Photos of my turntables

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
edited November 2012 in The Clubhouse
Inspired by the "My Rediscovery of Vinyl" thread (Link), I asked my good friend to return the Ortofon needles that I had been letting him use because I realized I've been severely neglecting my own vinyl.

So today I removed the Numark V7 from my setup, which was my digital interface to spin mp3s, and put my second turntable back in it's place to go all analog once again!
tables.jpg

Now you know why I said turntables in my post title! Two Technics SL-1200 mk2s to be exact! I purchased them brand new back in 2000 for $500 each - they still work exactly as well as they did the first time I turned them on! How's that for build quality?

So for a little over an hour today I mixed and listened to a few of my records and remembered just how good vinyl can sound. Now, granted, I'm not running a high end belt drive unit with a mega expensive stylus, but even so I was immediately captivated by the punchy deep bass and all around warm sound of the music. One thing is also immediately apparent, I need to invest in a quality brush immediately to combat dust!
needle.jpg

needle2.jpg

Anybody else here ever mix music for fun? I have been spinning tunes for roughly the past 12 years, but just for my own enjoyment - never felt the need to get club gigs or do parties. I spin drum n bass and if you want to hear some different music, I'd be happy to send you a link to download my newest mix, just PM me. Another thing I realized today is how much I enjoy using my mixer and how great it looks. I forget about it's good looks since it spends most of it's time under a dust cover!
mixer.jpg

mixer2.jpg

mixer3.jpg

Speaking of neglect, I seriously need to log some more hours on my KRK RP6 G2 studio monitors, as they sounded absolutely wonderful today. Highly recommended if you are in the market for an inexpensive entry level monitor setup. Some will complain that their response is not completely flat and that they color the sound, but they sound damn good to me and have plenty of power from their built in amps.
speaker.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed the photos and definitely post up your own turntable setup here if you have one, would love to see any and all!

As a side note, anyone ever seen a mistake like this on a record they've purchased? It's not playable where the "second" label is over the grooves. I actually emailed the label about this when I bought it, sadly, no response!
weird_mistake.jpg
Post edited by Clipdat on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2012
    Nice tables. I cringe when i see you guys scratching on those tables. I bought my son a set of Numarks a few years ago.
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2012
    Well fortunately for you I'm just a mix DJ, I don't even know how to scratch - probably couldn't do it to save my life!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2012
    I would certainly expect a record to sound better than MP3s. :rolleyes:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I would certainly expect a record to sound better than MP3s. :rolleyes:

What's the point of this post? Honestly I'm just wondering what the intention was after reading my post to post only that as a response. Bizarre.

Is it because I mentioned mp3 somewhere in the post that this now suddenly has to turn into a mp3 vs vinyl thread? I'm fully aware that vinyl has a better sound than mp3s, I was simply trying to share my excitement about my experience today after having utilized the V7 for the past year while letting my records sit.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited November 2012
    Some people can be such D-Bags sometimes!
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2012
    I wasn't knocking your setup. Its a great turntable & DJ setup for mixing ( and scratching ). I was more refurring to the way most DJ's mix & scratch now. I always treated turntables with kid gloves and then i see the beating these tables get ( from my son & his friends ) is what makes me cringe. Seems like abuse to me. I know its what modern DJ-ing is all about. Its just harsh to my old ways. Great TT's by the way. I'm useing the Chinese knockoff Audio Technica now wishing i had a Technics 1200.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2012
    Cool setup, and I totally agree on the KRK's. I still want a set of active monitors for the office so I can go Computer ->USB DAC->Powered Monitors. Short sweet signal chain, great for nearfield listening as well :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2012
    chumlie: I know you weren't knocking anything, and I completely understand the "kid gloves" comment. You should have seen how protective I was of these tables when I first got them. I literally wouldn't let anyone touch them!

Enders: Go for it! Even the KRK RP5s would be great for an office setup, that 5" woofer puts out a surprising amount of bass. Bonus if your USB DAC has balanced XLR out!
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2012
    How's this for a vinyl haul:
    IMG_0276.jpg

Exactly 97 records a good friend allowed me to borrow! Trust me when I say that this barley made a dent in his impressive collection!

As a side note, I'm shocked that nobody else felt like posting up their turntable setup! Comon guys, show me your impressive analog rigs!
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2012
    Well I wouldn't exactly call it an "impressive" vinyl rig compared to some of the other's rigs out there, but I like it. It's a KAB modded Technics Sl-1200 Mk2 with a Dynavector 20XH cartridge with the Soundsmith ruby cantilever and nude diamond stylus. It sounds great. I have it playing through a Jolida JD-9 phono pre with RCA blackplate 12AX7 tubes.
    IMAG0045system.jpg
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited November 2012
    nice setup ^
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2012
    Here's two of my three Micro Seiki tables:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Dawgfish
    edited November 2012
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    nice setup ^

Thanks, I appreciete that! Man there are some nice tables in this thread. I'm really looking forward to getting that Sony Biotracer table into the mix early next week. Looks like the 1200s are well represented on this thread. It's good to see them getting some hifi respect. They are awesome tables! Those Micro Seikis are gorgeous. I've always wanted one of those.
  • jtshaw43
    jtshaw43 Posts: 161
    edited November 2012
    Wow! Seeing your technics 1200's brings back memories of my dj days. It also makes me want another set. Enjoy them for me!!!!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited November 2012
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Not the best rig in the world...but it's the best one I got!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2012
    Dawgfish: Nice equipment rack and LSiM703s! Nice to know that the SL-1200 takes kindly to exotic audiophile upgrades!

Polkersince85: Now we're talking! Love the shade of the wood on those tables. I wouldn't mind spending some intimate "quality time" with that table on the right, if you know what I mean.

Keiko: Nice tables, I've used them in a DJ rig in the past, so smooth! Also cool pics, and I like the look of that headshell. Do you feel that the record weight you use makes a noticeable difference in sound quality?

hochpt21: There is something to be said for simplicity, love the design of that table, very minimal and modern. What kind of mat is that on the platter? Does it have some sort of anti static quality to it?

jtshaw43: You bet I will enjoy them for you! I actually took Wednesday off of work this week for the sole reason to mix records all day long! Should be glorious!
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2012
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Polkersince85: Now we're talking! Love the shade of the wood on those tables. I wouldn't mind spending some intimate "quality time" with that table on the right, if you know what I mean.

Just to let you know, it's not a virgin, trust me.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited November 2012
    Nice tables guys. The Technics have sure held their value over the years, $500. for a new one was a good investment. The Micro Seiki tables are stunning, as well as the rest.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited November 2012
    Does it have some sort of anti static quality to it?

No, its for slip/vibration control. I still run the anti-static brush on each side before droppin the needle.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Dawgfish
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Clipdat. I bought the Sony PS-X75 Biotracer table from Rtart here on the board and had a chance to play it most last week. Man does it sound awesome. I'll get some pictures up soon. You can actually see pictures for it here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?138576-Sony-PS-X75-Biotracer-Turntable-and-Technics-U205CMk3-Cartridge