getting my Monitor 10b back in working order

Clownbaby
Clownbaby Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in Forum Testing Area
Howdy good folks!

I have a mw6503 voice coil scraping on one side. I've tested the speaker with a AA battery, and it moves in both directions, but is scraping. Please excuse my ignorance, I've tried to read as much about it as I've been able to find, and I think a replacement is probably the best route for me. I joined figuring I'd place a want ad, but seems there's a post requirement. So, I guess I'll call customer service and see if they still stock it. If I can get a replacement, does anyone want the fried one?

I'm wondering if it was just caused by age, from what I can see the wire is still shiny in there and not blackened.

Or maybe my amp has a problem or the RCA to input jack that I run an ipod from causes a loud distortion spike when plugging in with the volume loud?
Post edited by Clownbaby on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2013
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?118471-Current-Production-Drivers-Vintage-Support

Or keep an eye on eBay they come up often the new replacement look a little different but are good none the less. Mention you are a club Polk member and get a discount. Club member price 48.00. On older drivers the magnet slips and causes the scratchy sound. Most of use use JB-weld to go around the outside of the magnet joint to help keep in place as the glue gets older it tends to let go.
  • Clownbaby
    edited April 2013
    nice, looks like I should be able to find one, one way or another. I'm not overly concerned if the replacement looks a little different. From what I'm reading, you have to cut around the mounting holes on the replacement? Will the surround twist and pull up if you don't?

dscn8124l.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2013
    Clownbaby wrote: »
    From what I'm reading, you have to cut around the mounting holes on the replacement? Will the surround twist and pull up if you don't?

100% correct.
  • Clownbaby
    edited April 2013
    cool. thanks pitdogg2, for indulging my noobness.

I'll probably order a new one on monday, unless some kind soul out there has an original in working order they'd want to sell me.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited April 2013
    Let us know how you make out. Good luck
    Randy/Maine
  • Clownbaby
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to order the replacement from Polk tomorrow. I'm really hoping that's the only issue, and they'll be 100% after that's replaced. Can't wait
  • Clownbaby
    edited May 2013
    well, I got a 80's replacement instead. It seems to be working right. I cleaned it up before installing it with a bit of wet magic eraser because it was filthy and and had mildew/mold spots and stunk to heck. Seemed to clean it up well. It has a tiny hole in the surround, just like a thorn puncture in bicycle tube, but doesn't seem to affect it.

Now, is there a good way to clean the rest of them without taking them out? It's not a big deal, just wondering
  • CTTE
    CTTE Posts: 183
    edited May 2013
    Now, is there a good way to clean the rest of them without taking them out? It's not a big deal, just wondering

Use Windex on a soft cloth. Stay from the dust caps.
  • Clownbaby
    edited May 2013
    Cool, thank you. I had read that, but was a bit hesitant with ammonia on the rubber surrounds, but I was just over thinking it.

I only had 'Invisible Glass' brand cleaner, so I used that. One spray on a microfiber and gentle pressure and it cleaned them up nicely. Probably the first time they've ever been cleaned, other than just dusting.
  • gmjungbluth
    gmjungbluth Posts: 232
    edited May 2013
    +1 on the JB Weld. Don't gamble with your new woofer. i lost two myself -one on a 5B and one on a 7B. Now all of them are welded tight!
    HT System:
    Marantz NR-1403
    Front: Klipsch CF-4
    Rear: Paradigm Atom V3
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Fisher 500C
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Restored Polk Monitor 7B

Bedroom:
    Harman Kardon VR-3750
    Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble
    Polk PSW10

In and out of rotation:
    KLH Model 6,
    Polk LSI7
    NAD 7100
  • Clownbaby
    edited May 2013
    +1 on the JB Weld. Don't gamble with your new woofer. i lost two myself -one on a 5B and one on a 7B. Now all of them are welded tight!

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea and would prevent future speaker failure, but I don't see myself doing it.

What do you do? Razorblade the dust cap mostly off and run a bead of JB Weld around the magnet seam and superglue the dust cap back on?
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2013
    What do you do? Razorblade the dust cap mostly off and run a bead of JB Weld around the magnet seam and superglue the dust cap back on?

Well that would guarantee you'd never have any problem with driver ever again! That would toast it for sure...

The JB weld goes on the outside around the magnet it has not one thing to do with the dust cap or putting anything down the voice coil.
  • Clownbaby
    edited May 2013
    ha! see, I have no idea.

so, just reinforce the big ring shaped magnet?
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2013
    Im curious about this too, So your saying JB weld the magnet to the basket? Anyone have a pic?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Clownbaby
    edited May 2013
    Aha! That looks pretty easy. Thanks!

I have some Dynamat leftover from a car project too.