Dear Polk

warviper
warviper Posts: 585
edited February 29 in Clubhouse Archives
Hey guys let me start off by saying that I love this forum. But sadly lately there has been a main stream news feel to the forum. All that seems to be getting the most attention are the bad sides of people and of the forum and I think that it is time for Polk to stand up and try to put a more positive spin on things.

Here is my idea and maybe we can get going on this real fast. I would like to get a Hall Of Fame going here. In the hall of fame there would be the best of the best threads only. Pure audio and no crap. What I feel this site needs is a mountain that we can try to climb it, that would be the HoF, and not the HoS, which would be the pit that has been dug so that we may fall into it deeper and deeper.

The HoS is a good idea because I find it humorous to see what type of silly things that has happened in the past and maybe we could all learn from it, but it is a rather bad side of the forum that is available at one click of the mouse. How bout we do the same thing but only put the most knowledgeable threads or the one that shows off the caring and helpful side of the forum.

We would need intense moderation in the HoF. The threads should not end and they should remain active. Any person that post the first negative thought in the HoF should be banned for a considerable amount of time. That should help keep the bad stuff from starting. I would consider three weeks for a first offense to be stiff enough. The moderators should make the call just like when they decide to send something to the HoS but they should be even more sensitive and quicker acting.

If a member sees something that is considered not headed in the right direction they should Type STOP and all other members should wait until the post is either deleted or the moderator types GO.

I understand that I am not a senior member of this forum but I do care about audio and the way that Polk is represented to the new member.

I also feel that the HoF should be on the first page and not part of the off topic and it should not be near the Political Play Ground, which IMHO is just another HoS.

I would like to nominate the Cable Swap thread and the Texas Polk Gathering thread as possible HoF material. Please add any threads that you would also consider HoF worthy.

I feel that most of the great threads about audio should be combined into one place so that they are easily accessible.

Please post any ideas that you may have.
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2004
    Then again ...

One can choose to not reply to and/or ignore certain sections of the forum and/or certain threads and/or certain posters ... i.e. if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, did it make any sound ?
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Hey I was hoping to get all the good threads to geather thats all. I will chose whats post to respond to just like every one else does. Some falling trees deserve to be heard.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2004
    The Hall of fame is a good idea. I'm not sure you can dictate how a thread will evolve.

PW,

You and a few others haven't been here long enough to realize that the political crap you morons are posting is bringing forum down quickly. There's a lot of core members that aren't posting here anymore. The Political Playground should be taken out. Experiment over.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    WV,

I agree ... a HOF would be a good thing.

DC,

If you read through my past opinions regarding posting of political, religious and ethnic stuff, then you'd know that I'd agree it doesn't belong here, but Polk in their inifinite wisdom decided to put it out in left field instead of putting it off the board. I start NO topics there, but since others do sometimes I feel a need to respond. If you don't think any of that material belongs on the board then by all means just DON'T GO THERE or make enough noise to the gods of the board to get it completely off. I'd be just as happy as you to get rid of it.

As far as the "you morons" comment goes ... that belongs here even less ...
  • dcarlson
    edited May 2004
    Well, maybe this thread will help to get rid of the crap.

Until recently, I've stayed out of most all political posts. BUT, there's not much audio going on here, and the political stuff is still there and not contributing to the better of the forum.

I myself am close to taking my thoughts and questions elsewhere.

**Edit**
    Sorry for the morons thing, I'm just tired of all of it.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    One would think from the results of this poll http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18234 in which I voted with the majority that it should be removed as this I think would be called an overwhelming majority of opinion from those who participated.

Why it hasn't been is unfortunately NOT under my control.

I'm tired of it too, because unfortunately I don't seem to be able to ignore it.

Maybe all who feel this way need to continually badger our local congressman Micah and President Justin to get it off permanently.

Hint, hint ...
  • johnny_utah
    johnny_utah Posts: 117
    edited May 2004
    I have just recently started posting here and feel a need to respond when posts are made in the political forum. I have decided I will not post there anymore. I think it should be removed and there should more posting covering audio and video. Maybe a section for polk audio, a section for other audio brands (speakers and receivers) and a section for video like HD stuff.

If you disagree with someone you should be able to post it. You can't suspend someone for name calling. But if the Political forum was removed it would cut most of that out. At that point you could suspend someone for posting political things.

Just some thoughts.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by johnny_utah
    If you disagree with someone you should be able to post it.
    I agree ...
    You can't suspend someone for name calling.
    This I don't agree with and I suspect a lot of new members that disappear or don't participate much because this is how some of them get treated early on, not in the off topics sections but in the audio sections. There have even been some additional disappearances of longer term members in the not too distant past due to this sort of unmoderated thing. In the off-topic and off-off-topic sections this is almost to be expected I suppose, but imho it doesn't add anything positive to the board.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2004
    I thought they added the political forum to give spyderman (and others who wish to talk politics) a place to post without annoying the rest of us. Seems it worked, at least for me... Of course I have have never even been there.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dcarlson
    edited May 2004
    I stayed out for the most part but when the "Do you support...." thread continues to stay alive... and pops up everytime you hit the new posts, I take back everything I said about the political forum being ok as long as you stay away.

• johnny_utah
    johnny_utah Posts: 117
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie
    This I don't agree with and I suspect a lot of new members that disappear or don't participate much because this is how some of them get treated early on, not in the off topics sections but in the audio sections. There have even been some additional disappearances of longer term members in the not too distant past due to this sort of unmoderated thing. In the off-topic and off-off-topic sections this is almost to be expected I suppose, but imho it doesn't add anything positive to the board.

Agreed. I guess I was thinking if we got rid of the political forum it would get rid of the name calling, but if has spread elsewhere something needs to be done about it. How can you name call when talking about audio / video?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited May 2004
    It's not hard...

stick around -- you will see

I have been here for 2-3 years now, and I have probally been called named I didnt know existed :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    How can you name call when talking about audio / video?
    I suggest you back up prior to the Political Playground and restrict your reading to just the audio forums and see what you see ... It's not that it's spread from the Political Playground to here ... The political playground was an attempt to offload stuff related to politics elsewhere and with it a fair amount of name calling, but the name calling has never been solely associated with that topic or for that matter with stuff only in off-topic although there's a fair amount of it in off topic at any given time. For your reading pleasure check out some of the recent long threads there ...
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2004
    I like the idea of a Hall of Fame. I think it would enhance this forum. I also agree that name calling and other bad threads and/or posts should simply be deleted, not sent to the HoS where everyone else can read it. Negative threads, i.e., name calling, inappropriate language, etc. is not the image a company-sponsored forum should support, nor is it the activity most of us come here to engage in.

I've learned a lot about audio on this forum in a relatively short period of time, and appreciate everyone's input. There's still much more to learn, and I'll support any effort that will facilitate the learning process for all of the members.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    The problem with that approach is just like in the world you get suicide bombers ... At least ever lengthing periods in detention would eliminate it ... for awhile.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Early B.
    I also agree that name calling and other bad threads and/or posts should simply be deleted, not sent to the HoS where everyone else can read it.

The reason that was done is that a few members were ripping people off. If the threads had been deleted then these scammers could set up newbies and others who didn't know about them one after another and take their money with no one being the wiser. It was a very wise idea to create the hall of shame. What it did was allow us to just post a link to the person rather than getting into a big fiasco on each and every thread they posted. Talk about a nasty time in the forum history!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited May 2004
    I think the HoF is a decent idea. But the rest of the crap really doesn't bother me. If wasn't for the rest of the thread (non-AV), I wouldn't have a reason to come back on a regular basis. But when ever I do have an audio or video question (or anyone else for that matter), the answer is ALWAYS here and always responded to quickly, and I always give my opinion and share my knowledge whenever someone else has a question.

Basically, you don't like something, don't read it (Doctor, doctor it hurts when I do this! Then don't do that!).

I would be nice to be able to find good older theads on specific topics (there are only so many Bi-wiring threads I can read through to find the answer).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2004
    It's not that the HoF is a bad idea, but I think that it's a resource problem. Justin and Micah can't police this board enough for the bad threads, let alone being here full time to put those that are worth of HoF status in their own place......

It comes down to the question that people have asked before about having a forum rep type moderator, which has been deemed unlikely by those in the several threads it's been suggested......(considering it's months, almost years, later I'd say it's safe to assume that it's not gonna happen)

Ultimately the whole board should be a HoF.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Ultimately the whole board should be a HoF.........

That is the way that it should be but sadley that is not going to happen. I just dont want the realy good threads to dissapear. There are lots of great threads that have died because evrything had already been said.
  • Kiminism
    Kiminism Posts: 44
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie
    I agree ...

Sorry...Finals, alot of school, and I am too lazy to type anything non- homework related...Ill pick it up next year...