Inexpensive 5.1 receiver

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2012 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
My trusty Denon 2801 receiver of many many good years succumbed to the last hurricane when a power outage at my house created a short and blew out my receiver and cable box despite being plugged into surge protection.

I'm looking for an inexpensive 5.1 to replace it, it must have preouts as I use 2 Adcom Amps (front and rear) and an Outlaw (center) in my home theater.

I'm looking for minimal investment right now as I don't have the funding for a nice unit. It doesn't need to have HDMI switching or anything of that fancy stuff. I'm probably looking for your basic receiver that you've probably already replaced with something fancy and put on the shelf in your garage.

I'd prefer to stay with Denon if possible, and the unit must be black.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• Oldmanind
    Oldmanind Posts: 49
    edited December 2012
    I have a denon 1802 with remote and original box if you would be interested
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    Does it have pre-outs?
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited December 2012
    What's your budget?
    I know it's not a Denon but i have an Onkyo 807 begging for a new home.
    Pre-outs, black, brand new HDMI board, and plenty of power.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited December 2012
    I have an extra Harman Kardon AVR-354 that I bought directly for HK as a "reconditioned" unit. It was only bought as a backup. Used about 25hrs just to test. Been in box ever since. Plastic still on remote and face of unit. List was 899.00. Will not sell lower than 350.00 though.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    Sub $200.
    Devlon wrote: »
    I have an extra Harman Kardon AVR-354 that I bought directly for HK as a "reconditioned" unit. It was only bought as a backup. Used about 25hrs just to test. Been in box ever since. Plastic still on remote and face of unit. List was 899.00. Will not sell lower than 350.00 though.

I'll pass thanks. Way too nice for my use.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited December 2012
    If your search for Denon fails, I've got a black Marantz SR-780 with pre-outs. Wanting $100 if interested.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited December 2012
    marantz have hdmi?
    how much for the denon
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    or the onkyo
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited December 2012
    No HDMI on Marantz.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    ok thank you
  • Oldmanind
    Oldmanind Posts: 49
    edited December 2012
    Yes has pre outs for all channels
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    Oldmanind wrote: »
    Yes has pre outs for all channels

What's your price on it? Also is it black or silver?
  • bassaholic
    bassaholic Posts: 315
    edited December 2012
    I've got a minty denon 3805 ill let go for $200
    Pioneer SC-37
    RTiA9-fronts
    CSiA6-center
    RT55i-surrounds
    SVS PB13 Ultra & PSW650
    Monster Power 3250 amp
    Monster Power 2250 amp
    Monster Power HDP-2500 surge pro.

Denon 3805,CS400i,RT25i's & FX500i's sitting in the basement collecting dust
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    Going to pass on the 3805 for now and see if I can find something a little cheaper. Very nice receiver, but might be a bit much for me and it's at the very top of the budget.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited December 2012
    Unless you can get one for less than $50 for the time being, don't buy used old technology receiver.
    Get a brand new Pioneer or Onkyo 5.1 or even 7.1 receiver from Amazon for less than $200 shipped
    They have the latest true-HD, dts-hd sound along with 1.4a HDMI that passes audio as well as have return channel and 3D support.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    The problem is that none of those units have preouts.
  • Mystery
    edited December 2012
    I see.
    Do you have a pre-amp?
    If you do, you can use that to power your amp as well as an A/V receiver that doesn't have pre-out.

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    Nope. Just need an AV receiver 5.1 with preouts. Could care less about true-HD, Dolby This, HDM1.4a....can't be bothered with it anymore. I just want my basic 5.1 surround sound. :mrgreen:
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited December 2012
    How about my Denon AVR-1500 ? Pre-outs, fair shape . . .

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • orrb_05
    orrb_05 Posts: 215
    edited December 2012
    I've got a Boston AVR7120 - has pre-outs.

I have the manual and remote - can't find the calibration mic though and the original box went in the trash sometime ago.

Not a scratch on it...
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    orrb_05 wrote: »
    I've got a Boston AVR7120 - has pre-outs.

I have the manual and remote - can't find the calibration mic though and the original box went in the trash sometime ago.

Not a scratch on it...

How much you looking to get for it?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    GlennDog wrote: »
    How about my Denon AVR-1500 ? Pre-outs, fair shape . . .

G

Can you send me the specs on it? I can't find any info about it anywhere. Was it part of a home theater system?
  • orrb_05
    orrb_05 Posts: 215
    edited December 2012
    How much you looking to get for it?

I'd do $250 delivered - I know that's the top of your range, but it's a good piece of kit.

These were $3k when the debuted, and were later discounted down to $900+ when Boston was bought out.
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited December 2012
    Just chiming in here to make sure you saw my PM from the middle of last week. Let me know if you're interested in the H/K - thanks!

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2012
    Greetings Mark!

I have a Marantz SR6200, 5.1, Dolby, DTS, etc. I has preouts on all channels AND a remote. Works great. $125 plus shipping. I will need to find some boxes. I don't know if I have the original box. This thing is heavy and built like a tank. Works fine. I stand behind all my sales. PM me if interested.
    Carl

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2012
    I had the Marantz 7200, best I have EVER owned as far as AVR's go.
    That said the HK's are no slouch, I still have a AVR300.
    Sounds like total sh$t for the first 45 minutes.

After that pure magic (only 60 watts).
    Truely a sweet ride!:cheesygrin:
    Truely DO NOT make them like that anymore!
    Pretty special sounding amp (pre outs:cheesygrin:).
    Never sold it after all these years, and give it an hour to warm up, you might understand why I would never sell it.
    Most reliable piece of equipment I have ever owned (prolly owned it 15 years at least).
    Very, very good preamp also.

Might look for one, as I am sure they are not worth much, until you get your ears on one.
    Then they get more expensive!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2012
    PS: I ran a bi-wired pair of Infinity Crescendo's CS3007's and never felt the least bit under powered with the AVR300.
    But the Infinity's are 93db/1m, so YMMV!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Mystery
    edited December 2012
    Just a question, can you not use L/R rca out instead of pre-outs?
    That way any cheapo a/v receiver will work for the time being.

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2012
    Thanks all, the search is over. I actually decided to downscale my system a bit from 3 external amps to 1 and thus went ahead and purchased a new Marantz Slimline NR1602. Has lots of neat goodies in it.