F/Xi50 equivalent to the F/X500i - dB sensitivity?

ncstatesman
ncstatesman Posts: 145
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Was wondering, if worse comes to worse and I can't get an F/X500i, what about the FXi50 . . . is the FXi50 the direct replacment for the F/X500i?

I ask because this unit's MSRP is $100 less than the f/x500i, yet the specs look the same between the two - is the price diff due to it's being mfg'd in Mexico? . . also, the product web page doesn't give this unit's dB sensitivity.

Also would the silk tweeter on these no blend in with the 800i, 400i, and 35i's?

Thanks
Post edited by ncstatesman on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    if worse comes to worse and you need a dipole speaker, the fxi50's would be your best bet. (unless you could find some f/x1000's). the tweeter in the fxi's are supposd to sound smoother, but for the surrounds, this isn't AS critical as it is for the front soundstage. i haven't heard the new speaks, so i can't tell you from experience how different they sound...
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    I supposthe the f/x1000i might be overkill in mysystems, no?

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and pay 499 at the crutch . . . I called Sound Distributors ($379 pr) and the person their said they don't stock and they'd have to order it . . which sounds like the Brandnamez run-around. Then I called Dynamic Sounds () and they said discont'd and suggested the f/xi50.

I might pick uo the 35i's this afternoon at my local CC - website says they have it in stock . . then all that's left is to get the f/x50, 500i, or even the 1000i?
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    the f/x1000's could be overkill, but if you get everything set-up properly, they should work fine with your system. crutchfield only has the f/x500i's left in white, i called to get them, but said no thanks when they said all they had was white in stock. the rt35i's would work to, and probably even sound a little better for 5.1 music applications (if you are intending them for this). good luck...:D
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    500i white? . . That's not good, all my stuff is in black! It looks like I waited too long to on the 500i - don't know where I'm going to find them in black
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Hey Juice,

I just called the crutch and they had one pair of 500i's in black that was just returned. They said it might have a very nimor bump/blemish and that it was for sale at $425 for the pair . . so I ordered it! Normally I would balk, but I think the window of opportunity on BLACK f/x500i's is quickly vanishing, so I'll take what I can reasonably get.

The guy I talked to at crutch was really cool, he has the 55i's for fronts, 400i centerm anf f/x500i for surr and he's really pleased withhis POLK set-up - he's got them hooked up to an Onkyo 595 or 69 something - I can't recall.

I'm taking a chance here, so I really, really, hope this pair does not have any damage to the drivers, tweeters that would cause me to return them as I think this may be my last chance to get these in black. He's says all returns are fully inspected and minor electrical testing is performed . . . if returns don't pass cosmetic inspection, he says they sell them at their local retail store, since these passed, perhaps the bump on it is very unnoticeable . . . . .
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    ahhhh!!!! figures they have none when i call!!!:mad:

nice find though! i hope they are in good condition when you get them. i don't think crutchfield would send anything out that wasn't though, so you should be in good shape...
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Are you guys kidding? I love my WHITE f/x300i's! The blend with my walls and almost transparent. Ohh alright, they aren't transparent but still look good on my walls.
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Juice, when did you call? I called about 30 min ago. Would you have considered buying a returned pair at this stage of the game?
    Have you though about ordering in white and painting them black? If I have to return this pair, I may just get them in white and paint them black - I'd be afraid to do this though - would rather not do so. But as rare as the se have become, that might be the only option left
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by lax01
    Are you guys kidding? I love my WHITE f/x300i's! The blend with my walls and almost transparent. Ohh alright, they aren't transparent but still look good on my walls.

Ahhh...But the question is, what will they look like 18 months from now when they have had a chance to suck in all of those wonderful dust particles in the air and turn that wonderful yellowish brown color????

I gave in and bought my black 500i's from Crutchfield as well...None of the other places seemed to have them even if their website said they did. All of the other online retailers charge a buttload for shipping as well. So, with the $25 new customer discount and their much lower shipping charges, it only cost me $50 more than any other place...Well worth it to get better service and no worries about warranty issues down the road.
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • lax01
    edited March 2002
    rodneyat: Wonderful brown color? Naw, I keep them clean and they are still pure white after 2 months. And anyway, the only way I was going to get them was with the white color. The black ones would really stand out on my walls. Well whatever, I am going to try to upgrade them later with f/x500i's.
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    lax - can't go with whites, all my other speaks are black. i guess i'm anal, but they have to all match for me.

nc - i called a couple of days ago, i probably would have tried the returned pair if i had the chance. my girlfriend actaully suggested just buying the whites and painting them black, but i don't know about that???:rolleyes:
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited March 2002
    Juice...If it were up to me, I would rather stick with a white pair rather than a white pair painted black...Especially if you think you will upgrade them at any time and expect to ever get any money back out of them again. A paint job will kill any resale value you would ever hope to get. As JB said, they will probably stay white for a little while, but who knows how long? I would suspect that they may yellow after a while, but that is just my $.02. Of course, if it happens within the first 5 years, I would think Polk may cover that under warranty...but I have not read the fine print.
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    sorry Juice about your timing, crutch said returns w/the f/x series were rare. If it turns out that I have to return mine because the 'bump' is more noticeable than I can tolerate, orthere's some damge to the sound quality, I may get them in White and paint them black . . . I'd hate to botch it up. All my speakers are in black as well, need to keep that way!

Anyway, my local CC has 2 pairs of 35i's left ($299), I'm going to stop by and listen to them and buy them if I like them - hopefully i will. this will complete my 7.1 upgrade and hopefully, I'll b done for a few years (I hope)
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    i'm not gonna paint white f/x's black(i just couldn't bring myself to doing that), i'll just have to complain about never getting them in black before they dissapeared:D
    they will show up somewhere, sometime... hopefully ;)

congrats nc, on completing yourset-up (well, almost) but i think you are gonna like the 35i's...:D
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Thanks Juice, hopefully get the 500i's on Monday . . I need to take a day off to just set everything up! I know what you mean about not being able to pain them, especailly if you want to se;ll them later on
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    I have a pair of f/x 1000's for sale, willing to make a deal, shoot me an email.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    Juice... your like me..you need more speakers like we need a "whole in the head"...or your case another one :)
    peace out...

hehe
    thomas a.
  • bbriedis
    bbriedis Posts: 9
    edited March 2002
    Fry's Electronics in Phoenix has the FX500i's in both black and white. They are at full price of $499 a pair. You can call them and they can ship them to you. They are a POLK dealer and offer a 30 day refund. There are two stores and the phone numbers are: 602-467-2000 or 602-659-8500. I do not work for Fry's - just love the store.

Bob
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Juice,

Just saw your post that you got the F/X1000 from Russ . . . glad to hear it . . . let us know how you like it when you get a chance, love to hear all about it
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    will do! can't wait till they get here! :D
  • Dcalebaugh
    Dcalebaugh Posts: 8
    edited March 2002
    My brand new FX500i,s just arrived, or so I thought. I have had them on back order for three weeks and the ups guy just dropped off FXi50's. I figured the FX's must not be around so they sent me the FXi's. I was going to get those anyway if I coudn't get the others. Set them up and am listening to some jazz (Rippingtons) sound fine. I have yet to try a dvd but will report after I do.

Dave
  • Dcalebaugh
    edited March 2002
    My brand new FX500i,s just arrived, or so I thought. I have had them on back order for three weeks and the ups guy just dropped off FXi50's. I figured the FX's must not be around so they sent me the FXi's. I was going to get those anyway if I coudn't get the others. Set them up and am listening to some jazz (Rippingtons) sound fine. I have yet to try a dvd but will report after I do.

Dave
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    nice! can you hear a difference in that new tweeter?

ENJOY!!!:D
  • Dcalebaugh
    edited March 2002
    Having listened to te new FXi50's for about a week I now feel I am able to give an objective opinion. I have never heard the FX500i's, however I do own RT1000i's and the tweeter in the FXi 50's does sound abit softer, however none the less clear. I am pleased with the new speakers. I would reccomend them, they are a good fit for the RT1000's and my CS400i. Now I just need to get the sub. I am leaning toward the new 450 partly because I like the fact of having a complete system but am open to opinions. I say if you are waiting for the FX500i's, you will not be unhappy with the FXi's.

Dave
  • lax01
    edited March 2002
    Dcalebaugh: I have the same system you have but only the f/x300i which I would eventually want to upgrade to f/x500i's. I am glad to hear that the FXi50's will work as a substitute for the 500's.

For a sub, try the HSU Research VTF-2. $500. Absolute best sub on the market for <=$500
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by Dcalebaugh
    Having listened to te new FXi50's for about a week I now feel I am able to give an objective opinion. I have never heard the FX500i's, however I do own RT1000i's and the tweeter in the FXi 50's does sound abit softer, however none the less clear. I am pleased with the new speakers. I would reccomend them, they are a good fit for the RT1000's and my CS400i. Now I just need to get the sub. I am leaning toward the new 450 partly because I like the fact of having a complete system but am open to opinions. I say if you are waiting for the FX500i's, you will not be unhappy with the FXi's.

Dave

If you want to stick with Polk subs (other excellent brands not withstanding), consider two 350s stacked with a LFE Y splitter. The 10" woofer is faster and tighter than the 12" in the 450 IMO, and you'll have loads more headroom. The 450 digs a little bit deeper than the 350, but it's not noticeable 99% of the time. Two (200 watts total - 500 watts total dynamic) 350's really pound it out when it comes to volume and air movement - even better than the 165 watt 650, although again not quite as deep by 1/2 an octave or so. Plus, they look quite cool stacked.

Dr. Spec. :D
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • jdeal
    jdeal Posts: 16
    edited April 2002
    If $100.00 is causing you to wonder what to buy, I was at Fry's in Sacramento California last week and got a pair of black f/x500 surrounds, sealed in the factory box for $250.00 on closeout. They had a few black and white pairs left. Check your local store to see what they have left. P.S. also got the cs400I for $200 (floor model)

Good Luck
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by Dcalebaugh
    I am leaning toward the new 450 partly because I like the fact of having a complete system but am open to opinions.

Dave

i would second the vote for the HSU vtf-2. i currently am running 2 of these and am more than happy with them. extremely impressive sub for the $....