ouch!! darn surround speaker right in the head

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited June 2004 in Speakers
I was walking around the corner Saturday morning with a sponge in my hand. I was just about to wash the tile floor in the basement living room (i.e. Home Theater). I was looking down at the floor, not paying attention. BAM! I walked right into the right side surround speaker. My forehead konked the darn thing so hard, it shifted on the wall, but fortunately did not fall down. I, on the other hand, did fall down. Right on my ****. Plop. It didn't really hurt, but it stunned me for a moment. As soon as I realized what had happened, I look up at the speaker to see it still hanging on the wall, at an obscure angle.

As I sat there rubbing my head, I just kept thinking about the BANG sound that I had just created. I was in a daze......

Now, a couple days later, I've got a little knot on my forehead. It hurts now. Fortunately, it is under my hair, so you can't see it.

So, has anyone else bashed their head into their surround speakers? We could call it "surroundspeakeritis" or something stupid like that.

BONK...
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited June 2004
    nope not that but :

stub the toe on the sub and bent over the receiver for long time hooking up and can't get up straight anymore
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2004
    when first mouting my new FXi30's to the wall in my old apartment I somehow managed to drop one of them while it was above me. luckily for the speaker I managed to catch it *with my face* breaking the fall and coming to rest on my left arm.

I had a pretty big bloody gash on my nose and left arm from the corner of the speaker. lucky for me the scar on my nose went away but it looks like the one on my arm is here to stay. it will serve as a reminder for me to be more careful when putting speakers up on the wall :D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2004
    When I had replace my TINY little Infinity BU-2 sub with the Polk PSW1200, I had put the Inifinity on one of my weight benches. I had to go into that corner a week or so later and bumped it and watched it falling......almost slow motion.

It landed right on the driver and I heard the woofer ripping as I was contorted trying to get at the server I had running.......

I still haven't replaced that driver......don't even wanna look at the lil ****.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2004
    F the driver, sell me the plate amp, I could use it on sub project in the works.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited June 2004
    HA HA HA HA HA...............................

Only rookies drop speakers on themselves. You guys kill it dead.

Hey Russ,
    Still trying to outdo the manufacturers, huh? How much DIY stuff have you wasted your time on now?

It's nice to see that years later you all are still talking about the same stuff.
    So I heard most everyone has graduated from Carver and Harmon Kardon to a little better stuff. :)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2004
    My favorite groupie! How ya doing these days douchebag? Long time no see, eh?

Outdoing manufacturers? Nah, just using the creative side of my brain, learning through doing, and just plain having fun. I know that doesn't quite rank up there with opening receiver boxes and programming remotes, but a guy can dream can't he?

Not much graduating, of course things always change though. I think 'finding your sound' or 'evolution' would a better choice of words. I still have Carver rocking my SRS 2's , and some Vintage HK tube stuff that would knock your socks off. How about you?

Still have the one McIntosh peice on the floor, not hooked up? How about the Yammie receiver and In-walls? THAT was a bitchin' setup, and the hot pink carpet really set it off, you know?

Keep practicing bud, it's the only way to get to Carnegie Hall.

Love you,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    F the driver, sell me the plate amp, I could use it on sub project in the works.

Cheers,
    Russ

ask and you shall receive... If you want I have the plate amp from my PSW350 you can have.

I believe it is 150watts.

let me know.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2004
    Russ,

you probably don't want either of those plate amps, they will most likely have some equalization and driver protection circuits in them. I emailed Ken about using the plate amp from my PSW450 for my DIY sub and he said it wouldn't be a good idea... unless of course you know how to disable the features on the amps of course...

Just an FYI...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • liv4fam
    edited June 2004
    I still have Carver rocking my SRS 2's , and some Vintage HK tube stuff that would knock your socks off. How about you?

Really?? Vintage HK huh?? I bet that sounds amazing. Nobody puts together thrift store systems like you, bud.

So I hear you started your own e-business? What was it.........junk dealer.............or I mean Used Stereo Dealer. How is that working out for ya? Sell any killer two-channel systems yet.

Boy, I am soooo glad that we became a Polk Dealer again because now I get to come in here read about all the infinite wisdom about how to buy parts from Parts Express and make concrete subwoofers that some how are better than all manufacturers subs and I get to learn how to put Braid and ends on IXOS and liberty wire and MAGICALLY it sounds better.

I am looking forward to hearing all the wonderful DIY projects that are going on.

After all I am only a uneducated box opener/programmer that doesn't know anything about Home Audio...........Right Russ??

:p
  • gmorris
    edited June 2004
    liv4fam,

I've been on this forum for 1 year now, and this is the first I've seen you post. Seeing as how long you've been registered, I can only assume you simply haven't visited here in a long time.

My question is, are you just being sarcastic about DIY'ers or are you cracking wise?

I think you are just giving Russ a good natured ribbing, and for that I would congratulate you.

I am also a fellow DIY'er, having built my own subwoofer and equipment rack.

What's the deal?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2004
    He's a troll, but a funny one. He'll pop in once or twice a year or so, and try to get my (and others) **** hairs up. Doesn't work, but the entertainment value is astronomical.

He used to (not sure if he still does) work with Dan. I think Dan (mantis) has even distanced from him a bit.

He actually does have some knowledge about home a/v, but I'll be damned if he would actually share any of it. As far as liv4fam is concerned, he's right, you're wrong - period. His rig is the best, yours sucks - period. He's kind of like a **** that won't flush - mildly annoying, but otherwise harmless.

Like I said, the entertainment value is HUGE though. Search his ID for posts, sit down with a 6'er, and have some good laughs.

If you call Fisher tube amps / tuners, HK Citation series (tube), vintage McIntosh tube / ss gear, vintage JBL, Spendor, Polk SDA, Golden Tube Audio, Melos, Thorens, etc etc junk, then yeah. I'm a junk dealer. Matter of fact, I'm listening to the Sanford and Son theme RIGHT now.

Hell, I even have some Def Tech sitting around, doesn't that give me at least ONE approval point from you, oh great one?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by gmorris
    What's the deal?
    He's genuinely a ****, and will take pride in telling you so basically.

He believes that DIY's are idiots and anyone not subscribing to the ideology that a manufacturers product is gold doesn't have a clue.

He's an installer that preaches that his word/opinion is the only right way and he automatically knows what's best for you.

Basically, just take him with a grain of salt..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • liv4fam
    edited June 2004
    Gmorris,

Russ and I have our little past, hell maybe it's a relationship. So most of my attention get's directed towards him.

Isn't that right Cocoa Pebbles???? How about Tooty Fruity???

Anyways, I am interested to hear about DIY and what are the pros and cons of building your own stuff. I just deal with manufacturers stuff everyday being that I am a Custom Installer for Tweeter Etc.

I am all for saving money so if people can build certain things and be better or at least as good as a companies product I would love to try.

Let me here your experiences with DIY.

Especially you Russ.:p
  • gmorris
    edited June 2004
    Well, I built a subwoofer for myself (search the forum, there are numerous th'ds about it) for about $200.

It sounds as good as any sub you could buy at CC or BB or probably even tweeter (never been to a tweeter, only guessing). Now I'm not saying it is an audiophile masterpiece, or a plaster cracker or anything, but for $200 it will beat the pants off of a store bought $200 sub.

Check out my system showcase. I am an everyday, average Joe. My fiancee & I built our home theater from the ground up (literally, we poured a new layer of concrete in the basement). I am very happy with the way it turned out.
  • liv4fam
    edited June 2004
    If you call Fisher tube amps / tuners, HK Citation series (tube), vintage McIntosh tube / ss gear, vintage JBL, Spendor, Polk SDA, Golden Tube Audio, Melos, Thorens, etc etc junk, then yeah. I'm a junk dealer. Matter of fact, I'm listening to the Sanford and Son theme RIGHT now.

That is awesome. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I never heard anybody call Fisher Vintage. Man, I really put my foot in my mouth that is some serious stuff you are carrying.

What JBL do you call Vintage?? Synthesis Systems??? What about the MAC any MC 240's????

I heard you have a website. Let me see it. Maybe you have something I would like to buy as I have to revamp my whole system anyways.

I have had all crap the past year and I want to get rid of it because it sucks for music.

I have Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Sony DVPNS900V
    Mits 46" RPTV
    TIVO
    HD CABLE
    XBOX
    PS2
    Gamecube
    Monster HTS5000
    Transparent Interconnects

Maybe we can trade for some of your Vintage stuff.

Send me a link.

I am serious about the DIY. I want to hear how well it can be done.
  • liv4fam
    edited June 2004
    Gmorris,

Alright I will check it out.:)
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2004
    I also built my own sub for around $250, it gives my Polk PSW450 a beat down!

links to the sub project at my web page:

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/tryrrthg/
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2004
    How can Fisher not be vintage? I'm talking about the tube amps and tuners from the 50's and 60's, if that's not vintage, what is?

JBL's? Most recently, a pair of Lancer 77, Decade 26, L88's (fore runner to the Century 100, same drivers, same cab), a pair of D123 12" full range drivers, and a pair of 15" D2220H woofs (just sold last night for $335).

McIntosh? Two 6100 pre/main amps, a 2100 amp, and an MX-112 Tuner/pre off the top of my head.

The crem-de la-crem this week though has been a Marantz Ninteen. Talk about rare and cool.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • liv4fam
    edited June 2004
    Oooooh...............I was confused. I thought you said Vintage not prehistoric.

So you do half Vintage parts and half whole working equipment.

Do you have a Mcintosh MR-78 Tuner??? Classic not Vintage.

I guess I like Classics.

Here let me explain.

I will use a car analogy.

A 1970 Chevy Chevelle. (CLASSIC)

A 1967 Chevy Corvette (CLASSIC)

A 1971 Ford Mustang (CLASSIC)

A 1960 Chevy Apache (VINTAGE)

A 1960 Chevy Corvair (VINTAGE)

A 1960 Ford Falcon (VINTAGE)

Just my opinion.

Keep trying kid.:p
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2004
    That's fine and dandy, if we were talking about cars.

Hey, I'm not going to try and beat it into your head what's classic / vintage and worth looking in to. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather you NOT show interest in vintage gear - it leaves more pickings for me and the rest of the guys that care about sound, not name dropping or that new car smell (since you are fond of car analogies).

Those that don't know, don't know they don't know.

I can only show you the door, I can't make you walk through it - but I can help you slam your head against the doorjam on the way.

Crackpot.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2004
    WOW,
    seems like old times.Shame Troy isn't around for this one.It's mild now but I feel the heat.

F1 and Hbomb should be chimming in soon for this...Where ATC at???
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gmorris
    edited June 2004
    Crap, I didn't mean for this to happen.

I just wanted to share my funny story about smacking my bean into the speaker.

Please, no fighting.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2004
    I am a Custom Installer for Tweeter Etc.
    So you get to pick which shelf everything goes on?

Crackpot.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by mantis
    WOW,
    seems like old times.Shame Troy isn't around for this one.It's mild now but I feel the heat.

F1 and Hbomb should be chimming in soon for this...Where ATC at???

Big dumb is busy with with a lot of stuff these days so I'll jump in since called out.

Liv4Crap has missed the spirit of what this hobby is about. There are many cases in which the DIY effort comes real close to spending 4 times over for a product. That said, old gear for less can do the same and that is what Russman is about and is sharing freely.

There are many alternatives outside of buying new if you only take the time. Time is key and those that don't know spend cash foolishly!

The big problem for the tweeter guys with DIY and vintage gear is that there is no install fees from the ignorant trying to catch up :(

1/2Twin;)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2004
    well now this seems like a diy thread but what the hell, brett inspired me with his slow motion thing.

one time my big **** dog was runnin around the house and managed to clip one of my rti70's as he ran out of my room and i watched it start falling in slow motion. luckily for me i acted before i could even think and before i knew it i dove forward and caught my speaker before it fell into the wall. the fall would have dented the cab for sure.

another time i was rearranging my room and my cs245i accidently fell off my tvlanding on the hard wood floor. but lucky me again, the 14 awg monster cable was still hooked to the back and the corner of the speaker landed on it perfectly, cutting the wire but not even scratching the cab. i was so happy that my speaker cable saved my speaker.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by liv4fam

After all I am only a uneducated box opener/programmer that doesn't know anything about Home Audio...........Right Russ??

:p

You know what? When you're right, you are absolutely right!

Rotel? I thought you had the B&K when Mantis had Rotel. Now he has B&K and you have Rotel. Hhhhmm?

I'm glad I'm happy with the stuff I buy. Oh wait, I guess that's because I buy things that sound good. If I want bells and whistles I'll invest in cow sports. If I want something that will be outdated the day I buy it and loose 30% of my investment accordingly, well....., to be honest I guess a new computer would be almost close but I never gave this investment theory much thought. *But rest assured* that if I ever want to buy something that will be outdated, have all the newest features (after all friends ARE important), probably NEVER be a classic (and probably not make vintage), all for the sake of owning it, I assure you that I will get in touch. I'll need you to hook it up though. While I know that I live in this house and listen to all 3 independent systems daily, I have a feeling that you would know better. After all, if not, why would you make so much money doing it. I'll even throw in a pack of blades and haul away your recycling. Just make sure to leave me the manual since I'm sure that I'll get confused by all the techno mumble-jumble after you're gone.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited June 2004
    What was it Russ said a while back that I had in my sig for a long time?

Russ: You sir ARE a f*cking moron!

He said that to LIv4fam btw...lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.