Computer question

Options
brgman
brgman Posts: 2,859
edited December 2012 in Going Digital
I am switching from DSL to cable (xfinity) this weekend if they show up.My question is with a router and squeezebox,oppo etc will it screw all them up until i change something in their settings or should it just read the new source and go?:question:
TIA
Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
Post edited by brgman on

Comments

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The only thing you might have to change is how your router logs into the cable modem. The guy from Comcrap (xfinity) should be able to handle that for you.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2012
    Options
    This probably will not apply to you, but it is useful information if anyone ever searches for DSL to Comcast Internet, modem, router problems.

When I went from DSL to cable Internet access my cable modem would not come up. It could not connect to wherever it had to. After trying to resolve this over the phone Comcast sent someone out. It turns out that there was a filter on my line that allowed TV signals to come in, but prevented anything from going out. Which is exactly what a cable modem does. There is two way communication. Apparently, I had a bad piece of cable going to another room that was causing some type of reflections back into the system. Instead of contacting me and fixing the problem, Comcast put a filter on the line that no one knew about. Once the cable was replaced and the filter removed everything worked fine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • brgman
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thanks guys.It would suck if nothing "read" the new signal and i had to screw around with each component but it sounds pretty painless.
    i;m only doing the internet.Directv has worked well for me.
    With all the wifi stuff these days along with a 17 yr old gamer freak the DSL is 10Mbps and the cable is 50 so it should be nice.

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Should be a seamless transition on your end. Switching the WAN source is basically irrelevant to most home user's LAN.

However going from 10Mps to 50Mbps... Not sure it will get you what you want. Bandwidth is incorrectly equated with speed, and in many (most) cases the ISPs actually market it as such. I know Insight Cable here in Louisville does. I just shake my head when I see the commercials. Bandwidth is the size of the pipe--it controls how much data can be sent at once, not how fast the data is sent. Unless you were maxing out your bandwidth at 10Mbps, jumping to 50Mbps will likely have no effect.

It is possible you might have been maxing out your upstream bandwidth, which is usually far less than your downstream bandwidth, in which case there will be a difference. But 10Mbps downstream is overkill for most home users. 50Mbps is extreme overkill.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • brgman
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Syndil wrote: »
    Should be a seamless transition on your end. Switching the WAN source is basically irrelevant to most home user's LAN.

However going from 10Mps to 50Mbps... Not sure it will get you what you want. Bandwidth is incorrectly equated with speed, and in many (most) cases the ISPs actually market it as such. I know Insight Cable here in Louisville does. I just shake my head when I see the commercials. Bandwidth is the size of the pipe--it controls how much data can be sent at once, not how fast the data is sent. Unless you were maxing out your bandwidth at 10Mbps, jumping to 50Mbps will likely have no effect.

It is possible you might have been maxing out your upstream bandwidth, which is usually far less than your downstream bandwidth, in which case there will be a difference. But 10Mbps downstream is overkill for most home users. 50Mbps is extreme overkill.

Ok i read this a few times and still wonder what you mean.I'm old and as Joe walsh says - an Analog Man in a digital world.
    I want my kid to be able to play his Black Ops and whatever without much if any interrution.I want fast music and video downloads,play back of these without a burp if possible,and use my Oppo,laptop and iPads with decent speed.
    Is it possible? If so how?
    As far as overkill,well that ship sailed a long time ago for me.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited December 2012
    Options
    For games and such, latency is 100x more important than bandwidth. But I'd say give the 50Mbps a try and see if it's any better for you. The extra upstream may be what you needed.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • brgman
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yep,latency,that's just what i was thinking. lol.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Mike, There's one thing about your router, If your router's max through put is 10mb's (most older ones are) then that's the max speed your going to get even if your computer's etc... can run at 1gbs. If the modem you get from xfinity is a big black one like this

modem.jpg

It is a modem/router/firewall/WiFi with 1gbs so you can use it as your router instead.

Using this modem/router I get according to Speed Test "Ping 10, DL 35.59Mbs, UL 5.55Mbs".
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • brgman
    edited December 2012
    Options
    i'm guessing it will be similar if not the same.
    I just checked and i get Ping 66,DL 8.93 Mbps,UL .83Mbps

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2012
    Options
    UL .83Mbps

I have to have better than that just for ****.
    Just saying.........if you have never heard **** in 11.2 your missing out!:lol::cheesygrin::cool:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing