BetterCables

Options
wpaules
wpaules Posts: 101
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Any body in Polkland have any experience with BetterCables biwire cables?
Post edited by wpaules on

Comments

• CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited March 2002
    Options
    BetterCables... where do I start... it really just shows you how far internet word of mouth can go.

I would stay away from their cables to be perfectly honest. They are simply using Belden wire and terminating with Cardas connectors. They are very uninspiring cables for the money. There are about 500 other web sites selling the same stuff!

If you want audio cables, stick with Kimber or IXOS. It'll cost you the same or less than BetterCables and you'll get more for your money.

Myself, I'm an IXOS user. IXOS is a British brand that uses a cable geometry similar to Kimber.

-crazyhead-
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have researched wire untill I was blue in the face,I have tested about everything on the market possible.......there is only one company that stands up,over all other brands at any price.....That is Transparent.They are the only cable that not only just sounds better then all cable's,but blows them away to the point that you can't believe that the cable's you spent your hard earned money sucked so bad.I never thought any wire could make MitMonster sigma ,Straightwire,Kimber(just to name a few)sound like poor patch cords.
    Don't take my word for it ,try for yourself.You think your Polk's sound great now?????wait untill you put some Transparent on them.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tortfsr24
    tortfsr24 Posts: 79
    edited March 2002
    Options
    These Transparent cables you were referring to:

What model do you have and how much do they cost?

I am finding it a hard pill to swallow in paying more for my cables than I did for my speakers, but I am interested in upgrading as long as you (a human with standard ears) can actually tell a difference in sound as compared with standard monster cable.

Thanks for the input, all suggestions welcomed,

Brent
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2002
    Options
    .....anyone have any hard data to prove that one cable is better than another? (other than what the manufacturer 'claims')

Not picking a fight here, I have found in my quest, that there are a ton of opinions, and little to no scientific data to PROVE one cable is better than the next. Very high placebo affect here.

I think this is an area where one can quickly reach a point of deminishing return. You might notice a difference between some 24awg lamp cord, and a $50 set of say MIT Terminator 5, but I personally would not consider spending a good chunk of change. Tweeks are fun, but before you drop hundreds on cables, take a look at your source, your cd, your amp, your pre, etc...money better spent if you ask me.

The one thing I can say about moderately priced cables, is that they look cool.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    If you go to a Transparent dealer they will let you take home a set to test. Go to www.transparentcable.com to find a local dealer. The only price I'm sure of is the ‘Reference XL’ which is a little over $1000. a foot. Kinda like Russ said you need the right equipment before this cable will be worth the price. They have 4 different types of speaker cables the XLs are next from the top of the line. With cable some hear a difference an some don't, everyone has their own opinion on it. Go with what your ears tell you IMO.
    Chris :)
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    chris, what are you running on your transparents??? just curious...

they look like damn serious cables.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I use the Music link interconnect's.All video is transparent(small difference there but enough to notice).Speaker wire I tested my Monster cable M1.4 biwire 300.00 permade to Transparent music wave speaker wire with the brick on it.Night and day difference.The music seemed to be more detailed,fuller,and also seemed to have more sound in the music as well as air between Instruments.I sold my M1.4s to a friend of mine.I can't believe the difference.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Martin Logans. They really make some awsome cable.
    Chris :)
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    ML's, nice! ascents? odysseys? you have any pics. of your set-up? i'd be interested in seeing them. email me if you do...:)