Michelin's,or nothing!!

Options
bobsauto49
bobsauto49 Posts: 973
edited December 2012 in The Clubhouse
2 weeks ago i put a set of Cooper CTS tire's on my wife's Lincoln MKX,P245/50R20. There was a vibration with the old junk tires,and I still had a vibration with the new Cooper's. So I rebalanced them,to no avail. I dont have an allignment rack,so I gave the vehicle to a good friend who works at a GM dealership,and asked him to "personally" allign it,as he is a super sharp and meticulous tech! He said the allignment was way off,but after,the vibration was still there! He then went out of his way,and roadforce balanced the tires! To my dismay,1 tire tested at 31lbs of roadforce,max limit is 24lbs! the other 3 tires tested at 24,24,and 23lbs! I bought the Cooper's to begin with for the price,and made in America! $390 cheaper than the Michelin's! My GM buddy said at the dealership they quit pushing Cooper Tire's about 18 month's ago! He told me to throw the cooper's in the dumpster,and buy a set of Michelin's! Well yesterday I did that,and,,,,,,,, VIBRATION GONE!!!!!! My tire company said they will give me full credit on the cooper's,but its the point of the matter that pisses me off!!! Not to mention wrestling those tires all over again!
Moral of the story; I have Michelin's on My Chev Trk,I have Michelin's on the wife's SUV,and I'll have Michelin's on the rest of my vehicles,if I can help it! Pay a little more up front,have a better product throughout,and get paid back in the end!
"Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
Post edited by bobsauto49 on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Figured you already knew the 'get what you pay for' by your audio choices (good ones!) Glad you got it figured out. Now relax and throw on some tunes.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Glad to hear you got the bottom of the problem! That is so frustrating when the vibration can be felt through the steering wheel. I'll definitely consider Michelin for my tire needs in the future.

For what it's worth, I've had good luck with Yokohama's "ENVigor" low rolling resistance tire - also made in USA.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2012
    Options
    4wd Truck or SUV = BF Goodrich All Terrain.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I have Michelin AT tires on my 92 Explorer. Second set. And they track, ride, and perform great. They are smooth as glass even at 110mph (that's as fast as it will go, downhill with a tailwind).
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,339
    edited December 2012
    Options
    jbooker82 wrote: »
    4wd Truck or SUV = BF Goodrich All Terrain.
    This is my favorite "looking" tire out there. Whitewall lettering, good grip and tread pattern and they make your truck look sexy. Problem is, I can only get 27-30,000 miles off of them before they look rather worn and in need of replacement. No thanks. I'll stick with my 10-ply Bridgestone V-Steel tires. With the BF Goodrich, it seemed that I'd constantly get a flat as soon as I hit one nail. With the Bridgestone 10-ply, I have literally pulled into the tire shop with 7 nails in my tires that had been there for months but like the Energizer bunny, I just kept going. They had been in there for at least 40,000 miles and decided that I needed new tires after 70,000 and the kicker is, they cost less than the BFG's

Many of the family members use Michelin and I can attest that those are very good tires as well. Good grip, well made, long lasting and dependable.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It's what really works for the vehicle that matters here. Glad to hear you found some good tires. New tires on a vehicle is beautiful especially when you have been riding around on worn out ones for a while. It's like getting a new car/truck.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I've been using Cooper tires on my trucks for 20+ years and have never had a problem. You can get a defective tire from any brand, yes even Michelin.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Not to brand bash, while Michelins are a good tire, IMO after owning many sets of tires, they are overrated and overpriced. You pay dearly for the name and there are several other brands that are as good or better for a LOT less money.

But many times there is comfort in buying into the ginormous advertising campaign that makes one think there can't possibly be any other tire out there that is good enough.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2012
    Options
    That's what we have always had on our family cars!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I like Conti and Pirelli tires myself...

I'll never put another set of GoodYear or Bridgestone tires on my cars ever again. Honestly, I've never run on a Michelin tire...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I've never had a better tire on my trucks than the michelin ltx. They're not great if you're towing heavy loads with them (on a light duty truck/suv, you're fine) but they last forever and have amazing grip. They're expensive yes, but the one time they keep you from a wreck, they more than made up for the difference.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ErasmusBDragon
    ErasmusBDragon Posts: 113
    edited December 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Not to brand bash, while Michelins are a good tire, IMO after owning many sets of tires, they are overrated and overpriced. You pay dearly for the name and there are several other brands that are as good or better for a LOT less money
    H9

Too true.
    Replaced mine with Hankook- good tires
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Too many tire are made offshore and the quality suffers. Yes, i'll pay more for Michelin.
    Too many other brands are spotty. One tire in the lineup is ok, another is crap.
    I've had too many problems with anything from Firestone to ever go there for another tire.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited December 2012
    Options
    In the past, I worked for a company that made the tire testing equipment that used used in the tire factories. Each machine tested about a million tires a year, that's 3 tires a minute and almost 24 x 7.
    Back then a knowledgeable person would know what tires were made in what factory and which factories made good tires. But now tires are made in a lot more factories in a lot more countries and brand names mean a lot less.
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I just did a quick check, Akron Ohio based Goodyear Tire makes passenger tires in at least 7 countries and General Tire makes passenger tires in 9 countries.
  • potee
    potee Posts: 610
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I like my coopers. They hold pressure good and track very true. I travel from Tampa to Navarre several times a year with the cruise
    set on 78 MPH and never had a problem or a vibration.
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Michelins are the only way to go !!!
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Vette C6.r wrote: »
    Michelins are the only way to go !!!
    I totally agree. Actually they are cheaper in the long run compared to other brands.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2012
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    This is my favorite "looking" tire out there. Whitewall lettering, good grip and tread pattern and they make your truck look sexy. Problem is, I can only get 27-30,000 miles off of them before they look rather worn and in need of replacement. No thanks. I'll stick with my 10-ply Bridgestone V-Steel tires. With the BF Goodrich, it seemed that I'd constantly get a flat as soon as I hit one nail. With the Bridgestone 10-ply, I have literally pulled into the tire shop with 7 nails in my tires that had been there for months but like the Energizer bunny, I just kept going. They had been in there for at least 40,000 miles and decided that I needed new tires after 70,000 and the kicker is, they cost less than the BFG's

Many of the family members use Michelin and I can attest that those are very good tires as well. Good grip, well made, long lasting and dependable.

Tom

I havent had any problems with mine. I have had 2 sets of 33x12.5x15's on my 1989 F150 and get around 50k miles. It is real good for an oversized all terrain tire on the pavement. They work really well in the snow, and carry the sever winter rating.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited December 2012
    Options
    On my work truck, I'm running Firestone tires, have about 40k miles on them. Haven't had a problem with them yet. On my personal are the factory Hankooks. Haven't had an issue with them either, but only about 7k miles. Previous truck has Michillan still on them at about 80k miles, or so the guy I sold it to told me. He'll replace them with Michilan again.

The only tires I've had problems with have been Goodyear. I've probably had 4 tread seperations woth them. Had a little Corrola, with 12k miles on it, and the front right tread seperated. Luckily the guy in the lane beside me also lives in the area, and slowed down, or it could have been really bad. I also noticed, on about 7 or 8 set of Goodyears that they squeek during slow speed turns, like parking lots. I actually hated the squeeks more than the tire seperations.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Funny thread. I actually switched my truck over to 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers. At 40k miles, they still have close to half the tread left on them. They drive great (as great as off road tires should), and hold air very well. I'll be buying another set for the next truck for sure.

Bridgestone is one brand I'll never go back to, complete garbage. I've had good luck with Falken and Continental too.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    edited December 2012
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    On my work truck, I'm running Firestone tires, have about 40k miles on them. Haven't had a problem with them yet. On my personal are the factory Hankooks. Haven't had an issue with them either, but only about 7k miles. Previous truck has Michillan still on them at about 80k miles, or so the guy I sold it to told me. He'll replace them with Michilan again.

The only tires I've had problems with have been Goodyear. I've probably had 4 tread seperations woth them. Had a little Corrola, with 12k miles on it, and the front right tread seperated. Luckily the guy in the lane beside me also lives in the area, and slowed down, or it could have been really bad. I also noticed, on about 7 or 8 set of Goodyears that they squeek during slow speed turns, like parking lots. I actually hated the squeeks more than the tire seperations.
    The worst tires in the world have Goodyear written all over them!
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I have tried many different tires and keep coming back to Michelins. If you know how to negioate they are no more expensive that other tires in their class.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Wifes ride came with Michelins, 73,000 miles later they still look new. Have them rotated every 10K miles. Just put a set on our sons car and I'm confident they will hold up to a 17 year old as well.

Didn't buy from there, but I think Costco has a pretty fair price on Michelin tires.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I like the Goodyear Fortera tires for my Jeep GC.
    Great handling, smooth quiet ride.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I was a big fan of Michelin until a few years ago.
    Switched from Pilot Sport to Continental ExtremeContact DWS for summer. Conti don't hold the road as precise as Pilot Sport, but for 2/3 of the price, these are great tires. Slightly softer and quieter ride.
    Switched from Pilot Sport Alpin to Dunlop WinterSport M3 for winters. Definitely better handling in snow and in the rain.
    Installed Pirelli Rosso II on the bike instead of Michelin. Not much of a difference.

There are definitely great alternatives to Michelin tires out there. Michelins are among the best (even for winters), but you're paying extra $$ for their brand name. I'll always look at Conti and Dunlop before deciding whether it's worth buying Michelin.

Have GoodYear on a new car, which we just picked up on Thursday. Haven't driven on those tires in many years, we'll see.

And definitely, definitely don't buy no-name brands, stick with well known ones. Crashed my bike two years ago, one of many things that combined and lead to crash were brand new no-name garbage tires that previous owner put on, thinking that she was doing me a favour.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room