Auto Insurance - GEICO or Progressive

Options
2»

Comments

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2013
    Options
    whatever you choose, if you need to cancel it make sure they know, i neglected to do so and now USAA has sent me a bill for 1700 to pay out my policy
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited January 2013
    Options
    but honestly for me having an agent isn't that big of a deal (I may change my tune if I ever have to go thru a claims process).

Thats what I thought at first, but honestly its been nice to have a single point of contact for all my questions. We meet once a year to discuss our limits, life insurance, etc and make sure we aren't paying for too much or not enough coverage.

That and I can email him directly through Statefarm.com if I have a question as well and there is none of this, well person A told me X while person B told me Y since its all in the same office.

But as stated I am a bit biased :biggrin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • goofyGAguy
    goofyGAguy Posts: 545
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ^^^ Douchebag reported.
    My humble setup...

...is no more. :cry:
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ....State FARM

....Not necessarily MONEY savvy. I do like a company were rates go down most years. I have home owners and car thru same company.

....Never a claim but a few road service charges for free due too towing local.
  • KellyMic
    KellyMic Posts: 166
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have had zero issues with Geico, they have been great and no rate hikes.
    ---
    Polk Studio Monitor 4.6 Series 2's, Polk RT1000p's, Polk LSi25's, Boston Acoustic VR-975's
    Crown D-75, Crown CE1000, Crown CE2000
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Allstate has continually raised our rates term over term for the past 5 years, with no accidents or tickets at all during that time period. It's really odd, but that's where we're at. I've been looking around, and GEICO and Progressive are both considerably cheaper than what we're paying now. If this was a few bucks a month I wouldn't bother, but we're talking $500 - $600 a year here, and actually for better coverage, on paper at least.

That last part is easy enough to compare, I can compare coverage amounts and all that and make sure I"m getting an equivalent or better policy, easy enough. I've also read reviews online, and both of these companies seems to be well liked overall, and in fact fared even better than Allstate.

So on paper and in reviews these companies both seem ok, but are there any other factors or 'gotchas' that I haven't though of?

Anyone have experience with either or both, or have another alternative that I should be looking at?

I have worked with all the Insurance Co.'s for over 20yrs and We have Erie Ins. and are happy with them. We haven't had any claims but I have done plenty work for them and they are a good strong Co.. StateFarm has some good points in that they require only factory replacement parts to be used on their auto claims (no aftermarket). I know for a fact that StateFarm is not an Ins. claim repair that shops want to see come in their shop because of their Estimates and business practices towards the shop as a result they are always being sued by shops and loosing everytime (but that is another story). Allstate also has bad business practices for the shop and policy holder, again another story. Progressive's insurance base is really for the person who is a High Risk person. Gieko is a smaller Co. that is about avarage not good or too bad. Liberty Mutual is a good Co. but the adjusters are about as dumb as a box of rocks. StateAuto, forget it, don't even bother.
    Make sure all coverage $ numbers match each other when compairing quotes and check thier parts usage (new OEM, used, aftermarket/generic).

If you have any other questions PM me & I will try and help.

Dave
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Had to sue Progressive for damages in an accident that was not my fault. I won...... so my opinion is they suck.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yes Amica!
    Don't forget that nice dividend check you get every year and the payments stretched over 10 months no fee!
    If you can get them, in Pearland or on Mars but not on Uranus:biggrin:
    F1nut wrote: »
    Check out Amica.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • foselamaz
    foselamaz Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Allstate, GEICO, and progressive are all good, but not that cheap. if ur looking for bare minimum coverage at a cheap rate, i think u should look elsewhere. usaa has consistently been the cheapest in the country, but it's only for military members. for the rest of the population, 4autoinsurancequote has been advertising $35/month liability coverage here on the radio. might wanna google them and check 'em out.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited January 2014
    Options
    nice spam @sshat.
    Reported.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have worked with all the Insurance Co.'s for over 20yrs and We have Erie Ins.
    Dave

So do I. They saved me tons of coin on auto and homeowners. Even covered emergency care for the dog up to 5g's.

Erie can offer lower rates because they don't go into higher risk areas like the east or west coast, southern portions with hurricanes and such. As we all know, insurance companies cost share. So if the same company is insuring earthquake claims, hurricane claims, all others will see rate increases over time so they recoup those expenditures. Like every business model, you have to take in more than you push out. Erie makes that formula more viable, less volatile, less dependent on natural disasters by staying out of those areas.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited January 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Erie can offer lower rates because they don't go into higher risk areas like the east or west coast, southern portions with hurricanes and such. As we all know, insurance companies cost share. So if the same company is insuring earthquake claims, hurricane claims, all others will see rate increases over time so they recoup those expenditures. Like every business model, you have to take in more than you push out. Erie makes that formula more viable, less volatile, less dependent on natural disasters by staying out of those areas.

Tony, they how come they offer insurance in the "disaster" that is the state of IL :wink: :biggrin: :mrgreen:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have had Geico for 10+ years. Their customer service is great... you always feel like they are on your side. Online access for adds moves and changes is great. Have only had windshield issues, and they handled them perfectly.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Tony, they how come they offer insurance in the "disaster" that is the state of IL :wink: :biggrin: :mrgreen:

That's a different kind of "disaster" Dan....LOL !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Eocuph
    Eocuph Posts: 75
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I had progressive for over 5 years and have no complaints. Every 6 months my insurance rate drops a bit.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2014
    Options
    With Allstate I had a hail storm hit the area, $25K damage to the house. No questions asked, no hassle. With that said I've heard of some very unhappy people with them. And yes, they do keep raising their rates. Back when I had nationwide I had to keep calling the agent over and over again to get details of the policy corrected, which later would become incorrect again. One year the agent "forgot" to send some repair pics to the main office and my house was not covered for a whole year. The only way I caught on was the mortgage company kept calling asking for proof of insurance. Come to find out they never billed the escrow for the coverage, I wasn't insured even though the agent kept telling me I was, not to worry. Then, right after I moved I called to have the car insurance canceled and they said no problem and took my new address. They added some cancelation fee and turned it over to a collection agency, didn't even send a final bill or call!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I had Erie for 14 years......one call and 15 minutes from GEICO and I saved over $700 a year. Once I combine my homeowners, will save a little more as well. I do think that GEICO has a lower threshold to raise rates or drop you from their company but its a risk I am willing to take. I was hocked that they could save me that much coin. If I did this ten years ago, think of the stereo equipment I could have bought with those savings.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4