MAC OSX users

Options
audiocr381ve
audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
I've been using iTunes with the nifty little Bitperfect app to play my apple lossless files. This may be an old discussion but I recently discovered Audirvana Plus and am finding that it sounds better than iTunes. The music just seems to flow better, better detail, and all around just smoother. They utilize their iZotope 64-bit SRC converter and so far it seems like it's the real deal. What's really cool about Audirvana is that you can integrate it with iTunes. It's $49 but I'm enjoying the trial and may end up purchasing it when my times up.

My system is iMac - Keces DAC - Pass B1 Buffer (pre) - Parasound HCA-750a - Polk Monitor 5 Series II speakers

I'd love to know what audio players you guys are using with the Mac OSX and why.
Post edited by audiocr381ve on

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Squeezebox Touch here... just because I don't know any better?

Endershadow will probably jump in with some good information, as I believe he uses iTunes
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I've tried what I'd consider to be the 4 main options out there, although there are more (BitPerfect, Amarra HiFi, Auddirvana Plus, Decibel).

- BitPerfect was the first thing I tried and it's certainly worth $5. It can be more dynamic, but can sound a bit harsh at times in comparison to the others. It's a great start, but my least favorite of the bunch.
    - Decibel is great for playing flac files but doesn't integrate with iTunes. The sound quality is great but iTunes integration is nice
    - Amarra and Audirvana Plus are my two favorites, and both integrate with iTunes well. Most times I"m hard pressed to hear a difference between the two.

One thing about BitPerfect that's nice is that I don't have to mess with my audio setup. When using Amarra or Audirvana I have to go in and change my audio device to my DAC and then go change it afterwards if I want to go back to using my Mac speakers, BitPerfect handles that automatically.
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I have only used itunes. I need to try Audirvana Plus
  • bklynNupe
    bklynNupe Posts: 728
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Great question!
    I'm using Pure Music on my Mac mini . I don't know how to really tweak the settings to possibly ito it's fullest potential. I wish ther was a online tutorial on how to get the most out it.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2013
    Options
    bklynNupe wrote: »
    Great question!
    I'm using Pure Music on my Mac mini . I don't know how to really tweak the settings to possibly ito it's fullest potential. I wish ther was a online tutorial on how to get the most out it.
    There is , call the company and speak to the owner , he is more then willing to log into your computer and set everything up for you.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.