Problem with THX Sound Test

Options
TechChallenged
TechChallenged Posts: 106
edited June 2004 in Troubleshooting
Someone tell me its going to be OK. I don't want to consume a weekend tearing apart my setup if this is not a problem. I used the Haunted Mansion DVD THX sound check. The check results went as follows;

Test Sound....................Actual Sound

Left front......................Same
Right front.....................Same
Center...........................Same
Sub................................Same
Right Surround...............Right Surround/Left Surround
Back Surround................Back Surround/Left Surround
Left Surround.................Same

My DVD player is a Samsung HD931 using Optical Cable to a Yamaha RX-V2400. The Yamaha sound test is correct.

Has anyone had similar experiances?
Post edited by TechChallenged on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't understand your question...
  • TechChallenged
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sorry, initial post is as clear as mud.
    Why is the sound coming from the left and right surround when the check says it should come from only the Right surround. Is something broke?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    Options
    If your Yammie sound test is correct, I would guess the problem is on the DVD.
  • movieguy
    movieguy Posts: 64
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the thx test assumes you have a side and rear surround set up , if your set up is 5.1 it will split the side surround signal and send it to both you rear speakers at the same time , watch the screen during the test and you'll see side surrounds as well as rear surrounds.
  • TechChallenged
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The Test does recognize both side and rear surrounds. The issue is that the right surround check plays both left and right surround. Left surround check only plays left surround. Back surround check plays on both Back and left surround.
  • TechChallenged
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Any suggestions out there.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Does your receiver put out test tones for each channel?
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I had something similar in my room, but it turned out to be due to reflections from a glass door. When the right surround tone sounded, it sounded like both the left and right surround were making noise... but it was actually just the reflected sound from the glass door making it sound that way. You might try walking up to the speaker to make sure the speaker is making the noise and not some weird room acoustics.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Does your receiver put out test tones for each channel?

That's the key. Good question. I'm assuming that what's happening is that the test DVD (or something else if possible) is not 6.1 capable and so something is getting compromised. Disable your center rear and run the tests again.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TechChallenged
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The receiver does put out test tones for each channel. Tonight I will disable the center rear and run the test again. I will also try this test using my 563a instead of the 931 to see if it is my player. Thanks for the help.
  • TechChallenged
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Problem solved. My DVD player Audio Setting was set to PCM instead of Dolby. I can't believe it was this simple. Thanks again for all your suggestions.