What 5 channel amp should I buy?

Options
mark g. nelson
mark g. nelson Posts: 134
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I have thought about adding a 5 channel amp to my system. I'm very happy with my system, but I worry about pushing my receiver to hard. With a better power supply that has some head room I think my system will be complete.

What 5 channel amps to you guys recommend. I have looked at the following:

Adcom 7500 - 150x5 8ohm, 225x5 4ohm. I have a connection that will sell me this amp for $800 new.

Outlaw Audio's new 755 - 200x5 8ohm, 300x5 4ohm. This will run me $ 1299 + s/h.

My System:

RT2000p mains
CS1000p center
RT1000i rears
PSW1200 Sub
Panasonic SuperFlat 36"
Pioneer Elite VSX-29TX
Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD combo
Panasonic SVHS VCR

Thank You for any help you guys might have.
Mark
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    Options
    First of all I have no experience with either, I can only tell you I have seen around the net.

Adcom = is slightly harsh and has/had build quality issues
    Outlaw = only good things written

Like I said all this is hear say, I have no proof.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I dont know if you have the new Yamaha rxv 2200 but its a smoothie, and has all the latest technology, check it out bang for bucks nothing beats it, Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Adcom used to have a little bite on top - but that was back when they used bipolar transistors. They have since went to MOSFETS which are very smooth.

The Adcom is a winner. If you can really get the 7500 for $800 then this is an absolute no brainer. Them Canadians know how to build amps.

Besides - the Outlaw stuff breaks my first rule of audio:

Thou Shalt Not Buy An Ugly Component

http://www.adcom.com/main/gfa_7500.htm
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Mark,

Can you share your Adcom connection with the rest of us?

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Bryston makes me horny. Gotta love those Canadians.

Aaron
  • mark g. nelson
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks for all your reply's.
    My connection for the adcom is my local Ultimate Electronics. There is a guy named paul that knows his stuff. Should be the manager in my opinion. I buy all I can from him, and I send all my family and friends to him. He keeps track of how much business I throw him and then Lets me have things on a cost + basis when it adds up. I would be screwed with out his discounts.
    Ulitmate sold Polk years ago. But when CC started selling they dropped Polk for Boston. Paul is a Polk head and wishes they would come back.
    Paul also said they have had problems with adcom Pre/Pro's but not the Amps.
    Is there any other brands I should check out.
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Well there are always other good choices - and if you're not going to consider the cost/performance issue than you can look at:

B&K - which makes some very good stuff. About $1.5K

If you got the money then you can crank thinks up another notch and go with Bryston. About $3K

Buy the Adcom
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The Adcom is a winner. If you can really get the 7500 for $800 then this is an absolute no brainer. Them Canadians know how to build amps.
    Dean,

I thought Adcom was an American company based in New Jersey?

Speaking of Canadian amps, I've been thinking of getting a Bryston 14B-ST amp (500 watts into 8 ohms) to drive my SDA 1.2TL's.

Anyone here with any experience with Bryston amps?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    Options
    If you're looking for an integrated amp/decoder might check out the Arcam AVR-200. That is what I am gonna buy one of these days...

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Adcom is in Marlboro New Jersey

Wow - and all these years I thought they were Canadian.

I own the Bryston 3B-ST. That's the amp I want to put on some LSi9's ;)
    Dean

• mark g. nelson
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I think I will go get the Adcom. I called Paul and he can get me 12 month free financing.
    What cables do you guys use for the pre-outs. (stereo,Digital)

Mark
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Oh no! A cable question!

The kiss of death on any forum.

I use TMC's (Truly Balanced XLR/XLR between my Bryston and SFL-1)

TMC makes a real nice cable.

Buy them here new. Kind of Pricey.

http://www.the-music-cable.com/

You can also bid on a new set or two new sets here:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablintr&1015898404&auc&3&4&
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablintr&1015901926&auc&3&4&

Another alternative is to just go to www.audiogoN.com and cruise through the cables section and pick up a good deal on some used ones.

If you get tired of thinking - just get a set of Monster M550i's. It's a very good cable for the money.
    Dean

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    please stop the cable train before it gets out of control.

scott:cool:
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited March 2002
    Options
    When I was shopping for separate amp/pre-amp combinations, I listened to every manufacturer available locally.

For the performance/price combination, I decided on Rotel. At the time of purchase, my selection (RB-980BX) was on the Stereophile C list of components. This was icing on the cake. The latest version of the amp is the RB-1070.

I also have purchased the RMB-1075. I continue to use the 980 for the front main L+R speakers (will not be replaced until it dies or I can afford a Sim Audio, Classe etc. amp) and use the 1075 for surround channels.

These amps power:

LSi9 front
    LSiC center
    FX500 surround (will be upgraded to LSi series in future)

These amps are truly high current designs.

Polk speakers are very efficient. Please keep in mind that the amp will only sound as good as the input signal provided. Do not allocate all of your money to a massive amp. 120 high current watts per channel is sufficient unless you have a VERY large room. I have never turned the volume past the 11:00 am position for any speakers (Monitor 10, RT20p and LSi9) I have owned.

A 120 watt per channel amp with a high quality source (pre-amp, pre-amp processor etc.) will perform better than a 200 watt per channel amp with a mediocre source.

Prior speaker arrangement:

RT20p
    CS400i
    FX500
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    lemme know when you are parting with your fx500's...;) i may be able to help with your LSi purchase...
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    Options
    dose bryston make a 6 channel amp i know they make a 5 channel, or do you have the get 2 -3 channel amps do you have there web site handy. thanks dean
    ps i know that bryston is a awesome amp period
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Options
    MARK: You got a real nice system, I just think you also need more power. I could be wrong but I also heard that adcom has had problems and maybe on there way out. It's worth checking into. I presently own a sherbourn 5/1500 amp and it is quite simply amazing. For you that don't know of there quality---The main man was the big boy from McIntosh need I say more. The owner wanted to come out with quality merchandise at an affordable price. The amp is 5 mono amps built in one chasis and is an easy 80# plus. It is really amazing and has plenty of headroom. It retail for approx. $2000.00 and is underprised. You should be able to pick this up on audiogon or e-bay for maybe $1000-$1200. Just my humble opinion to help you out. Have fun.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i cant say the time style turning in my recever caues i can turn it in circles and have any one herd a b&k amp i saw a 7270 for about 2k and you can get the pre for about the same on line
  • mark g. nelson
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    Mark