Anyone isolate their subs? Any honest difference?

MalVeauX
MalVeauX Posts: 45
Hey folks,

Was wondering if isolating your subwoofers, or your towers for that matter (like M70's), honestly make a difference in overall sound. I've played around and had a speaker rattle on some tile floors, but also had nothing happen on some carpet. So I'm wondering if there's an honest difference when putting your sub (or towers) on an isolated riser both on carpet and on hard surface (tile, wood, etc). Curious as to hear some honest opinions, not theory, about how the sound changed, if at all. Especially interested if you have several subs going at once, and on isolation.

Looking at getting a few of these.

Very best,
Post edited by MalVeauX on

Comments

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2013
    I use large cones under my subs. Made a HUGE difference compared to them sitting on the carpet or on rubber feet. Bass became more pronounced and tight. Not to mention that decoupling subs from the floor stopped a few things from rattling.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2013
    Yes.

I first had my Epik Valor on my bare hardwood floor - then tried the exact same SubDude.

Bass tightened up.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited February 2013
    Looking at getting a few of these.

I use those under my subs and they do make a difference. Anything you can do to decouple them from the floor will be an improvement. What Viper describes is exactly what I discovered when placing my subs on a SubDude.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    I have a sub that is not flush with the carpet and 1/2" padding under it (so already a lot over the wood floor there). The sub rests on a thin front length ridge and has a kind of hard rubber foot on the back so it sits like a tripod on the carpet (most of it, NOT making contact). This certainly decouples it from the floor in general and causes less of a problem with floor vibrations and secondary effects.

As for towers. I really don't find that it's necessary to do much with M-70s, they already have their own feet which pretty much keep the bottom from touching the ground?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited February 2013
    I noticed a dramatic improvement from isolating via spikes. I have not tried a subdude but the spike effect was immediate and dramatic. Deeper harder hitting bass instantly. Based on this experience I will never have a driver enclosure, of any kind, with out spikes. I would speculate that the subdude does a good job of taking place of spikes. I do not think both would be necessary, though I don't think it would hurt.

I have front firing, front slot ported subs. I am sure the subdude would work better on down firing subs.
    Too much **** to list....
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited February 2013
    I was iffy on the idea of the Subdude, but bought one just out of curiosity to throw under my SVS 20-39CS+ since it was sitting directly on carpet over concrete. Without changing anything else, the effect was immediately noticeable, especially with mid-bass. I was afraid it was going to be one of those placebo effect type tweaks... but it totally worked for me.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • MalVeauX
    edited February 2013
    Heya,

Thanks guys; sounds like it may just be worth while. I have two subs currently in my 7.2 setup, and they have little feet under them, but they still have contact to the tile and I think it may just be worth it to throw them on some isolated risers like SubDude and see how that goes.

Very best,
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    edited February 2013
    I was iffy on the idea of the Subdude, but bought one just out of curiosity to throw under my SVS 20-39CS+ since it was sitting directly on carpet over concrete. Without changing anything else, the effect was immediately noticeable, especially with mid-bass. I was afraid it was going to be one of those placebo effect type tweaks.. but it totally worked for me.

Hmmm, carpet over concrete for me too. Might need to try one under my 25-31PC+
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited February 2013
    I use the Aurelex Subdude under both my subs. They made a remarkable difference even though I am already on carpet. Well worth the investment. http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2013
    I have done it both ways and have mixed feelings about doing so. In some rooms the subs perform better with no Isolation as they send force into the floor and create a very cool experience. This is good for rooms with basements underneath. Rooms with hard wood floor I like to decouple the sub as it usually sounds better with more pressure. Not always though.
    In room that are on a slab , I have not found any benefits as the concrete underneath seems to work very well. Good padding and rug all are good for subwoofer performance.
    Honestly the best performance out of a sub is to first off have 2 , then have good placement , then a proper calibration.
    It's a good way to experiment , I suggest buying them and really paying attention to IF it changes the sound for the better or does nothing. They don't cost a lot so no reason not to give them a try.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Cuchulain
    Cuchulain Posts: 66
    edited February 2013
    My sub is on hardwood and I put some of those felt floor saving pads under the feet and I prefer the sound and lack of vibration. Just been listening to music though, I've yet to test it in movie mode.
    AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
    TV: LG 50PS70
    DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
    MAINS: Polk RTiA7
    CENTER: Polk CSiA6
    Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
    SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
    REARS: Polk R1
    SUB: Polk PSW 125
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited February 2013
    I use the Aurelex Subdude under both my subs. They made a remarkable difference even though I am already on carpet. Well worth the investment. http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp

Same here... many people gripe about $50 for a piece of foam, but it is worth it, or make your own. I can still feel the sub, important to note, to run your Audessy or what ever after isolating.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited February 2013
    Is this method better than spiking your subwoofer? Wouldn't you lose some bass energy/accuracy from the lack of rigidity in the base?
  • MalVeauX
    edited February 2013
    Heya,

So I picked up two subdude HD's and they're under my two front 12's now on tile. First thing I noticed was that the rattles are gone. There used to be some obvious rattles from various places in the room/house when these were turned up to moderate listening volumes. No more rattles. For that alone, worth it. Sound is tight and doesn't seem as boomy anymore. Sub-bass still digs deep.

Very best,
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited February 2013
    My DSW550 is on a laminate floor over concrete. I used a rubberized ventilated material that comes in rolls and is used as non-slip backing on hardwood floors for area rugs. It was a product I already had on hand and it produced similar results to what Mal had mentioned, tightened things up, cut down on the room rattles and wasn't as boomy. Oh, and stopped the sub dancing too. All very unscientific but it seems to work well.
  • amgala
    amgala Posts: 111
    edited February 2013
    I just ordered two SubDudes for my two PSW505's. The SubDudes should be delivered today so I'll post back with my findings also
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC
    Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
    Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
    AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
  • amgala
    edited February 2013
    MalVeauX wrote: »
    Heya,

So I picked up two subdude HD's and they're under my two front 12's now on tile. First thing I noticed was that the rattles are gone. There used to be some obvious rattles from various places in the room/house when these were turned up to moderate listening volumes. No more rattles. For that alone, worth it. Sound is tight and doesn't seem as boomy anymore. Sub-bass still digs deep.

Very best,

This is what I'm hoping for with my SubDudes, so we shall see!
  • amgala
    edited February 2013
    Wow, the SubDude is amazing! Just as others have said, it has clean up the bass significantly, and reduced rattling of nearby items.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2013
    amgala wrote: »
    Wow, the SubDude is amazing! Just as others have said, it has clean up the bass significantly, and reduced rattling of nearby items.

Great! Glad to hear you had positive results.
    :cheesygrin:
    Now......how else can we help spend your money????

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • amgala
    edited February 2013
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Great! Glad to hear you had positive results.
    :cheesygrin:
    Now......how else can we help spend your money????

Haha there will always be something. An XPA-5 maybe? :twisted:

I have been considering buying a better center channel. This is my first real surround system and I didn't realize how much emphasis the center channel has. I wish I got lower model Monitors for my rears and spent the extra money on a better center!