Lack of power?

38Fountain
38Fountain Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an Alpine head unit CDA9886M with 6 pre outs, using the one marked SW into a Polk PA D4000.4 bridged into 2 Polk MM1040 subs they are not very loud, I checked the polarity on the subs and tried every setting but, you can stand right next to them and talk to the person next to you...... any thoughts? at 400 watts to each bridged they sound way under powered.
Post edited by 38Fountain on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2013
    400 watts isn't that much. I think you're expecting too much. That'll be enough for good solid bass but it will NOT be enough to drown out your conversation.

But yeah, check your settings to make sure you're playing the right frequencies thru them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 38Fountain
    edited March 2013
    Settings: Stereo, switch on BPF, LPF switch out, LPF knob about 100hz, level between 3v and 200mv. Head unit: sub level and bass level at max. I cant say there is even a solid thud, more of a rumble. I have a 400 watt audiobahn with a single 12 that sounds 10 times as loud and more solid hooked to a factory radio.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2013
    I know you said you checked it, but try reversing the polarity on one of the subs and see what happens.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2013
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Hopefully not this! LOL

[video=youtube_share;N7XG1TBXlBk]http://youtu.be/N7XG1TBXlBk[/video]

If that happens, you did something drastically wrong...haha
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 38Fountain
    edited March 2013
    I just hooked up an AudioBahn A4002T rated at 100 watts per channel, it's only a 2 channel amp. It sounds
    WAAAAAAAY louder and clearer. While I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm beyond making a mistake, I've been a Honda technician for 21 years, my specialty is electrical. I've tried 2 of these PAD4000.4 amps with the same result.... pulling out what little hair I have left.
  • 38Fountain
    edited March 2013
    WOOHOO...... IT WORKS!
    the problem was the instructions, or should I say, the lack of instructions. While the instructions do show you what is printed right on the amp, it does not elaborate on any of the settings when connecting 2 bridged subs. As per the instructions, used FRONT inputs,set to stereo, BPF, adjusted levels...... only on the FRONT side, NOWHERE does it tell you to set the adjustments for REAR. A little less information on the obvious and, a little more on the details would be a better manual