069
edited April 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I just received a visit from my neighbor that happens to be 2 blocks away. They brought me a request list and walked away with out a word. Wonderful world folks....still!

New DB reading.jpg
Too much **** to list....
Post edited by SDA1C on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited April 2013
    Gotta' love some people, my nearest neighbor lives 3 1/2 miles away, don't think they'd walk that far even if they were annoyed. lol
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2013
    IS that 123 db ? I hope not.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2013
    thsmith wrote: »
    IS that 123 db ? I hope not.

no man... it clearly reads 123.5 DB!:cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2013
    Yea that .5 will make a big difference at those levels. I cant imagine the clarity is very good at those levels. I like my hearing to much for that.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • hosedagain
    hosedagain Posts: 116
    edited April 2013
    neighbors are usually next door, across the street or a few houses down the street, not 2 blocks or 3 miles away...or am I being bamboozled...
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2013
    123.5 DB is ridiculous!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2013
    To achieve 123dB with 2.3's you would need 2112 watts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited April 2013
    IIRC, 120 dB was attained at PolkFest '08, in the SRT room? Shook the house pretty good.

Still, quality over quantity is the rule for me now. YMMV.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2013
    F1nut wrote: »

Assuming he is bi-amping the 2.3's off the Sunfire sig, and the 2.3's are a 4 ohm load, he would be very close to 3200 watts both channels driven. I never measured spl when I hade a similar setup, but I do remember having a similar experience with the neighbors.:cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2013
    B.S. Noosh
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    edited April 2013
    If you listened to 123.5 db for more than 10 min you should have perminet hearling loss or at the very least a case of the hersey squirts. That much spl should leave a mark!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2013
    Maybe this theard should read "Neighbors Love Me!"

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited April 2013
    F1nut wrote: »

2112 watts. Maybe that's what Rush was singing about.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2013
    heiney9 wrote: »
    B.S. Noosh

Sunfire Signature amps are good for 425wpc x 5 channels. This would become 850wpc into a 4ohm load. If you are bi-amping your 4ohm speakers from this amp, that would mean the amp is delivering a potential 1700wpc into the 4 ohm load.

I am not at all saying it is actually happening, but I am saying that having experience with the very same equipment the OP has in his signature, it is entirely plausible for this setup to get the 2112 number Jesse is speaking of to hit 123db.

• SDA1C
    edited April 2013
    EHHH????? JK LOL

Yes it is accurate measure and yes I wear earplugs and muffs. I was running my 2.3 only with the 2 dxi subs NOT biamped. I measured at the tip of the triangle of sweetness. It effin runs boys! oh ....and it was on -30 db. It will push to -27 or -25 but I don't like to replace tweeters, any more.

It is "A" weighted, Max collection, Slow response and Hi value on the SPL meter.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2013
    what is the point of listening to high end gear under muffs and plugs? is it band night?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2013
    SDA1C wrote: »
    They brought me a request list and walked away with out a word.

How could you tell it was without a word? They could have been pounding on the door with a hammer and you would not have heard them! :eek:
  • SDA1C
    edited April 2013
    @ 11steve. Just to see what it will do. See if I could solicit those funny smells again. If so It's time to add robustness, alas nothing funky LOL.

@ teekay...The door was open. I assume that's how the neighbors heard it. I do keep the back door closed which is aimed their way. It must have made its way from the front of the house. Not to be misleading....it leaves the wife's wine alone 15 feet away but will knock stuff over in the garage. I think it's a wavelength thing.

I just like to push my gear. I go outside and like the feel of the kick drum while sitting on the porch. It does not sound crappy and it is not out of headroom. It friggin rock's and I like it. Dudes go by on their Harleys and are all "Where the hell is that comin' from?" LOL
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2013
    gotchya..... i remember those days.....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2013
    11tsteve wrote: »
    what is the point of listening to high end gear under muffs and plugs? is it band night?

Hell, just to bug the neighbors
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2013
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Hell, just to bug the neighbors
    that is what i did in the dorms when my floormates cranked their Poison....now i just assume my neighbors like the same music i do....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited April 2013
    I occasionally bust out the Cerwin Vegas out of storage crank em and they can be heard a good half block away, critical listening speakers, no but loud very loud. A day or two of pissing off the Rappers down the street then back in storage they go.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited April 2013
    I lost track, just where was that meter reading taken?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2013
    And I am out if popcorn. Continue anyway.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2013
    The A setting is notoriously inaccurate at higher dB levels. The C setting should be used to obtain a true dB level.

Theoretically, there is no possible way to achieve 123.5dB with the given gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SDA1C
    edited April 2013
    Awesome. I'll give it a run on the c next time the fam is out. What do you expect to see based on the "a" measurement?

To give the most accurate reading should I use the fast or slow? Max or otherwise? High or low?

Thanks For the knowledge Jesse.
  • SDA1C
    edited April 2013
    With the same disc as before....116.7bd. "A" weight, Max, Fast, High and dbC, -30 db, SRS 2.3 and subs only.

Is that a more accurate representation?LOL I will bi amp in the next week and test again. Sort of figured I had something askew in the measurement department based on the chatter. This was at -30 as well which seems to be the realistic thresh hold of continuous play. I can rock out at -25 but beyond that is begging to pay the piper.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited April 2013
    My bike's exhaust would BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS OVER. LOL...just joking. You are crazy :) CRANK THAT GEAR
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited April 2013
    if you listened to 123.5 db for more than 10 min you should have perminet hearling loss or at the very least a case of the hersey squirts. That much spl should leave a mark!
    :::that there almost made me pee myself
    Randy/Maine
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2013
    Sunfire Signature amps are good for 425wpc x 5 channels. This would become 850wpc into a 4ohm load. If you are bi-amping your 4ohm speakers from this amp, that would mean the amp is delivering a potential 1700wpc into the 4 ohm load.

I am not at all saying it is actually happening, but I am saying that having experience with the very same equipment the OP has in his signature, it is entirely plausible for this setup to get the 2112 number Jesse is speaking of to hit 123db.

Still call BS.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!