Mechanical error - can't eject CD out of my DNX 5140 double din

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited January 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
My Kenwood DNX5140 played cds fine since day1.

This morning as I eject CD out to insert a different one unit starts making loud "clicking" noises like it's trying to eject the CD but nothing usefull happens, only the same noises continue for 30 seconds or so. Then noises stop and unit displays "Mecha Error" sign.

I switch to a different source (sirius) and then back to CD - cd plays fine but when trying to eject it again - same thing. Noises, Mecha error and that's it.
Re-started the units - same thing.

Anyone know how to fix it?? Or at least get CD that got stuck out?
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Kitchen butterknife to pry it out will do in a pinch.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,386
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thats it! Prob a gear in the transport is damaged, worn or could be off "track" may be repairable? Just a matter of cost vs value.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited December 2012
    Options
    My wife just told me she is has the same problem with the cd changer in her truck. Not the same brand just a coincidence.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,386
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Have jad it happen before, prob the single most typical failier in cdp's. But the butter lnife doea work .
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Started the car this morning, ipod as source was playing since it was the last source before I shut the car off.
    Few minutes later I decided to try eject button again just for the hell of it. Must be Xmas spirit lol - cd got ejected right away like nothing was ever wrong haha.

Now I'm afraid to insert another cd as I don;t know if I'll be able to it out :))
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited January 2013
    Options
    butter knife is a good option, but if your cd eject is just a tad sticky you can use another cd to slightly push in when you hit the eject, sometimes that little bit of pressure is enough to help eject the cd. I don't know why but sometimes it works better than a butter knife.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • htrdln
    htrdln Posts: 116
    edited January 2013
    Options
    my kenwood has the same issue i just hit eject and push another cd against it and it pops out
  • JosephSeed
    Options
    Hi,

I want to install a Kenwood DDX9703S head unit into my car.
    Does anyone own this Kenwood? Did anyone try to install this head unit? It's rated very high on several sites and the only "issue" I could find about it is that a legal notice always pops up when you start it.
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    Options
    It’s the eject motor. Maybe the manufacturer can service it.
    Alpine just replaced one in my 20 year old CDA9884, for 35 bux, plus shipping.