New Member Here - NEED Help - First Post!

Toxix
Toxix Posts: 6
edited January 2013 in Forum Testing Area
***SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT I NEED HELP***

Hey guys,

First time poster on this forum, new account and all and I NEED your help.
I'm real noob, wanting a little more than decent audio quality from my Home Theatre system.
When I say real noob, I mean real noob, I've never touched speaker wire in my life nor do I know how to fine tune these devices.

Let me tell you a little bit about my setup, I'm hoping everything I got works well with each other and the setup is "Forum approved"

Front Speakers - Polk Audio RTiA3 x2
Surround Speakers - Polk Audio RTiA1 x2
Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW110 x1

So far, it remains a 4.1, it already sounds 100x better that my Bravia TV (Of course)
I'm looking to turn this 4.1 into a 7.1 within the next year or so...

Centre Channel - Polk Audio CSiA6 x1 (Soon)
Front Towers - Polk Audio RTiA9 x2

This being said, what do you guys think of this setup? Please provide opinions!

The main reason for me posting here is because I need help picking a Receiver/Amp for my setup...I temporarily own a Yamaha receiver, but am open to other options.
With the items listed above, which would you guys go with? My options are a Yamaha 7.1 or an Onkyo 7.2...

Yamaha RX-V573 or the Onkyo TX-NR515

Yamaha:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v573_black_u/
Onkyo:
http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr515-76085.html

They are both approximately the same price.

I AM OPEN TO OTHER OPTIONS (Harman Kardon / Pioneer / Denon)

I want to make sure I give you guys all details and future goals. The setup will be mostly used for Movies, sometimes music when I friends over and such...I probably won't have any interest in adding a second sub in the near future.
I just want to make sure that the Receiver I purchase will not be underpowered for the speakers I own.

The Onkyo seems like a good route to go as it is:
7.2, has 7 HDMI In as opposed to 4 on the Yamaha

But on the other hand, I look around at Onkyos reviews, customer feedback, support forums and I keep seeing that people need to RMA the devices due to the HDMI board going bad, on more than one occasion...so right now, I'm wondering if I should return my Yamaha and trade it in for the Onkyo (Or others). I have no issues updating firmware on my devices to get everything functioning.

Please let me know, I'm open to opinions and feedback and I seeking your help!

Thank you in advance.
Post edited by Toxix on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2012
    The main problem I see in the future for you is that the RTi A9's really need a dedicated amp to sound their best. So either reciever you choosing wont work very good as they dont have pre-outs. If it was me I would honestly look at the RTi A5's or A7's if you dont plan on adding a dedicated amp (and a reciever with pre-outs). While the A9's would technically work, I dont think you would get the sound you think you would out of them, and would end up buying more speaker than your reciever can drive.

Otherwise, the center your looking at is the right choice and I dont see that being a problem at all.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2012
    Welcome to club Polk
    If you step up to the RTiA9's you are going to need an amplifier so make sure the receiver has pre-outs so you can run an amp also. Remember that if the specs say 100x5 that in surround you may only have 40-50 watts per channel max. A good 5ch amp and pre-amp will last a long time and for the most part be future proof as you can upgrade the pre if needed. While a receiver your getting a whole new receiver, but with pre-outs and a good 5ch amp will get you a good start will until the "ultra High Def" comes out:)
  • Toxix
    Toxix Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    Thank you for the responses, now I have a better understanding of how much the A9s will need.
    That being said, I f were to step down to the RTi A5 or RTi A7, which receiver should I go with?

My main concern currently is the receiver I should be going. Please let me know.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited December 2012
    Get an Onkyo, but get an 808/809 or 818. I have an 808 you can hook up an external amp if you like later, I haven't, it powers my 2.3tls special 2ch pure audio mode I like.
    The 809 is a steal IMHO :cheesygrin:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809-Certified-7-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00505F01E/ref=sr_1_47?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356679926&sr=1-47

$481.11 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://www.a1components.com/BVModules/ProductTemplates/Bvc5/Product.aspx?productid=e49d77d9-9c5b-4793-a853-26932e933d52
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • bansheesho
    bansheesho Posts: 227
    edited December 2012
    Strongly recommend not to skimp on the receiver. The 809 would be a good option. You could get thst and the rtia9 and see how you like it. If it needs more juice you always have the option to add the external amp later. Make sure you check or polks ebay store too. v You can get some great deals on the rtia9 sometimes. If you don't see it just email them, sometimes they have a pair that they haven't listed yet.

Also check out Newegg. They have super great deals on polk speakers sometimes, usually in the weekends. Check camelegg.com to see a price history to give you some idea.
    Pioneer SC-25 | Adcom GFA-555 | KEF q900 Front | KEF q600 Center | Polk Monitor 30 Rear | Polk CS2 Rear Surround | Polk DSWPRO 660wi sub
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited December 2012
    Welcome. Stick with the A9's or you may be looking back wondering. That Onkyo 809 is a flat steal at Amazon, buy it. I use 2 onkys and love 'em to death. The 809 will run your rtiA set-up and it will sound good but you will not get "hi-fidelity" until you add an external amp to drive the fronts, and you can get a used Parasound HCA2200 for 4 to 5 hundred later on. Best regards.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited December 2012
    Wow, Onkyo 809 for that price is really a steal.

Can I ask why you want to go with 7.1 setup? Do you have a room big enough to setup 7 speakers in it? I have seen some 7.1 installs where the room is so crammed with speakers, it just didn't work, and 5.1 would work perfectly in those rooms.

Regarding the external amp, to each is his own. Yes, those speakers will sound much better with the external amp, but they will sound just fine with Onkyo receiver if that's all that money can buy for now.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2012
    ViperZ wrote: »
    Wow, Onkyo 809 for that price is really a steal.

Can I ask why you want to go with 7.1 setup? Do you have a room big enough to setup 7 speakers in it? I have seen some 7.1 installs where the room is so crammed with speakers, it just didn't work, and 5.1 would work perfectly in those rooms.

Regarding the external amp, to each is his own. Yes, those speakers will sound much better with the external amp, but they will sound just fine with Onkyo receiver if that's all that money can buy for now.

I agree with this. I have a room that can do a 7.1 setup quite easily and have felt NO NEED to go 7.1. I think good 5.1 will trump a congested 7.1 setup any day of the week.

I would maybe buy a AVR that can do 7.1 but would start with a good 5.1 setup or even 3.1 and build up from there. And just because your AVR can do 7.1 doesnt mean you have to.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2012
    I'll third the onk deal, I'm still rocking the 807 from when it first came out, or at least when I got it, Dec 08. It's a heck of an AVR with lots of power in 2ch mode, I've got extra amplifiers for the "7.2" bit, and you may not want a second sub right now, but as you learn about this hobby, you will. You're off to a great start with the speakers you have.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • wkjeffers
    wkjeffers Posts: 139
    edited January 2013
    there is no substitute for power in improving the sound of your speakers. leave yourself the option of a dedicated amplifier
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited January 2013
    Look into the Pioneer Elite SC series. Should be able to get you by w/o an amp until the upgrade bug bites and you want more power...
  • MNaudioguy
    MNaudioguy Posts: 19
    edited January 2013
    Look into the Pioneer Elite SC series. Should be able to get you by w/o an amp until the upgrade bug bites and you want more power...

Would you recommend that over a Marantz 5007?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2013
    Pioneer Elite SC series are really nice, and I would go that way.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited January 2013
    MNaudioguy wrote: »
    Would you recommend that over a Marantz 5007?

Personally yes but I have no experience with the Marantz. The ICE amps in the SC do deliver the goods....
  • ssj1
    ssj1 Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    How would the RTi A9 do with a Denon 4520 (without an amp)?