Multi-Channel Amplifier Opinion/Assistance

Thorton
Thorton Posts: 1,324
edited December 2012 in Electronics
Future amplifier upgrade assistance. So far I have been very pleased with my selection of components in my system. However, I have the upgradeitis bug. What I want to improve is: 1.) Increased output from the L/R speakers via the amp. For my taste and volume in music, I want to improve the output from the speakers without distortion or pushing the amp to hard. While my Parasound has been excellent for SQ, my needs require more power. 2.) For HT, I've decided multi channel is the route for me. Specifically adding clean power to the center channel. So as of right now I'm leaning towards Sunfire (cinema or tga) or Wyred 4 Sound. I do not have the option to demo either. I'm intrigued with the Wyred however there is not too much feedback on the amps and I'm not familiar with the Class D ICE amp sound. I do not want to go down in SQ that the Parasound is currently providing. So I'm looking for a multi-channel amp the provides quite a bit more headroom. I would appreciate any recommendations or assistance on my selections or other options.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
Post edited by Thorton on

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 2012
    What type of budget do have in mind?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited December 2012
    I'm leaning towards 5 channel. A used Sunfire is around 2K, the Wyred MC series is slightly more but are harder to find from my initial searching. I may be crazy but to satisfy the need I'd probably max less than 4K.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 2012
    There's a lot of good choices out there for your budget. A few come to mind (don't be afraid of buying used or demo's). NAD, Rotel, Emotiva, Outlaw, Parasound, d-Sonic, W4S, Anthem, B&K, Sunfire, there's more but this gives you a pretty good start. Check out audiogon for used. Visit the companies web sites to get a first hand look at their new offerings. Emotiva has a great sale going on now. They just came out with a new XPR line you might want to check out. Good luck & have some fun.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2012
    My suggestion is if you want to up your game for music, move up the speaker chain for that cash. The parrasound in 2 channel is giving those 9's everything they can swallow so power wouldn't be the best investment there. Or invest in a tubed pre amp and stop using the receiver as one. As for HT, yeah, a 5 channel amp will help some . Not sure what you mean by "louder", the 9's on that amp can reach some pretty good spl's. Sure you have your settings right with the crossover and the sub ? Tried setting the fronts to large ? Just thinking out loud dude. From where I sit, looking at your sig, you have plenty of power for the 9's especially with the sub taking on the lower end, and the rest of your speakers are pretty easy to drive so I don't see where investing a few g's in more power will up your game as much as you'd probably like.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2012
    I'm currently using a Wyred Mini MC-5 for HT and have no desire to change. Great sound, low floor noise(silent), and runs cool. It replaced a McIntosh multichannel amp and I have no regrets.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2012
    Good lord! You have a Parasound 2250 driving RTiA9s and you want more volume?

Maybe its a different sound you are looking for.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.