Question about Carver Amp and Polk Lsim705

chonk
chonk Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in Electronics
Hello.

I am the proud owner of the Polk Lsim705 but need to get an amp to push them.

I have a few opportunities to purchase either a Carver TFM-15 or TFM-45.

TFM-15
  • 100 wpc
  • Able to bi-wire them using the have A and B on them

TFM-45
  • 375 wpc
  • NO A and B
  • Will bi-wire with the two channel

My questions: Is the TFM-15 strong enough to push the Lsims? By bi-wiring with the A and B channel does that equal out to 200wpc? Is the TFM-45 @375wpc too much power for them?

I'm a noob to amps so please excuse my ignorance and thank you for your help.
Post edited by chonk on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2013
    If I had only those two to choose from,,, TFM 45 hands down.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • chris23120
    chris23120 Posts: 95
    edited April 2013
    I agree with George.
    Samsung UN55C6500 55" LED
    Onkyo TX-NR3007
    Polk Audio RT5000
    -RT3000 front
    -CS1000 center
    -FX1000 dipole
    Polk Audio PSW1000 5.1 sub
    Polk Audio microPRO 4000 x2 5.2 subs:biggrin:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2013
    TFM-45. You need lots of power for quick transients in music and movies. That and the 45 is just a good amp overall.

Also bi-wiring the LSiM's is pointless so dont even worry about that option.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2013
    I have one and you need one so buy it. Forget you ever heard of that TFM15
  • chonk
    edited April 2013
    Also bi-wiring the LSiM's is pointless so dont even worry about that option.

Why shouldn't I worry about bi-wiring? Should I just jump to bi-amping? Thank you for the response. :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2013
    chonk wrote: »
    Why shouldn't I worry about bi-wiring?

Sorry, bi-wiring the LSiM's is ok (using one set of connectors on the amp end and and 2 sets of connectors on the speaker end)
    chonk wrote: »
    Should I just jump to bi-amping? Thank you for the response. :)

Bi-amping using the TFM-15 on the LSiM's is what I meant to say would be pointless...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • chonk
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for the clarification. Can you let me know your thoughts on using the Onkyo Integra M-504 with the LSiM's?
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited April 2013
    I have a TFM-45. It will easily power any Polk speakers. You will never regret buying it. Mine's even signed by Bob himself!
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited April 2013
    By bi-wiring with the A and B channel does that equal out to 200wpc?

Nope, still 100wpc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• saganized
    saganized Posts: 59
    Howdy...I realize this is an old thread; but I have a similar question. Is a Carver TFM-35 (250 wpc into 8 ohms) sufficient? It seems to work well with my LSi15; but I'm considering the LSiM705 before the F&F Special expires Sunday. Thanks and Happy Easter y'all~
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    You'll be fine. LsiM's are easier to drive than the LSI's
  • saganized
    Ken, thanks! I'm not smart with wpc's and ohms, etc. I had worried 250 wpc might under-power the 8 ohm 705s. Reassuring to learn it would be okay...thanks again!
  • saganized
    PS for Ken, my very first Polks were RTA8t's in 1990. Loved 'em for 12 years, then got the LSi15's in 2003. Thanks again!
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    F1nut wrote: »

Nope, still 100wpc.
    Then why bi wire?
    I just bought a pair of lsim 905’s, at Amazon they’ll arrive tomorrow, hopefully.. unscathed.

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited October 2020
    warren wrote: »

Nope, still 100wpc.
    Then why bi wire?
    I just bought a pair of lsim 905’s, at Amazon they’ll arrive tomorrow, hopefully.. unscathed.
    Bi-wiring is best suited for people who already own an identical pair of speaker cables and they don’t want to just leave them lying around in a box. It gives you something to do with them so you don’t think they’re being wasted. I’ve tried bi-wiring several pairs of speakers (including the 905’s - I mean the 705’s) and have never noticed any improvement.
    Just cable up to one pair of the binding posts and a good pair of jumpers and you’ll be fine.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    warren wrote: »

Nope, still 100wpc.
    Then why bi wire?
    Bi-wiring is best suited for people who already own an identical pair of speaker cables and they don’t want to just leave them lying around in a box. It gives you something to do with them so you don’t think they’re being wasted. I’ve tried bi-wiring several pairs of speakers (including the 905’s - I mean the 705’s) and have never noticed any improvement.
    Just cable up to one pair of the binding posts and a good pair of jumpers and you’ll be fine.

I used to think the same thing until I got apogee duetta 2's bi-wiring makes a pretty substantial difference with them. Some speakers it doesn't make any difference.