Questions for SDA owners::

Options
sgtgto
sgtgto Posts: 310
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi Guys:

How do you compare the sound of your SDAs with today's speakers. I know you will have a fuller, broader soundstage, but how do they compare with clarity, timbre, and true reproduction of an instrument or band.

Also, do you think that because of age the components may be breaking down and it has happened so subtle that you don't notice it. I would like a pair with four mids, two tweeters, and 12" woofer but I worry about the age factor.

Would like your input.

Thanks

Gary
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Gary: I own a pair of SDA SRS's, & SDA CRS's. How they compare to today's speakers? At there price quite simply put {THERE IS NO COMPARISON} They are very full and broad with very natural sound. In my opinion they are clear and reproduce music well, maybe weak in the timbre area which I like. Remember ALL our ears are differant and hear things differantly. As for age of components, not sure of the facts there. I am actually going to take mine in to have checked out with a friend that is a genius in this field and does this for a living. Do we notice a difference from before to now---good question, but I don't think so? You need to check out the flea market, audiogon, & e-bay you will find the speakers of your dreams for an awesome price. I SIMPLY LOVE MY SDA'S and will probably die with them. Good luck and remember to have fun.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Sgtgto,

Don't worry about age, like a fine wine, SDA's just get better with time. If you find a pair that is in good cosmetic condition and has not been abused, you have nothing to worry about. Polk built these things to last. Unless there is a radical change in the crossover component's values, you are not going to notice a sonic difference. The value tolerance of the capacitors and resistors in the crossover networks is +/- 10% anyway.

What do I consider abuse? Driving the speakers to high sound volumes using wimpy, low powered amps and/or receivers. The distortion generated by amps pushed beyond their capabilities does unpleasant things to voice coils and can cause premature aging and breakdown in capacitors. One thing you always want to ask is what type of amp was used to drive the speakers and at what listening levels. You also want to inquire about any modifications or repairs performed.

I have six pairs of SDA's, four of which have been modified with higher grade capacitors and resistors in the crossover networks. The higher grade parts provide some small, but noticeable improvements in imaging and sound definition. My two unmodified pairs have excellent sonic characteristics with regard to timbre, clarity, and naturalness of sound. Both of these are 13 years old and I bought them second hand. My "oldest" SDA's, a pair of SDA 1B's, are 16 years old and have modified crossovers. I have not found anything yet that would make me want to get rid of them. My avocation is music (saxophone) and I first became interested in SDA's because they reproduced instruments so naturally. Some of my musical colleagues have bought SDA's for the same reason.

There are three things to be mindful of before buying SDA's:

(1) SDA's work best with jazz, classical, and other music that is recorded to sound "natural". You really won't get the full benefit of these speakers imaging and resolution capabilities while playing heavily processed music (like most rock and pop).

(2) Be sure your room is of appropriate size. For optimum imaging, SDA's need at least 3 feet from side walls and at least 4 feet between the speakers.

(3) You need a high current amp of at least 200 watts per channel for best sonic results.

Good luck with your search.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Don't worry about age. If they start to sound funky... polk stocks replacement parts. No worries. I think the rubber surrounds help the sda's to last darn near forever.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks guys:

I would like to latch on to a pair of SDA 1Cs. How old are those?

Gary
  • DarqueKnight
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The 1C was made from 1988 to 1989.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2002
    Options
    An owner of SDAs for thirteen years plus, I'll own them for at least another thirteen. That's how much I like them. I've listened to other speakers (not Polk) that are more acurrate in the mid and high range but at price points that are many times the new MSRP of the SDAs. When I bought my RT3000Ps, I thought I had a contender to unseat my 2.3s on my main two channel HS. They are fine speakers but not good enough to replace the 2.3s. I also don't feel any of my SDAs are degrading with age. I'd be willing to bet they would test the same today as they did years ago.

Basically, if you haven't owned a pair, try them. (Ones in good condition.) You don't have to pay near the full retail price for them and could probably get your money back out of them if you decide they're not for you.
    And: The 1Cs would be a good choice.

The SDA-1 family for the record:

SDA-1 1982 & '83
    '82-MSRP-$2000pr

SDA-1A 1984 & '85

SDA-1B 1986 & '87
    '87-MSRP-$1398pr

SDA-1C 1888, '89 & '90
    '88-MSRP-$1600pr
    '89-MSRP-$1700pr
    '90-MSRP-$1800pr
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I will assume you have seen my 1C's for sell over at the Flea Market, Email if you are interested, see if we can make a deal.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • DarqueKnight
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Always on the prowl for new business, huh Russ? What did you do with your 1.2TL's?
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    Options
    They are sitting in an empty office here at work :( I think a co-worker here is going to take them home :(:( I am really going to try and get the LSi's all around, I am thinking smaller stuff just might make thru the door and I will be able to use some of this stuff. The room addition will not be taking place anytime soon, so I see them as tied up cash. I am sure I will miss these AGAIN.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."